Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 13, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #47,041 of 48,562
Hi everyone, I am new here

I looked around, used the search and found that this sub forum is the place to go for the questions iv been stuck on for the past few days

hoping I can get some help from the nice people here who are knowledgeable about the advice I am seeking.

thanks in advance.

I have recently moved on from my Logitech G Pro Wireless X headphones to move to something, lighter and just better for an everyday experience. And for my work from home life to have something that looks a lot more professional.

I picked up a Yeti Nano (finding that I am not happy with it so I will be swapping it out for a ModMic USB)

As it picks up too much noise from around like keyboard.

And I have a pair of Mass drop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee’s

I have had this setup for a few weeks now and I am happy with the headphones, but I would like to take this chance complete the upgrade by adding a Dac/Amp Combo

My daily usage will be Desktop PC and the odd trip where I take headphones with me (few times a year),

As for what I use my headphones for is based around the following.

• YouTube for entertainment
    • Music/Music Videos
      • Hip-hop
      • RnB
      • Pop
      • Country
      • Jazz
      • Almost anything
    • Sports news and highlights
    • Movies
    • Tutorials
    • Etc.
  • Gaming
    • FPS
    • Apex Legends
    • Counter Strike
    • Pubg
    • And some other odd ones here and there
  • RTS
    • Dota 2
      • And custom games within
    • Evil Genius 2
    • Sea of thieves
  • Work
    • MS Teams
    • Training
    • Videos

I have been looking for a Dac/Amp Combo unit I would like something that is plug and play. And I do not want a volume control on the unit as I plan to use the volume control on my keyboard to control the system volume.

The Dac/Amps I am considering

• ear studio hud100
  • dragonfly red
  • dragonfly black
  • Monolith by Monoprice USB DAC
  • Spectra x
  • Apple Dac/Amp
  • DDHIFI TC44B USB-C

My price range is around $125.00 Cad $100.00 USD give or take 20.00-30.00

I do not mind buying used. And I have tracked down a few of these options at reasonable pricing in my area.

The features I am looking for

• Able to control Sound from Wheel on my Keyboard
    • Windows volume mixer
  • Plug and Play (plug in and forget)
    • Will be on back of computer
  • Better audio for YouTube videos/music I have on daily
  • Help make Games more Clear
    • Footsteps
    • Staging
    • Etc.
  • Clearer Voice calls for Discord and MS Teams

The main reason I am not looking for something with Schiit like The Hella, Fulla or Magni +Dac. I have no interest in using a volume controller to control my headphones as I already have that function on my keyboard. I have limited space as I have 4 monitors. Also, this unit will be untouched for more then 350 days a year.

I look forward to seeing what everyone has as suggestions

Thanks again!

Tarn.

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #47,042 of 48,562
Do open backs create the best sound for gaming?

Do closed backs sound/feel claustrophobic?

To have a broad soundstage, do headphones need to be neutral? Is a broad soundstage ideal as a pair of all around( fun/competitive) headphones for gaming?

Is the bass in all planar headphones linear? What about mid bass?

Are there fun planers?

List five headphones under $500 that sound fun.

List five headphones under $500 that excel in the fun department when used in a amp/dac/eq setup

I haven't added a mini loki to my setup yet, because they are on backorder. I'm still using my X2HR's. I am happy with them, I imagine I will be even happier once I get to eq them. I wonder if I would be happier with a pair of planars though.
I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD 560s for less than 200 dollars. You need a Dac/amp to run this. They have an incredible Soundstage, very neutral sound.
There is a YouTube video explaining how good they are in competitive level.
(sorry if my English is not the best).

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #47,043 of 48,562
Hi everyone, I am new here

I looked around, used the search and found that this sub forum is the place to go for the questions iv been stuck on for the past few days

hoping I can get some help from the nice people here who are knowledgeable about the advice I am seeking.

thanks in advance.

I have recently moved on from my Logitech G Pro Wireless X headphones to move to something, lighter and just better for an everyday experience. And for my work from home life to have something that looks a lot more professional.

I picked up a Yeti Nano (finding that I am not happy with it so I will be swapping it out for a ModMic USB)

As it picks up too much noise from around like keyboard.

And I have a pair of Mass drop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee’s

I have had this setup for a few weeks now and I am happy with the headphones, but I would like to take this chance complete the upgrade by adding a Dac/Amp Combo

My daily usage will be Desktop PC and the odd trip where I take headphones with me (few times a year),

As for what I use my headphones for is based around the following.

• YouTube for entertainment
    • Music/Music Videos
      • Hip-hop
      • RnB
      • Pop
      • Country
      • Jazz
      • Almost anything
    • Sports news and highlights
    • Movies
    • Tutorials
    • Etc.
  • Gaming
    • FPS
    • Apex Legends
    • Counter Strike
    • Pubg
    • And some other odd ones here and there
  • RTS
    • Dota 2
      • And custom games within
    • Evil Genius 2
    • Sea of thieves
  • Work
    • MS Teams
    • Training
    • Videos

I have been looking for a Dac/Amp Combo unit I would like something that is plug and play. And I do not want a volume control on the unit as I plan to use the volume control on my keyboard to control the system volume.

