Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #45,602 of 48,562
Looks like equipment that uses UAC1 are working, but more recent things that use UAC2 do not function.
UAC 1 interface USB DACs seems to work but not UAC 2. Seems like most modern ones use UAC 2. My Bifrost doesn't work but my 10 year old DAC Magic does. You can still plug your DAC into the optical port of your TV and it'll work, you just won't be able to use the Tempest 3D audio.
Thank you. This seems like a strange decision. If I were to get a ps5 I would be gaming via a 4k computer monitor, so I do not think I'd be able to use the optical port route.
The 3d audio system seems intriguing, but the limitations, both on the usb audio and proprietary 3d audio are quite disappointing.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #45,605 of 48,562
A lot of people are complaining about how the ps5 only does binaural audio through the headphone jack or a uac1 device that gets detected as a usb headset. But tbh, to me, it sounds like a good system. Remember that binaural audio requires headphones to be used. With the current system, a user can switch from headphones for competitive gaming, to tv speakers for casual gaming, and the console will automatically handle everything properly.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #45,607 of 48,562
So i cannot get dolby headphone surround going

PS5 hdmi to LG C9 to LG C9 optical out to mixamp 5.8?
YES, you can still get all the OTHER virtual surround solutions like the Mixamp's Dolby Headphone. We're specifically talking about Sony's Tempest 3D audio, which you CAN'T.

mindbomb said:
A lot of people are complaining about how the ps5 only does binaural audio through the headphone jack or a uac1 device that gets detected as a usb headset. But tbh, to me, it sounds like a good system. Remember that binaural audio requires headphones to be used. With the current system, a user can switch from headphones for competitive gaming, to tv speakers for casual gaming, and the console will automatically handle everything properly.

But how is it a good system if you're being limited for no reason? All there needs to be on PS5 is an option. Period.

"Enable Headphone 3D Audio Through HDMI"

That's literally it.

No ands, ifs, or buts. There are many, many people with AVRs that have headphone jacks. Sony should've thought....hmm, maybe allow 3D audio on HDMI so AVRs can use it. If you don't want 3D audio, then simply disable it through HDMI for the times you're not plugging in headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #45,608 of 48,562
I use SDAC+ESP95X+modmic for gaming on PC. Sometimes I connect GSX1000 Headphone output to ESP95X amp when I want VSS. Would PC38X be an upgrade for gaming? I feel like chasing a more immersive experience, feeling more like I'm there in the game. Would PC38x offer expanded and more natural soundstage? Or would that be sidegrade/downgrade? Thank you!

Edit: I do realize ESP95X costs a lot more, but I suspect PC38X may be better suited for gaming. Comparisons across the two are very welcome in general as I couldn't find that

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #45,609 of 48,562
ESP95X is a damn good stat for the price, and perhaps its better to go for something that would contrast it more than the PC38X. The PC38X does have a more rounded off bottom end, but the tonality is probably more alike than different. That being said, as far as open backed headsets go, I could never say no to the PC38X.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #45,610 of 48,562
"Enable Headphone 3D Audio Through HDMI"
Would this effectively allow the 3D audio to be transferred over optical through the tv to an external dac?

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #45,611 of 48,562
So got my XSX and very happy with the headphone capability on my setup.

I've hooked up my monitor 3.5mm output to my trusty old turtle beach dss2 analog in, to my surprise the noise floor isn't adversely affected, and turning up volume to max doesn't amplify any static.

This gives me a physical volume knob, and in xbox settings I've set dolby atmos headphone output over hdmi (ps5 can learn something here). Sounds great, a wee bit different to the optical I was used to previously, but couldn't fault it when trying out a few games.

I feel like the dss2 powers my k7xx well enough, I have volume set to about 40-50% so plenty of headroom, and the sound is full bodied to my naive ears, was keen to try something new, but with how well this is working, I'm going to patiently wait for something better.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #45,612 of 48,562
Would this effectively allow the 3D audio to be transferred over optical through the tv to an external dac?
Yes... that's why we'd like that option to exist. Once the 3D audio is enabled at the system level, it'd affect everything connected to whatever it is being sent to. Just like virtual surround, you can't 'remove' that processing from the chain once it is introduced. It is part of the signal forever at that point.

One thing that is basically misinformation on Sony's part is that they make it sound like you need specific headsets for 3D Audio to work. Some knowledgeable people thought 3D audio only worked with specific hardware, which is simply not true. It works with everything, as long as the signal is sent.

So I get people asking me if you need the Sony 3D Pulse to take advantage of 3D audio. No... no you don't at all. Even dollar store headphones will get 3D audio.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #45,613 of 48,562
Yes... that's why we'd like that option to exist. Once the 3D audio is enabled at the system level, it'd affect everything connected to whatever it is being sent to. Just like virtual surround, you can't 'remove' that processing from the chain once it is introduced. It is part of the signal forever at that point.

One thing that is basically misinformation on Sony's part is that they make it sound like you need specific headsets for 3D Audio to work. Some knowledgeable people thought 3D audio only worked with specific hardware, which is simply not true. It works with everything, as long as the signal is sent.

So I get people asking me if you need the Sony 3D Pulse to take advantage of 3D audio. No... no you don't at all. Even dollar store headphones will get 3D audio.

Did you see much of a difference between the new audeze headphones and the Mobius if the mobius is just using tempest via the controller?

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #45,614 of 48,562
Well, you have to contend with the sound quality differences. In terms of Tempest 3D audio, the positional accuracy directionality shouldn't sound all that different between them, asides from the obvious tonal differences.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #45,615 of 48,562

That makes no sense. There's literally no reason the PS5 shouldn't be able to send "headphone audio" through HDMI, the Xbox 1X and PCs have been able to do it for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back