Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 8, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #46,082 of 48,562
Okay,
I’ve had the G6 about a week now.
I just can’t seem to get on with it.
VSS just sounds too close to my ears and I can’t seem to pinpoint footsteps/boxes/distance of gunfire like I could.
I’ve just reverted back to the mixamp pro 2013.

I don’t want to give up on it so any tips would be great. Do I just need to adjust!?

My reference point is Warzone...

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

PS5

G6 - USB to back port on PS5
G6 - optical to Samsung Nu8000 (Sound output - HDMI)

PS5 settings
Input: G6
Output: G6
HDMI Device Type: AV - 7.1ch
Output to Headphones Chat
Audio Format (priority) Bitstream (Dolby)

‘Sound Blaster Command

SBX Profile

I’ve tried many combinations during a full game:

- Just Surround on @ 100%
- Just Surround @ 67%
- Just Surround @ 20%
- Just Surround @ 0%

- Surround @ 67% / Crystalizer @ 67% / Bass @ 20 % / Smart Vol - Night

Gaming Preset
Call of Duty Series Preset
FPS Preset

And possibly more but didn’t jot them down.

Equaliser

Have toggled this on/off with all above (prefer on)
Fixed Band EQ

Playback
Headphones: Virtual 7.1 Surround
Direct mode: off
Filters: Fast Roll off - minimum phase
Audio Quality: 32 Bit, 96 kHz

Decoder
Full
Not sure what this does?

Rest of the settings untouched - am I missing something?
Things to try:

1. Try setting G6 to 5.1 instead of 7.1
2. Try Dolby Digital 5.1 out from console to G6 optical in.

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #46,084 of 48,562
Okay,
I’ve had the G6 about a week now.
I just can’t seem to get on with it.
VSS just sounds too close to my ears and I can’t seem to pinpoint footsteps/boxes/distance of gunfire like I could.
I’ve just reverted back to the mixamp pro 2013.

I don’t want to give up on it so any tips would be great. Do I just need to adjust!?

My reference point is Warzone...

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

PS5

G6 - USB to back port on PS5
G6 - optical to Samsung Nu8000 (Sound output - HDMI)

PS5 settings
Input: G6
Output: G6
HDMI Device Type: AV - 7.1ch
Output to Headphones Chat
Audio Format (priority) Bitstream (Dolby)

‘Sound Blaster Command

SBX Profile

I’ve tried many combinations during a full game:

- Just Surround on @ 100%
- Just Surround @ 67%
- Just Surround @ 20%
- Just Surround @ 0%

- Surround @ 67% / Crystalizer @ 67% / Bass @ 20 % / Smart Vol - Night

Gaming Preset
Call of Duty Series Preset
FPS Preset

And possibly more but didn’t jot them down.

Equaliser

Have toggled this on/off with all above (prefer on)
Fixed Band EQ

Playback
Headphones: Virtual 7.1 Surround
Direct mode: off
Filters: Fast Roll off - minimum phase
Audio Quality: 32 Bit, 96 kHz

Decoder
Full
Not sure what this does?

Rest of the settings untouched - am I missing something?

Everything seems ok to me. The only thing I can see is maybe your TV passthrough is not set to output dolby digital and is outputting in stereo? It happened to me once.

Question I've asked before to owners of the G6 and PS5: When using the optical passthrough and the G6 is surround, are you experiencing sound delay? I am and it's driving me insane. Using Tempest with USB has no delay whatsoever, as well as outputting DTS from my PS5 through my Harman Kardon receiver. I think the problem is the PS5's Dolby Digital output. Now, the delay is not THAT high, but just enough to be noticeable.

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #46,085 of 48,562
560 would have harsher treble, which they don't want.

Considering the X2 is a $250+ headphone to begin with (only being discounted after being around so long), there is a no clear upgrade, IMHO. You'd have to spend at least $400-$500 to move up the ladder.

All you're gonna get at around $200 is things that sound DIFFERENT, not BETTER. Sidegrades, not upgrades.

Maybe look into planar headphones.
I can confirm this. After doing a-b comparison between the two of them, the 560s have much better imaging vs the x2hr but lack midbass, so they sound thinner and less exciting. The 560s seem to work really well with surround sound and binaural sources; the soundstage in those cases is actually as large as the x2hr and more defined. Overall, they don't seem like a big upgrade over the x2hr (if only imaging wise, then yes).

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #46,086 of 48,562
I currently have a pair of Arctis 7X’s which I’m not getting on with too much. I’m finding them a bit too loose around the head for the most part. I also have a pair of WH1000XM4’s that I use for listening to music while I work.

