Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 17, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #47,056 of 48,566
I ordered the hifiman he4xx. I believe they will be comfortable, and i'll just EQ the sound. it will be my first planar, and i believe it's likely a decent entry-level planar.

The next thing I want after the hifimans are some extremely comfortable closed back, with strong, extending bass.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #47,057 of 48,566
I'm still pushing onward with the Creative GC7 review, so don't worry, it's coming. Just taking a little longer. What I have left are...

Photos and Screenshots to take for multiple sections
Connectivity section
Microphone Recordings
Personal Recommendations (partly written)
Likes and Dislikes section
Final Impressions section

For the most part, the hardest sections are done, so I anticipate a few more days and for the writing to go more smoothly, depending on how I feel. I only get a few hours of free time to do this, while I'm in the middle of a packing up for a move to don't know where yet and work, so bear with me.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #47,059 of 48,566
@Mad Lust Envy are you planning to review the Emu Teaks in the future at some point?
Unfortunately, I had to sell them, so I won't be able to review them at this point in time. I was planning on trading them up for an LCD-2C (to bring up my memories of the old LCD2s I had), that I never went through with it due to financial reasons. That, but also that I'm now able to more or less test out whatever Audeze headphones I'd like within reason. I had tested the LCD2C and I realized they were leather-free (faux leather) pads, and I personally prefer leather instead, so I'd have aimed up towards LCD2 or LCDX instead.

What I can say is that the Teak were exactly what I wanted as something to a Denon D7000 successor, and were excellent in their price range. If you're looking into the Teak, they're great and I have no qualms about recommending them to people that are more basshead than neutral. The wood cups give a nice tonal character as well.

I just wanted to go back to my favorite planars, really.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #47,060 of 48,566
Unfortunately, I had to sell them, so I won't be able to review them at this point in time. I was planning on trading them up for an LCD-2C (to bring up my memories of the old LCD2s I had), that I never went through with it due to financial reasons. That, but also that I'm now able to more or less test out whatever Audeze headphones I'd like within reason. I had tested the LCD2C and I realized they were leather-free (faux leather) pads, and I personally prefer leather instead, so I'd have aimed up towards LCD2 or LCDX instead.

What I can say is that the Teak were exactly what I wanted as something to a Denon D7000 successor, and were excellent in their price range. If you're looking into the Teak, they're great and I have no qualms about recommending them to people that are more basshead than neutral. The wood cups give a nice tonal character as well.

I just wanted to go back to my favorite planars, really.
I already have the Teaks, and love them. They're definitely my favorite headphones out of everything I've tried. I'm just always interested in your impressions and reviews on headphones, I was just curious. I was actually looking into trying out a planar headphone. I was thinking about the LCD2C or the LCDX or a ZMF VC. But I've seen mixed reviews saying that they could be very natural and boring and not engaging or fun. I definitely like when a headphone has some feel of the bass and not just the sound of bass if that makes sense. I take it you'll probably have reviews of the LCD 2 and LCDX at some point?

Jul 20, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #47,061 of 48,566
Since I recently started to work at Audeze, it wouldn't feel right to do a review of any of the products.

It's been a blessing for my personal life, but perhaps not the best deal for the guide, lol. I will be doing first looks for future Audeze products, but in terms of outright reviews, not sure that's in the best interest for the guide, the company, or you guys.

As far as LCDs/Planars, I'm sure there's got to be one that suits you.

I'll be receiving the LCD-X (as well as GX though I already reviewed them) in the next few days, and though I can't be biased and give you impressions, I can at least give you an unbiased description of what it sounds like to my ears.

The LCDX is an extremely popular headphone even here on Head-fi, if that counts for anything.

I can think of all the headphones in the world, and there will always be groups that hate or loves them. We all have our tastes.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #47,062 of 48,566
Guys, I feel like my GC7 review is bloated, and I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't cut down on explaining software down to every main option. Do I really need to mention what bass boost does? Or Scout Mode? Or literally anything people can't just look at in the product guide?

I feel like I'm just filling up the review with filler. And the software is literally one of the longest sections to write.

Some feedback would be welcome.

As an update: I've written every section other than connectivity, and need to do screengrabs/photos, editing. So the vast majority of the review is done.

