Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 18, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #45,616 of 48,562
That makes no sense. There's literally no reason the PS5 shouldn't be able to send "headphone audio" through HDMI, the Xbox 1X and PCs have been able to do it for years.

As an EE, it doesnt matter if other hardware can. if the PS5 doesnt have a DAC before the HDMI and no signal pathway, there isnt a way physically for it to send analogue headphone audio via hdmi.

Its not as simple as sending analog/headphone audio through hdmi, HDMI is a strictly digital interface. There has to be something after the HDMI to extract the audio and convert it to analogue, which is why monitors/tvs are doing when you use them for headphone audio

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #45,617 of 48,562
People mostly just want to grab the stereo signal from the optical out of their TVs or connect a headphone to their AVR. Others want to use an optical splitter to go to their DACs. It's not a complicated issue.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #45,618 of 48,562
Well going back to Cerny's deep dive talk, he did say initially 3D audio would be focussed on headphones, and later support for speakers would come.

Perhaps they're not yet satisfied with Tempest's performance on external speakers and will restrict 3D over HDMI until then.
Sucks for high end headphone setups though. Hope the update rolls out soon

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #45,619 of 48,562
It's def not a complicated issue. Tempest 3D is digital processing. Digital, meaning they can just send those 0s and 1s through the HDMI. It's the same reason any usb headset that the PS5 can pick up can take in the 3D audio.

Hell my USB to 3.5mm DONGLE can get it.

It's a digital instruction. No physical limitation whatsoever. It's done at the system level. They just have to send the instruction to the HDMI output.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #45,620 of 48,562
Yea, I'm not saying there is any technical reason why they couldn't have the feature. I'm saying there is some merit to having safeguards in place such that the ps5 only does the headphone processing if it can see that there are headphones attached. Considering the most common scenario is going to be headphones used through the headphone jack, speakers used through hdmi, it prevents user error.

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #45,621 of 48,562
I understand user error, but thats why you don't make it a default option for hdmi, and have it plainly state 'Enable 3D Audio for HEADPHONES through HDMI". I mean, I think that's pretty self explanatory.

It works for Xbox, why can't it work for Sony?

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #45,622 of 48,562
Yea, I'm not saying there is any technical reason why they couldn't have the feature. I'm saying there is some merit to having safeguards in place such that the ps5 only does the headphone processing if it can see that there are headphones attached. Considering the most common scenario is going to be headphones used through the headphone jack, speakers used through hdmi, it prevents user error.

It's stupid that Sony went out of their way make their own 3D audio solution but then made it annoying as possible for people with high end headphone setups to access it. No one who cares about sound quality and has decent equipment would want to plug their headphones into the controller. You'd think that it's the "enthusiast" headphone crowd who would be most interested in 3D audio in the first place and Sony have done basically nothing to cater to them at all. Your average joe who buys a gaming headset likely doesn't even care about sound quality or even knows what Tempest is.

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #45,624 of 48,562
Would controller - 3.5mm to RCA - amp - headphones work?

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #45,625 of 48,562
That's what I'm doing now as well: XsX (with Atmos H or DTSX H on) -> HDMI -> LG GX -> optical -> iFi Micro iDSD BL.
My PS5 is coming in Thursday so haven't tried it on PS5 yet.
I'll keep using this method as it gives me the means to use cans like my HD800S, K7XX and LCD-GX. Maybe add an Arya.
The iFi has ample power and it's subtle 3D+ effect that I don't like for music actually makes my gaming experience better, widens/opens up the scene.

But I'll add the Penrose/X as well for versatility and ease of use and I expect them to be the best wireless solutions for both consoles.

I tried my Drop + THX Panda as a gaming headphone but didn't like it very much for that purpose, it lacks immersion and that's what I prefer in a gaming headphone.
Did you get the Arya?
Just wondering for the HD800S, why did you choose the iFi over your HDV820? And how do they compare

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #45,626 of 48,562
Would controller - 3.5mm to RCA - amp - headphones work?