The Dac/Amps I am considering

• ear studio hud100
  • dragonfly red
  • dragonfly black
  • Monolith by Monoprice USB DAC
  • Spectra x
  • Apple Dac/Amp
  • DDHIFI TC44B USB-C

My price range is around $125.00 Cad $100.00 USD give or take 20.00-30.00

I do not mind buying used. And I have tracked down a few of these options at reasonable pricing in my area.

The features I am looking for

• Able to control Sound from Wheel on my Keyboard
    • Windows volume mixer
  • Plug and Play (plug in and forget)
    • Will be on back of computer
  • Better audio for YouTube videos/music I have on daily
  • Help make Games more Clear
    • Footsteps
    • Staging
    • Etc.
  • Clearer Voice calls for Discord and MS Teams

The main reason I am not looking for something with Schiit like The Hella, Fulla or Magni +Dac. I have no interest in using a volume controller to control my headphones as I already have that function on my keyboard. I have limited space as I have 4 monitors. Also, this unit will be untouched for more then 350 days a year.

I look forward to seeing what everyone has as suggestions

Thanks again!

Tarn.
Since you want to use a Multimedia controller, then you need to go consumer soundcard. Buy a refurbished G6 from Creative's online store; this will be in your price range and can drive the HD-58X well. They sell for $79 USD here in US.

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #47,044 of 48,562
Hey Guys, I hope to have the GC7 Review written by the end of the weekend. Sorry for the long delay. Life gets in the way.

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #47,047 of 48,562
I've been looking for something to use with my PS5 and was interested in getting an X4, but haven't seen any reviews yet.

A b-stock X3 can be bought from the Creative website for about €80 so if there's not much difference between the 2 that'll be much better value.
I doubt it will be much different from the X3. What I heard was that the X4 will be using the new Creative App. It was on their Reddit page.

I used the X3 previously though. Lots of bugs, some of them deal breaking. The major one was a DSP issue with SXFi(where the sounds were severely distorted, and it sounds nowhere near the SXFi amp), and that took months before they resolved it.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #47,048 of 48,562
I doubt it will be much different from the X3. What I heard was that the X4 will be using the new Creative App. It was on their Reddit page.

I used the X3 previously though. Lots of bugs, some of them deal breaking. The major one was a DSP issue with SXFi(where the sounds were severely distorted, and it sounds nowhere near the SXFi amp), and that took months before they resolved it.
That doesn't sound too appealing. Shiit seem to be having issues with the Fulla 4 and Hel 2 as well. I've read a few people have had to return them.

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #47,049 of 48,562
Hey Guys, I hope to have the GC7 Review written by the end of the weekend. Sorry for the long delay. Life gets in the way.
Have you tried the Beyer Amiron Home? Supposedly they produce a harsh sound for words starting/ending with the letter S, kind of like the X2HR's do. I am curious to know just how bad it is, can EQ soften it up enough. Additionally, in the sound department, would you say that I would like the sound, considering I don't dislike the sound of the X2HR's. I read another review, about the X2HR's not being of high fidelity, and the bass being muddy. Also, the reason I didn't stick the the Senns HD6xx, is at the time the mini loki's were hard to get, and Senns aren't as comfortable as I like.

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #47,051 of 48,562
The Creative rep said she forwarded that message of wanting SXFI through optical on the GC7, so I hope they're moving their butts for it. Lol.

@Playstation

Unfortunately I have not. It's been awhile since I've heard a Beyer.

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #47,052 of 48,562
i realize i might have to go with a relatively flat response and eq from there. so, what about a headphone recommendation with the sound quality of the hd5xx/hd6xx, with the comfort of Beyers/Fedilios? for around $500 or lower

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #47,054 of 48,562
I think once you stretch out the 6XX's, they're among the best in comfort. Is it the clam?, because if it's the clamp, definitely stretch it out over a pillow a night or two. Or while you're at work or something. It helps DRASTICALLY. The 400s were a bit heavy, but I'm talking og Rev. 2. I dunno now. They felt good overall, but def not 6XX good. I dunno, maybe AKG K7XX is good comfort. Just going off my experience with the K702 Anniversary.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #47,055 of 48,562
Have you tried the Beyer Amiron Home? Supposedly they produce a harsh sound for words starting/ending with the letter S, kind of like the X2HR's do. I am curious to know just how bad it is, can EQ soften it up enough. Additionally, in the sound department, would you say that I would like the sound, considering I don't dislike the sound of the X2HR's. I read another review, about the X2HR's not being of high fidelity, and the bass being muddy. Also, the reason I didn't stick the the Senns HD6xx, is at the time the mini loki's were hard to get, and Senns aren't as comfortable as I like.

I've used the amiron homes for gaming quite a bit in the past and found them very good for their current used price. Clamp force is lighter and they're very comfortable. They also have good soundstage and image placement imho. I'm not sensitive to treble so I can't speak to sibilance that you're mentioning, other than I did not find them harsh. I was running them off a good tube amp, which may have lessened the treble effect as well. YMMV :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back