Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 14, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #45,526 of 48,562
So after doing a bunch of reading of the comments / resources in this thread (thanks MLE!) I think I have a bit of predicament as I want to utilize VSS.

If I follow correctly to get VSS on PS5 I'd want to disable Tempest and essentially follow what was stated in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...iman-he-5xx-review-added.534479/post-15973941.

Given that I use a monitor for gaming I'd have to use an HDMI splitter to get that optical in to whatever VSS solution I want to use. Am I off in any of this? Unless a 2.1 splitter appears in the future this would be limiting in terms of support 4k120 but this would be sufficient for the short term at least.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #45,527 of 48,562
So after doing a bunch of reading of the comments / resources in this thread (thanks MLE!) I think I have a bit of predicament as I want to utilize VSS.

If I follow correctly to get VSS on PS5 I'd want to disable Tempest and essentially follow what was stated in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...iman-he-5xx-review-added.534479/post-15973941.

Given that I use a monitor for gaming I'd have to use an HDMI splitter to get that optical in to whatever VSS solution I want to use. Am I off in any of this? Unless a 2.1 splitter appears in the future this would be limiting in terms of support 4k120 but this would be sufficient for the short term at least.
Ahh I stupidly missed MLE's response at the bottom there about using VSS via HDMI
So appears USB for Tempest only and HDMI for legacy VSS

Thanks for doing all this MLE, massively appreciated - you are the best

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #45,528 of 48,562

I'm currently playing through Black Ops, and I'd say, don't write off Tempest. It's REALLY good. You may find that you don't need VSS.

Also you don't need a splitter if you're TV supports dolby digital through an optical out. If so, you set the ps5 main audio to be Bitstream Dolby. Then attach a DAC with an optical input and some VSS. Like the X7, G6, Mixamp, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #45,529 of 48,562
I'm currently playing through Black Ops, and I'd say, don't write off Tempest. It's REALLY good. You may find that you don't need VSS.

Also you don't need a splitter if you're TV supports dolby digital through an optical out. If so, you set the ps5 main audio to be Bitstream Dolby. Then attach a DAC with an optical input and some VSS. Like the X7, G6, Mixamp, etc.
Alas I use a monitor for gaming. For someone who is super used to VSS how does the Penrose stack up in your eyes with Tempest?

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #45,530 of 48,562
I'm tempted to get the Penrose. But seeing as I'm indifferent about the wireless convenience, is it even worth it?
I already have the Fidelio X2, HD598 and K712 on hand, which I'm sure will sound as good if not better than the Penrose. Maybe I should save the money and upgrade to the HD800s.

Cannot test those mid-range headphones with Tempest until I get my hands on the PS5 this Thursday

Nov 14, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #45,531 of 48,562
From the descriptions I'm reading, it may be that sony expects the games themselves to have more reverb, and that's why the 3d audio headphones option is seeming a little lackluster. Other than that, the audio itself needs to have high frequencies in them for the best results, and sometimes it gets lost due to other effects or too much compression to save space.

Nov 14, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #45,532 of 48,562
I'm tempted to get the Penrose. But seeing as I'm indifferent about the wireless convenience, is it even worth it?
I already have the Fidelio X2, HD598 and K712 on hand, which I'm sure will sound as good if not better than the Penrose. Maybe I should save the money and upgrade to the HD800s.

Cannot test those mid-range headphones with Tempest until I get my hands on the PS5 this Thursday

I think its better to go for really comfortable high-end headphones. The problem with gaming headsets they usually are closed back which mean its not going to be comfortable in the long run. For gaming i prefer open back for comfort and that wider soundstage. + the mic sounds not good from the samples of Penrose. You have so many options here like ModMic 5 that is wireless so you can attach it to a HD800S if you wanted.

Nov 14, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #45,533 of 48,562
I was playing Apex Legends last night on PS5. I changed the sound setting on my LG CX tv to output sound via optical, put the optical to the Topping D50s -> L30 -> Arya. I had to turn the DAC to 0.00db and when i put the amp to 0.00db, it was just loud enough. I had to kick on the +6db on the amp to get a volume I enjoyed.

PS5 -> USB -> Topping D50s did NOT work.

I’m going to try the E30 later today to see if the results are different. I have not tried PS5 controller -> 3.5mm headphones or PS5 controller -> USB-C to USB-A adapter -> USB to Topping D50s/E30.......yet. Will report back.