Yep, works like a charm, you'll have the 3D audio that way.

Did you get the Arya?
Just wondering for the HD800S, why did you choose the iFi over your HDV820? And how do they compare

No, I just decided last night I'm getting the Arya in a month or two.
My wallet just needs to recover a bit from the recent shopping spree ... :wink:
I have been long interested in HiFiMan but always kept purchases off due to their poor QC reputation.
But I decided to get over that and buy from a reputable local seller so I have decent warranty.\
And the Arya is one of their mid to higher tier priced phones so while it should be good for gaming with it's imaging it'll also give me a decent idea what the brand is like for music with a decent amp.

I sold the HDVA600 and HDV820 long time ago so I can't compare.
I have a Luxman stack here for music via Roon and a Schiit stack I use for both gaming and music.
But I added the Micro iDSD BL to have a volume control right beside me where I game and to be able to connect optical for Xbox (from TV) and analog for PS (from controller).
I tried the little amp with some music and must say the SQ is really good (as in no elaborate tests but I really have no negative remarks) and it has ample power to drive the HD800S/HD820.
I keep the 3D+ off for music but actually prefer it on for gaming.
The XBass+ setting will be a personal preference for people. I like it off for gaming and most music but on some tracks it's actually worth having on.
I can imagine Bassheads and EDM lovers will like it on.
Both options are actually subtle and very well done unlike a lot of bass boost options that distort anything from your upper bass to lower mids.
All in all I highly recommend this amp, surely if you have harder to drive cans, but it comes at a price.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #45,627 of 48,562
No ands, ifs, or buts. There are many, many people with AVRs that have headphone jacks. Sony should've thought....hmm, maybe allow 3D audio on HDMI so AVRs can use it. If you don't want 3D audio, then simply disable it through HDMI for the times you're not plugging in headphones.

Wow, thank you! This is exactly the dilemma that I'm in, and it's a bit frustrating/exciting at the same time. I say exciting because I just entered this audiophile headphone rabbit hole with tabs and tabs of so much new info; it's super interesting nonetheless. From DACs to Amps to Cans and their mods, the selection is vast for pairing with my PS5 setup. I also think I have a pretty decent understanding of the whole UAC1 situation of the new Sony console.

So a little background, I've always respected the audio side of entertainment, whether it's movies, music, or videogames. When it comes to any medium, I've tried to get the best quality out of them as much as I can with what I have. So for videogames, I've had a Denon AVR for the longest time (2011), and for the past 2 years or so, I noticed I'm using the headphone jack (with an ATH-M50) more and more for competitive and single-player gaming instead of my 5.1 surround sound. With Sony emphasizing their new Tempest format (which is only initially available for headsets), I really wanted to start the new-gen strong in the audio department. I want to say more than a couple of hours have been put into researching the most optimal yet budget-friendly setup that actually works with Sony's 3D audio. And again, it could've been much shorter if Sony just had implemented a UAC2 solution or 3D audio over HDMI, but I digress.

Now I don't mind if the setup is wired (I'm so used to it from the M50s), so naturally, I looked into wired phones (under $350ish), and as far as selection goes, I compared a bunch but to name a few would be the PC37X, PC38X, DT770, DT990, HD58X, SHP9500, X2HR, the HD6XX and many more. Then I looked for the DACs/Amp requirements needed to sufficiently power and connect said phones with the 3D format, and it's been a doozy. From Schiit stacks to Creative's G6 to JDS Labs DACs, it's a little daunting, more so from Sony not being up to par with UAC2 compatibility or the HDMI solution mentioned above.

After a while, a wireless solution (the Audeze Penrose) had caught my eye, which eliminates a lot of the DAC/Amp prereqs for a wired setup. I've never had a wireless setup before, but I'm sure the tech is up to par with fidelity vs. wired. So I am waiting patiently for some Penrose reviews to come through. I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on the planars and see what Sony does for the "TV 3D audio coming after launch" or what, but I'm not in a rush. I want to make sure the setup is just right. I want to eventually utilize a DAC/Amp combo for a wired setup (if I go with HD6XXs, for example) because I'm reading that the headphone output's hardware isn't really that optimal for AVRs. Some quick questions that I have, and I thank all of those in advance that help answer them:

1) Would the Penrose's benefit at all from a wired line instead of the wireless dongle?

