Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 1, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #46,051 of 48,562
So you would have both the Modmic and G6 using two USB ports on the PS5? I assume that in "input" you would have the choice of the Modmic and G6 so you could choose the Modmic as the input and the G6 as the Output.

Yea. That’s what I’m hoping it’s just when I tried with a Samson USB mic the PS5 insisted on that being used for input and output?

I’ve taken the plunge for the Modmic now in the hope that it was just a quirk with the Samson one and perhaps how it presented itself to the PS5.

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #46,053 of 48,562
Don't expect drastic differences between solid state amps. You probably won't notice anything at all if volume matched correctly.

Get whichever has the better features for you.

The G6 has SBX surround. The others do not. If you don't plan on using SBX, then maybe look at the other two. Also the Hel doesn't work on the ps5, the G6 does. But I much prefer the analog mic gain on the Hel over the digital one of the G6.

I don't know about the Mayflower.

Jan 3, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #46,054 of 48,562
I wonder if the 560s can be driven well with the soundblasterx g6 plugged into the ps5 via usb. The usb port on the ps5 does not seem to provide much power.

Also, would love a comparison between the 560s and 38x for gaming and movies.

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #46,055 of 48,562
I wonder if the 560s can be driven well with the soundblasterx g6 plugged into the ps5 via usb. The usb port on the ps5 does not seem to provide much power.

Also, would love a comparison between the 560s and 38x for gaming and movies.
I haven’t tried the 560’s but love the pc38x, and from what I hear the pc38x seems to be almost the consensus pick for gaming right now. I actually prefer the pc38x straight from the controller on the ps5, it sounds better than using the g6. Not sure what it is but something about the sound is slightly fuller with the controller over the g6. Ymmv, and it will be different if you use harder to drive cans

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #46,056 of 48,562
Hello. I’m giving my first steps in the audiophile world and a friend of mine told me this is the best community about it, so here I am.
First of all, I’d like to congratulate Mad Lust Envy for this guide, it’s absolutely awesome. I’d also like to mention that I’m fascinated by all the knowledge you guys have. It’s astonishing.
I’ve been reading this thread for several days since I was looking for a dac for my PS5 and I have finally decided to order a Soundblasterx G6 and pair it with my DT770 80ohm. Until now I’ve been using them plugged into the PS5 controller with tempest, but of course the sound is poor. The G6 will arrive next tuesday and I’d like to make sure I have correctly understood how it works:
- G6 connected via USB to the PS5.
- If I’m using Tempest, I must turn off VSS on the G6 (there is a button on the side for this)
- For some games it’s better to turn off Tempest on the PS5 and turn on VSS on the G6 (I will still have surround sound, right?)
- Lo-gain mode on the G6 (how do you switch between lo-gain and hi-gain?)
- Could you please tell me the console audio settings for both modes (tempest on/VSS off; tempest off/VSS on)? I mean the audio settings on the PS5 (output to headphones, audio format...)
- Oh, and I read something about running it in direct mode, in which no lights are on...I didn‘t understand this well.

I know that’s a lot of questions, some of them will surely be clumsy, but as I stated before I’m new in this world and have little idea. I’d be really grateful if you could help me. Thank you so much.

Jan 3, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #46,057 of 48,562
Hello. I’m giving my first steps in the audiophile world and a friend of mine told me this is the best community about it, so here I am.
First of all, I’d like to congratulate Mad Lust Envy for this guide, it’s absolutely awesome. I’d also like to mention that I’m fascinated by all the knowledge you guys have. It’s astonishing.
I’ve been reading this thread for several days since I was looking for a dac for my PS5 and I have finally decided to order a Soundblasterx G6 and pair it with my DT770 80ohm. Until now I’ve been using them plugged into the PS5 controller with tempest, but of course the sound is poor. The G6 will arrive next tuesday and I’d like to make sure I have correctly understood how it works:
- G6 connected via USB to the PS5.
- If I’m using Tempest, I must turn off VSS on the G6 (there is a button on the side for this)
- For some games it’s better to turn off Tempest on the PS5 and turn on VSS on the G6 (I will still have surround sound, right?)
- Lo-gain mode on the G6 (how do you switch between lo-gain and hi-gain?)
- Could you please tell me the console audio settings for both modes (tempest on/VSS off; tempest off/VSS on)? I mean the audio settings on the PS5 (output to headphones, audio format...)
- Oh, and I read something about running it in direct mode, in which no lights are on...I didn‘t understand this well.

I know that’s a lot of questions, some of them will surely be clumsy, but as I stated before I’m new in this world and have little idea. I’d be really grateful if you could help me. Thank you so much.

Hello,

Based on my own experience with exactly the same setup

1- For tempest, you use the G6 through the PS5's USB, but for the VSS on the G6, you'll need to output optical from the PS5 to the G6.... except there's no optical port on the PS5 anymore. In my case, I use the optical passthrough of the TV. Not sure how you will manage that part.

2- The Lo and Hi gain is a button on the G6. For the Beyers, you can use lo.