If you guys think a 5 minute to read review is easy to write...boy do I have something to tell you. It takes me many hours over multiple days. :sob:

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #47,063 of 48,566
I think considering your general audience on here (enthusiasts who care about the details and nuances of a product), a longer review is just fine, if not preferred. I don't think anyone should complain about reading about features, etc. they're already familiar with -- and for those that aren't, it will be an informative read. Not to mention this is a written review, not some YouTube video where the duration definitely does matter in terms of audience engagement.

Looking forward to reading it!

Jul 20, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #47,064 of 48,566
I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

I feel I either don't write enough and start rambling or going ham on details that aren't necessarily, or write too much, and then under develop a section. It's a tough balance. Lol

Great thing is that its mostly done. I just have to look over some things as I'm someone who tends to repeat things. I think I've said that I'm disappointed that SXFI doesn't pass through digitally like 5-6 times. 🤣

I'm starting to wonder if I should coin the term Pre-dac for the DACs we use that we just send stuff like virtual surround, or bass boosting, or EQ digitally to other dacs.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #47,065 of 48,566
I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

I feel I either don't write enough and start rambling or going ham on details that aren't necessarily, or write too much, and then under develop a section. It's a tough balance. Lol

Great thing is that its mostly done. I just have to look over some things as I'm someone who tends to repeat things. I think I've said that I'm disappointed that SXFI doesn't pass through digitally like 5-6 times. 🤣

I'm starting to wonder if I should coin the term Pre-dac for the DACs we use that we just send stuff like virtual surround, or bass boosting, or EQ digitally to other dacs.
I feel like you should add it to the extent it matters on your opinion of the product. Or even, the fact that so many "features" exist, might be part of your opinion, i.e. there's too many, or they're all great, or whatever. I mean I know I personally found the feature set kind of bloated, i.e. I don't use most of it and some of it is confusingly redundant... but that's just me.

Jul 20, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #47,066 of 48,566
I've said something similar in the review, something along the lines of overwhelmed, Lol.

I essentially start off saying Creative has thrown everything but the kitchen sink. More or less.

And yeah, like you have EQ, bass boost, clarity enhancer, AND scout mode.

I mean they're like all doing different aspects of the same thing.

I dunno why they do all this, but I guess there are people that just dunno how to EQ, so having a bass boost setting, etc, makes it easy to understand. And general gamers don't tend to be that smart, lol.

I think it's just Creative trying to cater to all sorts, even though it bloats the software.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #47,068 of 48,566
I've said something similar in the review, something along the lines of overwhelmed, Lol.

I essentially start off saying Creative has thrown everything but the kitchen sink. More or less.

And yeah, like you have EQ, bass boost, clarity enhancer, AND scout mode.

I mean they're like all doing different aspects of the same thing.

I dunno why they do all this, but I guess there are people that just dunno how to EQ, so having a bass boost setting, etc, makes it easy to understand. And general gamers don't tend to be that smart, lol.

I think it's just Creative trying to cater to all sorts, even though it bloats the software.
Hey MLE, I'm thinking of buying the Schiit Hel 2 as an desktop dac/amp as well as gaming solution. My previous dac/amps were Astro Mixamp, steelseries GameDAC and Soundblaster GC7. The Hel 2 seems to have the headset's mic gain control. But what I want to know is whether the Hel 2 supports Game sound/Chat balance control, which the Mixamp and the GC7 have. This feature is called in various terms 'chatmix' 'Gamevoice mix'and etc. Does the Hel 2 have this feature too?

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #47,069 of 48,566
Hey MLE, I'm thinking of buying the Schiit Hel 2 as an desktop dac/amp as well as gaming solution. My previous dac/amps were Astro Mixamp, steelseries GameDAC and Soundblaster GC7. The Hel 2 seems to have the headset's mic gain control. But what I want to know is whether the Hel 2 supports Game sound/Chat balance control, which the Mixamp and the GC7 have. This feature is called in various terms 'chatmix' 'Gamevoice mix'and etc. Does the Hel 2 have this feature too?
The Hel 2 does not have that feature. Just a proper USB/Optical DAC, and headphone amp with analog output, and mic gain. That's it.

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #47,070 of 48,566
@Mad Lust Envy
The Creative Software Suite has been discussed to death. I would just list the feature set, and then focus on what makes it unique to other iterations, like any SXFi Support it may have, and whether it supports it over optical. One thing to note is whether the optical out can do more than 24/48. (This was a hard ceiling on the G6)

Also, a device/dsp to provide surround processing to be fed to a DAC is a "Virtualizer", not a Pre-DAC :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back