Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 15, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #45,541 of 48,562
I'll use a portable amp between controller and phones: better quality amplification, no adapters hanging from the controller (ordered a soft cotton wrapped cable), easier to control volume on the fly with a knob than in the menus of your console.
I already tested the setup with my desktop amp.
I have a hip DAC that I can try that with to see if it makes any difference.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #45,542 of 48,562
Optical from TV is also possible into a DAC/Amp but with my TV (LG OLED CX/GX series) you won't get formats like Atmos if the game provides it, the optical output "downsamples" to DD. Only HDMI can go up to Atmos/True HD.
Only mentioning it since the LG CX/GX series might be a screen more people could be looking into for use with the newest consoles or RTX 30 series cards.

For an Xbox, as formats like Windows Sonic, Atmos for headphones or DTS headphone X are passed through fine via HDMI to TV optical as they use stereo channels anyway.
I suspect Tempest audio from the PS5 is no different. Will have mine on Thursday (launch day here in Europe).
That way one could have the same sound (effects) as one gets from the controller but with better SQ and no double amping.
Yeah Tempest is already output in stereo. I mean that's how the controller would be able to send Tempest to headphones lol.

Everyone can consider Tempest 3D audio to be similar to standard VSS solutions in practice.

Just waiting for Sony to update the ps5 to send 3D audio through the hdmi, so we won't need to attach a dac directly to the console or the controller jack.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #45,545 of 48,562
Did you test PS5 -> USB -> G6 -> Optical out -> DAC/AMP -> Headphones?

Yeah, the first day. It's incrementally louder than G6 to amp alone. I was already using optical to my Modi 3 and Magni 3 for my PC, which is why I opted to just do G6 to Hel instead, since I wasn't using the Hel's analog input for anything else.

@Mad Lust Envy what % do you use for SBX on ur G6 out of curiosity?

I like SBX at 100%. It's the only vss I like maxed out. Others like Dolby Headphone, GSX, Waves, etc, I like halfway or so. So whatever their middle settings are. Though the Mobius I like at around 40% max.

To reiterate, you don't want to use SBX when using Tempest 3D audio on the PS5 through usb audio. Use SBX when taking audio from the HDMI out of the PS5 (since you can't get Tempest 3D audio from HDMI out).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #45,546 of 48,562
Hello everyone!

First of all thank you for the guide, I cannot imagine the effort and time you had to put on all of this. Definetly the best gaming audio guide I have came accross.
That said, I wanted a recommendation because I am a bit on the fence regarding my next gaming headset/headphone. I plan on expending 200-250 Eur MAX.

Priorities:
1. Usage: PC Gaming (a bit of everything, but specially MMOs, so great inmersion would be appreciated), daily use and music.
2. Closed back preferably, but open to consider open back if the quality is way better.
3. I don't mind being wireless or not. In cases like penrose is a good plus.
4. Don't want to wait no more than 3 weeks from now. Pref to get them by black friday or so.
5. Confort: for long hours of usage.

My main options are:

- Audece Penrose: Seems really good. Anyways if a wired version performs better than the penrose for lower price I would be interested. Drawback is the wait time.
- HD 6XX: Another great one. Overall seems really nice, despite not big fan of open backs (prefer a BIT of isolation at sound cost). Drawback would be it seems to be hard to get in EU as well, and inmersion might not be the best.
- Beyerdynamic MMX300 2nd gen: A bit out of my bugdet, but if in black friday gets below 250 would be a candidate. No idea how are in comparison with the rest of the list quality wise.
- HyperX Cloud Orbit: The most probable candidate. A cheaper mobius with crap software (for what I have read) and really good inmersion. It will definetly get on a good spot with the black friday discounts. If it gets anywhere 200 I would probably get this.

So these are my options. I have the feeling I would probably end up getting the HyperX Orbit. Which would you guys choose? If its not in the list please feel free to recommend it!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #45,547 of 48,562
I’d wait and see if you can get a BF deal on the Mobius or find one used from a good source.
I’d certainly prefer an Audeze over a headset from a gaming brand.
And assuming you’re going to use a PC it would give you an extra VSS option that the Penrose doesn’t.

I am more a fan of immersion than accurate pinpointing as well and that’s what planar drivers from Audeze will deliver in spades.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #45,548 of 48,562
Yeah, the first day. It's incrementally louder than G6 to amp alone. I was already using optical to my Modi 3 and Magni 3 for my PC, which is why I opted to just do G6 to Hel instead, since I wasn't using the Hel's analog input for anything else.

With PS4 I use G6 EQ -7dB to make the sound quiet enough with my HDV820 at 9 o'clock. Any headphone and 11 o'clock is my max limit with HDV820. I might have some hope with PS5.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #45,549 of 48,562
I’d wait and see if you can get a BF deal on the Mobius or find one used from a good source.
I’d certainly prefer an Audeze over a headset from a gaming brand.
And assuming you’re going to use a PC it would give you an extra VSS option that the Penrose doesn’t.

I am more a fan of immersion than accurate pinpointing as well and that’s what planar drivers from Audeze will deliver in spades.

As far as I know, the Penrose is identical to the Mobius, with exception of the removal of the headtracking tech (which for me seems useless). Sound-wise should be the same. Doesn't the penrose include surround sound? I believed this was produced by the computer software instead of the headphones.

The main drawback of the Mobius for me seems the added price of the 3d tracking, as well as wireless, which is not really that important for me as it is for PC usage mostly. These together set the price of the mobius to 400 EUR, down to 300 in BF at best, which is still way off my budget.