I also have the LCD-X, Sundara, and HD660S that I can try via the controller if anyone interested. I’m also really interested in checking out the Penrose since I enjoyed the Mobius and would love to try out Tempest.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #45,534 of 48,562
Or regular HDMI splitters if you have a 1080p TV/ dont need 4k120

That's just the problem, I have an Xbox Series X and an RTX3090 here and a PS5 incoming.
All is connected to LG CX series, so I strongly prefer 4k 120.
The HDMI splitter I'd need for splitting to the Realiser I've been waiting for for over 4 years now.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #45,535 of 48,562
E30 to L30 seemed to produce more volume, I had to turn the DAC to around -25db to be at a comfortable level.

USB from PS5 to E30 did not work, had to use optical from TV.

Arya to controller (XLR to 3.5mm) sounded a little quiet, LCD-X was a little louder, Sundara sounded the loudest. Going to the 3D setting where you hear the water flowing sounded like it was higher and lower vertically when changing the setting, so Tempest is working through the controller with all the adapters. Only downside is that you have all these adapters hanging down from the bottom of your controller.

I’m guessing Apex is not utilizing Tempest, I couldn’t tell a difference between controller and DAC except for audio volume.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #45,536 of 48,562
E30 to L30 seemed to produce more volume, I had to turn the DAC to around -25db to be at a comfortable level.

USB from PS5 to E30 did not work, had to use optical from TV.

Arya to controller (XLR to 3.5mm) sounded a little quiet, LCD-X was a little louder, Sundara sounded the loudest. Going to the 3D setting where you hear the water flowing sounded like it was higher and lower vertically when changing the setting, so Tempest is working through the controller with all the adapters. Only downside is that you have all these adapters hanging down from the bottom of your controller.

I’m guessing Apex is not utilizing Tempest, I couldn’t tell a difference between controller and DAC except for audio volume.

I'll use a portable amp between controller and phones: better quality amplification, no adapters hanging from the controller (ordered a soft cotton wrapped cable), easier to control volume on the fly with a knob than in the menus of your console.
I already tested the setup with my desktop amp.

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #45,537 of 48,562
Testing more of the PS5. Controller, G6, and Hel as amp only.

G6 as dac AND amp works well for easy to drive headphones. Not much headroom.

G6 to an amp provides more volume than controller audio out to amp. Still recommend easier to drive headphones.

Controller to amp will work in a pinch, but isn't ideal.

I recommend easier to drive headphones, period.

Using the 6XX as the testing headphone, G6 basically needed to be high gain and maxed out volume for good volume output.

Controller out to 6XX, was way too quiet.

Controller to amp was enough for 6XX.

G6 to amp has some headroom for 6XX, but not a bunch.

Also, because you're near maxing out amplifiers, ALWAYS lower the volume drastically before turning the amp on/off, and removing/attaching headphones or any cable from your amps. If you forget, you can end up blowing your drivers due to extremely high output on your amp, which can cause potential pops when attaching/detaching cables.

As it stands, PS5 just isn't very headphone-centric audiophile friendly due to very low output from anything that isn't its hdmi out.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #45,539 of 48,562
It's worth mentioning that that G6 is pretty versatile with the ps5 because you can also just attach an optical cable to it say the same time, so if you, for example set the ps5 to hdmi out (remember, Bitstream Dolby on ps5 sound settings) and then hook up an optical out from TV to G6, you can have both optical source and usb source from PS5. This way you can swap between them, and use SBX when optical, and Tempest 3D when usb from ps5.

AGAIN REMEMBER, LOWER VOLUME WHEN CHANGING SOURCE. Optical output will be normal and loud, so if you set your volume for usb and then switch to the optical source, you'll blow your drivers if you don't lower volume beforehand.

If you blow your drivers, don't say I didn't warn you.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #45,540 of 48,562
Optical from TV is also possible into a DAC/Amp but with my TV (LG OLED CX/GX series) you won't get formats like Atmos if the game provides it, the optical output "downsamples" to DD. Only HDMI can go up to Atmos/True HD.
Only mentioning it since the LG CX/GX series might be a screen more people could be looking into for use with the newest consoles or RTX 30 series cards.

For an Xbox, as formats like Windows Sonic, Atmos for headphones or DTS headphone X are passed through fine via HDMI to TV optical as they use stereo channels anyway.
I suspect Tempest audio from the PS5 is no different. Will have mine on Thursday (launch day here in Europe).
That way one could have the same sound (effects) as one gets from the controller but with better SQ and no double amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back