I’m wondering if I can sell both of those and get a set of headphones that I can use plugged into my Dualsense and Series X controllers that will be driven well enough, and what can be used plugged into my iPad Pro 10.5.

My consoles are across the room so I don’t want a DAC, the headphones must be good enough to be driven solely by the controllers but still have good sound. And also driven well by the iPad. I don’t need the portability or noise cancelling of the Sony’s as I don’t travel so it’s all wasted really.

So now I’m after that one pair of headphones that i can use for all situations. Any ideas?

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #46,087 of 48,562
Hey guys, so I was thinking of doing a live QA playthrough of whatever (maybe Bloodstained) on Twitch or Youtube, so you guys can ask me all that you want. Headphone recommendations, my body dimensions, etc, lol.

But seriously, I may do something like this for Tuesday, maybe afternoon EST.

Tell me who would be interested?

The gates will be thrown wide open.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #46,088 of 48,562
Hey guys, so I was thinking of doing a live QA playthrough of whatever (maybe Bloodstained) on Twitch or Youtube, so you guys can ask me all that you want. Headphone recommendations, my body dimensions, etc, lol.

But seriously, I may do something like this for Tuesday, maybe afternoon EST.

Tell me who would be interested?

The gates will be thrown wide open.
What is your YouTube channel?

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #46,089 of 48,562
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #46,090 of 48,562
I currently have a pair of Arctis 7X’s which I’m not getting on with too much. I’m finding them a bit too loose around the head for the most part. I also have a pair of WH1000XM4’s that I use for listening to music while I work.

I’m wondering if I can sell both of those and get a set of headphones that I can use plugged into my Dualsense and Series X controllers that will be driven well enough, and what can be used plugged into my iPad Pro 10.5.

My consoles are across the room so I don’t want a DAC, the headphones must be good enough to be driven solely by the controllers but still have good sound. And also driven well by the iPad. I don’t need the portability or noise cancelling of the Sony’s as I don’t travel so it’s all wasted really.

So now I’m after that one pair of headphones that i can use for all situations. Any ideas?

PC38x sound like they'd be right up your ally. As a weird but cheaper solution, which I love, is the kph30i with the grado pads. Both good solutions the mic on the 38x will be better certainly but man do I love the kph30i with the grado pads for $30 I don't think you can beat that value they sound like they should be several hundred at least but look funky certainly.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #46,092 of 48,562
Guys, my mixamp just broke, what are the option for having a mix of the PC and PS4? If possible, using optical.
Thanks,
Buy another Mix-amp?
Or buy another Mix-amp and just use it with the PS4 and buy a DAC/amp for the PC.
DAC/amp should offer better audio quality then the Mix-amp.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #46,093 of 48,562
Are the new Mixamps that good? Or do they still suffer from noise and general uncleanliness in comparison to something like a G6? Nowadays, I don't think I'd choose a Mixamp over the G6, but it HAS been a very long time since I've had a wired Mixamp, and I know they've gone through a few generations since the 2013.

Now that The main consoles have built in VSS, and PC has some truly great software VSS like Redscape Audio (which is my next review, and I recommend), I think I'd be more inclined to get an audiophile dac/amp instead. But then we're limited on what works on consoles through usb so we're still at a loss for choices.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #46,094 of 48,562
Are the new Mix-amps that good? Or do they still suffer from noise and general uncleanliness in comparison to something like a G6? Nowadays, I don't think I'd choose a Mixamp over the G6, but it HAS been a very long time since I've had a wired Mixamp, and I know they've gone through a few generations since the 2013.
Now that The main consoles have built in VSS, and PC has some truly great software VSS like Redscape Audio (which is my next review, and I recommend), I think I'd be more inclined to get an audiophile dac/amp instead. But then we're limited on what works on consoles through usb so we're still at a loss for choices.
The Mix-amp was just the first thing the came to mind (they sell used for $50), But the Creative Labs SoundblasterX G6 would offer better audio quality and better headphone amplifier.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #46,095 of 48,562
Don't forget guys, today is my AMA Q&A stream at 12pm est. So in 3 hours. Keep an eye on my youtube channel.

That's where you guys will be able to ask me all the stuff I typical don't answer here. Like WHAT'S YOUR GREATEST BESTEST HEDPFONZ EVR

http://www.youtube.com/c/madlustenvy

It'll be a lets play stream of Bloodstained ROTN as I answer your questions.

If it's a complete fail, well, I tried. Next time I'll try it on Twitch instead.

edit: It was a fail, lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back