2) How would I be able to get 3D audio via a Schiit Asgard 3 with a DAC module to an HD6XX, for example? Line out via controller? Is that even optimal?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #45,628 of 48,562
Wow, thank you! This is exactly the dilemma that I'm in, and it's a bit frustrating/exciting at the same time. I say exciting because I just entered this audiophile headphone rabbit hole with tabs and tabs of so much new info; it's super interesting nonetheless. From DACs to Amps to Cans and their mods, the selection is vast for pairing with my PS5 setup. I also think I have a pretty decent understanding of the whole UAC1 situation of the new Sony console.

So a little background, I've always respected the audio side of entertainment, whether it's movies, music, or videogames. When it comes to any medium, I've tried to get the best quality out of them as much as I can with what I have. So for videogames, I've had a Denon AVR for the longest time (2011), and for the past 2 years or so, I noticed I'm using the headphone jack (with an ATH-M50) more and more for competitive and single-player gaming instead of my 5.1 surround sound. With Sony emphasizing their new Tempest format (which is only initially available for headsets), I really wanted to start the new-gen strong in the audio department. I want to say more than a couple of hours have been put into researching the most optimal yet budget-friendly setup that actually works with Sony's 3D audio. And again, it could've been much shorter if Sony just had implemented a UAC2 solution or 3D audio over HDMI, but I digress.

Now I don't mind if the setup is wired (I'm so used to it from the M50s), so naturally, I looked into wired phones (under $350ish), and as far as selection goes, I compared a bunch but to name a few would be the PC37X, PC38X, DT770, DT990, HD58X, SHP9500, X2HR, the HD6XX and many more. Then I looked for the DACs/Amp requirements needed to sufficiently power and connect said phones with the 3D format, and it's been a doozy. From Schiit stacks to Creative's G6 to JDS Labs DACs, it's a little daunting, more so from Sony not being up to par with UAC2 compatibility or the HDMI solution mentioned above.

After a while, a wireless solution (the Audeze Penrose) had caught my eye, which eliminates a lot of the DAC/Amp prereqs for a wired setup. I've never had a wireless setup before, but I'm sure the tech is up to par with fidelity vs. wired. So I am waiting patiently for some Penrose reviews to come through. I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on the planars and see what Sony does for the "TV 3D audio coming after launch" or what, but I'm not in a rush. I want to make sure the setup is just right. I want to eventually utilize a DAC/Amp combo for a wired setup (if I go with HD6XXs, for example) because I'm reading that the headphone output's hardware isn't really that optimal for AVRs. Some quick questions that I have, and I thank all of those in advance that help answer them:

1) Would the Penrose's benefit at all from a wired line instead of the wireless dongle?

2) How would I be able to get 3D audio via a Schiit Asgard 3 with a DAC module to an HD6XX, for example? Line out via controller? Is that even optimal?

-Get a Creative G6, which works with the PS5 and gives you 3D Audio

-Get one of those headphones. Of that list, i'd pick the 58X or 6XX, but that's me, i don't need a mic)

This is more than enough to give you a good audio experience in games

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #45,629 of 48,562
Hell my USB to 3.5mm DONGLE can get it.
I'm about to get a USB to RCA cable to connect it to my L30 and stop waiting for Sony to enable 3D over HDMI

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #45,630 of 48,562
I understand user error, but thats why you don't make it a default option for hdmi, and have it plainly state 'Enable 3D Audio for HEADPHONES through HDMI". I mean, I think that's pretty self explanatory.

It works for Xbox, why can't it work for Sony?
How does the "headphones though HDMI" work on the XBOX?
I have been away from console gaming for 20 years... but I am getting my son an XBOX Series X for his birthday, so interested to know :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back