Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 16, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #8,431 of 48,583
Okay, I've looked at the Pro and Premium versions of the DT990, and must ask,

Although i know this is based off console, do you think a Asus Xonar DG (with a built in Headphone app that has been said to be half decent) could power the premiums with their 600 Ohms?

If not could you recommend an amp that would power them nicely without destroying wallets? if not, i may have to go with the PRO's, which i am perfectly happy with doing.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #8,432 of 48,583
The Pros sounds different in which it has quite a bit more bass presence and less mids than the Premiums.

That soundcard wouldn't do the 600ohm justice. The E09K sounds pretty capable with the 600ohm and won't break the bank.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #8,433 of 48,583
Quote:
Okay, I've looked at the Pro and Premium versions of the DT990, and must ask,
Although i know this is based off console, do you think a Asus Xonar DG (with a built in Headphone app that has been said to be half decent) could power the premiums with their 600 Ohms?
If not could you recommend an amp that would power them nicely without destroying wallets? if not, i may have to go with the PRO's, which i am perfectly happy with doing.

The Asus Xonar DG are fairly maxed out driving 250-Ohm headphones.
Better to get 250-Ohm Pros and spend more cash toward a amplifier.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #8,434 of 48,583
Wow alot to read, glad your liking all the different 990s Mad <3

Also nice avatar again

Also

Japanese Remastered 24bit 1950's Classical Jazz on the Dt 880 ... have you died yet <3 it's really magical! Those extra couple of 40khrz white noise fragments really liven the Sax up alot! And the Dt 880 REALLY holds a WONDERFUL warmth in that sax [mind you I'm sourcing out of my Pc +FooBar+cMoy BB (Bass on )

Say what you will but it's magical, and I only hope the Hifiman hm 601 won't kill it [but it usually doesn't some times stuff is better off the Hifiman] 

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #8,435 of 48,583
Quote:
Wow alot to read, glad your liking all the different 990s Mad <3

Also nice avatar again

Also

Japanese Remastered 24bit 1950's Classical Jazz on the Dt 880 ... have you died yet <3 it's really magical! Those extra couple of 40khrz white noise fragments really liven the Sax up alot! And the Dt 880 REALLY holds a WONDERFUL warmth in that sax [mind you I'm sourcing out of my Pc +FooBar+cMoy BB (Bass on )

Say what you will but it's magical, and I only hope the Hifiman hm 601 won't kill it [but it usually doesn't some times stuff is better off the Hifiman] 

How do the Fiio E11 and the cMoy BB compare to each other?

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #8,436 of 48,583
Quote:
How do the Fiio E11 and the cMoy BB compare to each other?

there are slight differeances

The E11 is a little colder and a littler smaller in Sound Stage [I think that is due to the aggressive bass] but there is more bass attack and equal detail

cMoy has the same Bass Presence, the attack is not as good [E11 Bass is NASTY] Mids an highs are a little more forward and sound stage a little bigger

End story Pair the E11 with a EDM can or darker music that will enjoy it's cold highs, and angry bass. An like most Fiio amps it's a little dark in sound sig 

Pair the cMoy with something that is more neutral or with well mastered dynamic music, something that benifits from a little more mids and milder bass

Also I tested both amps with my XB 700s and Dt 880s [the Hifiman was on High and Low gain respectivly when used with Xb 700]

The Dt 880 again did not sound good with the aggressive bass [when paired with music like Jeremy Soules Secrect of Evermore OST [I have 16bit lossless to] which is very heavy paino music simply. And the darker warmer sound made the sound stage smaller to me [cMoy was much better with Piano tunes and Dt 880]

with XB 700 well all my flacs sounded terrible first of all and the E11 made em worse... but I did test some Dub Step Tunes on both cans Earth a Run Red- Digital Mystkiz [all 320 sry] and with the Dt 880 the E11 was only slighty better than the cMoy with bass presence and with the XB 700 the E11 was CLEARY more aggressive and had a little more kick than the cMoy by far

So once again, in terms of simple bass

E11 likes BOOM BOOM bass
cMoy likes WHOOM WHOOM bass <3

So I'm happy I went with the cMoy first then the E11, also (this makes me really happy) My E11 fits perfectly in my pocket with my Zune HD and it's case so YAY the Darker bass heavy amp fits with the Darker Bass heavy DAP [

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #8,437 of 48,583
Quote:
Just remember, this has all been for MUSIC. E17+E9K. I haven't gone to testing the E9K with the Mixamp and gaming yet. Not sure what DAC/source you have to pair with the E9K when you're not gaming.

I was planning on going DAC-less for the time being.  I mostly listen to music on my Macbook Pro with a pair of IEMs (TF10s), I just want a solid solution for use with my videogames and the E9K fits the 'desktop amp' bill, as well.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #8,438 of 48,583
If you have a spdif out, you could always spend just $26 on the Fiio D3. For your DAC. Trust me, it works. Better than the E7's DAC, and I couldn't tell the difference between it, the NFB5, and E17's DAC.

In fact, now that I'm not using the soundbar, which was my reason for owning the D3, I'm gonna A/B the D3 and E17 with the DT990s.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #8,439 of 48,583
Quote:
If you have a spdif out, you could always spend just $26 on the Fiio D3. For your DAC. Trust me, it works. Better than the E7's DAC, and I couldn't tell the difference between it, the NFB5, and E17's DAC.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1556&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

That would be my gateway to the D3.  It is good to know that I can get ahold of a capable DAC to use with my computer on the cheap.  Not sure if I want to jump on that immediately, but I will definitely keep it in mind if I'm pleased with the performance of the E09K with the DT990 32s.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #8,440 of 48,583
I think the D3 comes with an optical cable. All you'd need is the 3.5mm spdif adapter, which should cost almost nothing everywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-Fiber-Optic-Toslink-Adapter/dp/B0002MQGRM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350447880&sr=8-2&keywords=optical+3.5mm+adapter

Though I'd probably just get that monoprice cable anyways, as it's longer and will arrive faster.

I'll keep you posted on the D3 vs E17 dacs.

In fact, since I don't need the D3 anymore, I'll send it to you. Just pay me the shipping and its yours. PM me if you want it.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #8,441 of 48,583
I live in a condo, so volume is a concern of mine as well. I've been keeping the subwoofer turned down as much as I can. I have yet to get a complaint.

I can somewhat pick people out with just the stereo setup I have right now. Of course, left and right placement is very easy, but front to back is challenging. I hope that that will be remedied with a pair of rear speakers.

As far as cables go- I had 3 hanging off of my head when I used the headphone rig, and a fourth if you count the chat cable. With speakers I don't have any. I did some serious modifications to a basic Xbox wireless mic, so now it's super comfortable and stable on my head. The standard mounting system is crap. I can post a picture if anyone is curious.

I may pick up a pair of AD700's at some point and try to paint them at least, but for now I'm totally broke. lol

If you were going to wait then might as well wait until the AD700x comes out... that way you don't have to paint them. Of course i there's probably going to be a flood of used AD700s flooding the classifieds after they're released... might be able pick up a pair of used AD700s for cheap.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #8,442 of 48,583
Interesting. Thanks. I wonder how the ad700/900x's are for gaming compared to the old non x versions. :)

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #8,443 of 48,583
Willing to bet they're refreshes, and will sound the same. We'll see. In any case, they all used the blasted wing design, so I lost all interest, lol.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #8,444 of 48,583
AD700x ?!?

Hmm... sexy.... *subscribed*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back