Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #45,587 of 48,566
MLE, just to be clear on Tempest: just like Atmos for Headphones all processing is done in the console and the sound is sent as stereo to your phones, right?
There’s nothing extra The 3D Pulse headset does for Tempest? Penrose will play Tempest just as well as the Sony headphone?
To my knowledge, you are correct. I heard that Sony wanted to create a better experience for everyone, regardless of headphones.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #45,589 of 48,566
Yep, that’s what I think as well.
I think I’ll go with Penrose only
I am actually thinking about trying it out too.

I tried connecting my DACs with usb from PS5 to DAC (Topping E30 and D50s) and usb-c on controller to DAC and hip dac. No method worked. The only way I can get sound from my PS5 to my headphones is 1) PS5 -> HDMI-> LG CX tv -> optical cable -> DAC or using adapters to turn my 4.4mm/XLR/1/4" to 3.5mm, but some headphones are too quiet to use.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #45,590 of 48,566
Yeah, all Tempest processing is done at the system level.

What a time to be alive. We have been SCREAMING the virtues of virtual surround for a decade and no one would listen. Now, both main consoles have their own forms of VSS. 🤣

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #45,591 of 48,566

I tried connecting my DACs with usb from PS5 to DAC (Topping E30 and D50s) and usb-c on controller to DAC and hip dac. No method worked. The only way I can get sound from my PS5 to my headphones is 1) PS5 -> HDMI-> LG CX tv -> optical cable -> DAC or using adapters to turn my 4.4mm/XLR/1/4" to 3.5mm, but some headphones are too quiet to use.

That method doesn't work with 3D audio on the PS5 sadly.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #45,592 of 48,566
Nov 17, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #45,593 of 48,566

That's what I'm doing now as well: XsX (with Atmos H or DTSX H on) -> HDMI -> LG GX -> optical -> iFi Micro iDSD BL.
My PS5 is coming in Thursday so haven't tried it on PS5 yet.
I'll keep using this method as it gives me the means to use cans like my HD800S, K7XX and LCD-GX. Maybe add an Arya.
The iFi has ample power and it's subtle 3D+ effect that I don't like for music actually makes my gaming experience better, widens/opens up the scene.

But I'll add the Penrose/X as well for versatility and ease of use and I expect them to be the best wireless solutions for both consoles.

I tried my Drop + THX Panda as a gaming headphone but didn't like it very much for that purpose, it lacks immersion and that's what I prefer in a gaming headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #45,595 of 48,566
You can't get 3D audio from anything taken from the PS5 that's not through the headphone jack or usb based audio.

No hdmi, meaning no optical from a tv which took the audio from the hdmi.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #45,596 of 48,566
You can't get 3D audio from anything taken from the PS5 that's not through the headphone jack or usb based audio.

That console is in serious need for updates if it doesn't deliver it's 3D over HDMI as well as for it's storage problems.

Just bought an 8TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub, received it today and returned it.
While I have the same drive working like a charm on the XsX (and Xone before that), the PS4 (and PS5 according to various fora) doesn't wanna use it because a) the drive is 8,01TB (according to the PS) and it doesn't take larger than 8TB and b) it thinks the drive isn't connected straight to the console because it includes a hub.

But ah well, the iDSD takes 3,5mm input as well. :)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #45,597 of 48,566

Are there any audio interfaces or dacs that successfully work via usb plugin to the ps5? With or without 3d audio

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #45,598 of 48,566
Are there any audio interfaces or dacs that successfully work via usb plugin to the ps5? With or without 3d audio
Looks like equipment that uses UAC1 are working, but more recent things that use UAC2 do not function.

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #45,599 of 48,566

UAC 1 interface USB DACs seems to work but not UAC 2. Seems like most modern ones use UAC 2. My Bifrost doesn't work but my 10 year old DAC Magic does. You can still plug your DAC into the optical port of your TV and it'll work, you just won't be able to use the Tempest 3D audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back