3- The three games I ended up using Tempest are Demon Souls, Astro and Spider-Man Morales. So the output is needed to be set to USB G6 and you turn on 3D sound in the PS5 sound setup. Dont forget to adjut the "3D level" (in my case i set it to Level 1 or 2, but this is really personnal). Turn off SBX on the G6.

4- For other games, where you want to use the G6 VSS, setup the PS5 output to HDMI (Tempest is automatically turned off) and turn on the SBX on the G6.

5- To my understandong, Direct Mode doesn't work on the PS5.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #46,058 of 48,562
Hello,

Based on my own experience with exactly the same setup

1- For tempest, you use the G6 through the PS5's USB, but for the VSS on the G6, you'll need to output optical from the PS5 to the G6.... except there's no optical port on the PS5 anymore. In my case, I use the optical passthrough of the TV. Not sure how you will manage that part.

2- The Lo and Hi gain is a button on the G6. For the Beyers, you can use lo.

3- The three games I ended up using Tempest are Demon Souls, Astro and Spider-Man Morales. So the output is needed to be set to USB G6 and you turn on 3D sound in the PS5 sound setup. Dont forget to adjut the "3D level" (in my case i set it to Level 1 or 2, but this is really personnal). Turn off SBX on the G6.

4- For other games, where you want to use the G6 VSS, setup the PS5 output to HDMI (Tempest is automatically turned off) and turn on the SBX on the G6.

5- To my understandong, Direct Mode doesn't work on the PS5.
Thank you!
My TV has optical output (it is a C9 OLED) so I think I will be able to sort it out.

Btw, don’t you feel that the clamping force of the 770s is too much? Is there a way to solve this? (changing pads?)

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #46,059 of 48,562
Thank you!
My TV has optical output (it is a C9 OLED) so I think I will be able to sort it out.

Btw, don’t you feel that the clamping force of the 770s is too much? Is there a way to solve this? (changing pads?)
Not at all. They are the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever owned. Maybe with some time the clamping will go away ?
Regarding your tv optical output, on my Sony I need to set the audio output as « audio system » instead of « tv speakers » else the sound will come out in stereo from the optical out. Not sure if you need to do the same thing on your oled.

Your BeyerDynamics are the DT770 Pro right? There’s a DT770M version that is suppose to be a tighter fit or something.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #46,060 of 48,562
Not at all. They are the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever owned. Maybe with some time the clamping will go away ?
Regarding your tv optical output, on my Sony I need to set the audio output as « audio system » instead of « tv speakers » else the sound will come out in stereo from the optical out. Not sure if you need to do the same thing on your oled.

Your BeyerDynamics are the DT770 Pro right? There’s a DT770M version that is suppose to be a tighter fit or something.
Yes, on my tv I also need to change the audio output settings, I’ve watched a video about it.
And yes, my Beyer are the Pro. I guess I’ll get used to them. Thank you!

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #46,062 of 48,562
Direct mode does work on the G6 and I only use that with tempest exclusively. None of the lights except for the red volume one should be on when it is active on the G6 with the PS5.

How do you turn it on? I was under the impression that you needed to hold the Scout button or something and it would flash in direct mode. It works when plugged on my laptop but not on the PS5. What do you mean by the "Red Volume One"? There's no red light on the G6 besides the X logo on top.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #46,063 of 48,562
HI Mad Lust Envy, I've been watching and reading everything on this thread and I need your help.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...12-3-2020-audeze-penrose-review-added.534479/

I currently have an ATH-AD700 with years that I bought based on your review.

I was now thinking about moving, upgrading, but it really has to be worth it.

What I appreciate most is soundstage and those pulled mids. Basically what the ATH-AD700 represents.

I have some models under my eye but I needed your opinion or recommendation in case there are others.

The models are:
AKG K702
AKG K712
AKG Q701
DT770 80 WHO
DT990 250 WHO

I want to spend up to about 300 euros.

Do any of these models feel better than my ATH-AD700? Which? Is there any other that you recommend?

By the way, I also have SPH9500, AKG K550 and HyperX but the ATD-AD700 is absurdly better.

Thank you for your contribution to the gaming world xD

Cheers

Jan 6, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #46,065 of 48,562
HI Mad Lust Envy, I've been watching and reading everything on this thread and I need your help.
I currently have an ATH-AD700 with years that I bought based on your review.
I was now thinking about moving, upgrading, but it really has to be worth it.
What I appreciate most is soundstage and those pulled mids. Basically what the ATH-AD700 represents.
I have some models under my eye but I needed your opinion or recommendation in case there are others.
The models are: AKG K702 AKG K712 AKG Q701 DT770 80 WHO DT990 250 WHO
I want to spend up to about 300 euros.
Do any of these models feel better than my ATH-AD700? Which? Is there any other that you recommend?
By the way, I also have SPH9500, AKG K550 and HyperX but the ATD-AD700 is absurdly better.
What sound card or motherboard or DAC/amp do you currently plug your headphones into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back