Regarding the HyperX, I felt the same as you, but supposedly, they are made entirely by Audeze, with only some minor specs from HyperX. For what I have read they can be even more confortable, while retaining the mobius sound quality

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #45,550 of 48,562
As far as I know, the Penrose is identical to the Mobius, with exception of the removal of the headtracking tech (which for me seems useless). Sound-wise should be the same. Doesn't the penrose include surround sound? I believed this was produced by the computer software instead of the headphones.

The main drawback of the Mobius for me seems the added price of the 3d tracking, as well as wireless, which is not really that important for me as it is for PC usage mostly. These together set the price of the mobius to 400 EUR, down to 300 in BF at best, which is still way off my budget.

Regarding the HyperX, I felt the same as you, but supposedly, they are made entirely by Audeze, with only some minor specs from HyperX. For what I have read they can be even more confortable, while retaining the mobius sound quality
They don't sound the same. The Penrose is improved technologically over the Mobius. Quieter noise floor, and preliminary testing, it took me two seconds to realize the the Mobius is quite a bit warmer than the Penrose. The Penrose sounds more dynamic, energetic, cleaner, and clearer. They're *quite* different. Both are stellar to me, but the Penrose sounds faster, more spacious and detailed, while the Mobius is more sultry, inviting, and full bodied. They actually contrast and compliment each other well. If I had to choose one on SQ alone, the Penrose takes it however. For gaming, the Penrose is absolutely the better choice. You do have to remember that both have EQ and Mobius has presets, and you can likely EQ the Mobius enough to get something akin to the Penrose tonal character and vice versa. However, I like to leave things default. In terms of the Mobius, I compared with both default and flat presets most.

Though anyone with a Mobius don't feel bad. It's more that they're different than one being better than the other. Testing the Mobius, I remembered why I loved it so much. I'm not left feeling like the Penrose is 'better'. Perhaps technically and singature-wise better suited for games, but the Mobius is more forgiving, and more fleshed out. Definitely can choose one or the other based of personal preference.

The Penrose does not have surround like the Mobius. Why? Because it doesn't need it. The Penrose which is aimed for PS5 will instead rely on Sony's Tempest 3D Audio, and the Penrose X which is aimed for the Series X Xbox will rely on Dolby Atmos. So there's little need for the Penrose to have surround. Actually, there's little reason for any headset to have surround when both consoles have very good surround implementations. You're then searching for surround solution on PC which there are plenty of, and I'd say Waves NX for $10 is an easy recommendation.

The headtracking is missing of course.

The ONLY Hyper X headset made my Audeze is the Orbit.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #45,551 of 48,562
They don't sound the same. The Penrose is improved technologically over the Mobius. Quieter noise floor, and preliminary testing, it took me two seconds to realize the the Mobius is quite a bit warmer than the Penrose. The Penrose sounds more dynamic, energetic, cleaner, and clearer. They're *quite* different. Both are stellar to me, but the Penrose sounds faster, more spacious and detailed, while the Mobius is more sultry, inviting, and full bodied. They actually contrast and compliment each other well. If I had to choose one on SQ alone, the Penrose def takes it however. For gaming, the Penrose is absolutely the better choice. You do have to remember that both have EQ and Mobius has presets, and you can likely EQ the Mobius enough to get something akin to the Penrose tonal character and vice versa. However, I like to leave things default. In terms of the Mobius, I compared with both default and warm presets most.

The Penrose does not have surround like the Mobius. Why? Because it doesn't need it. The Penrose which is aimed for PS5 will instead rely on Sony's Tempest 3D Audio, and the Penrose X which is aimed for the Series X Xbox will rely on Dolby Atmos. So there's little need for the Penrose to have surround. Actually, there's little reason for any headset to have surround when both consoles have very good surround implementations. You're then searching for surround solution on PC which there are plenty of, and I'd say Waves NX for $10 is an easy recommendation.

The headtracking is missing of course.

The ONLY Hyper X headset made my Audeze is the Orbit.

Thank you for your reply!

The Penrose does indeed look great, and with that surround software it will probably sound as inmersive as a any other.

However, as I am not sure how long would be until they are delivered to Europe and as black friday is close... in the worst case:

- Would you recommend the HyperX Cloud Orbit?

I am looking for something in that price range that brings confort, inmersion and good sound quality, but I am mistrustful of gaming brands. Would you recommend any other better?

Nov 16, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #45,552 of 48,562
Thank you for your reply!

The Penrose does indeed look great, and with that surround software it will probably sound as inmersive as a any other.

However, as I am not sure how long would be until they are delivered to Europe and as black friday is close... in the worst case:

- Would you recommend the HyperX Cloud Orbit?

I am looking for something in that price range that brings confort, inmersion and good sound quality, but I am mistrustful of gaming brands. Would you recommend any other better?
FWIR, the Orbit is essentially the Mobius, stripped down without the Bluetooth capability, which tbh is not necessary, as the bluetooth on the Mobius was more a nice bonus, and not essential. I'd say that's a damn good choice.

Remember, it's FOR PC MAINLY through USB. The Aux/3.5mm connection is nice to have for consoles, but is far from ideal, and if consoles are your main use case, definitely consider something else.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #45,553 of 48,562
FWIR, the Orbit is essentially the Mobius, stripped down without the Bluetooth capability, which tbh is not necessary, as the bluetooth on the Mobius was more a nice bonus, and not essential. I'd say that's a damn good choice.

Remember, it's FOR PC MAINLY through USB. The Aux/3.5mm connection is nice to have for consoles, but is far from ideal, and if consoles are your main use case, definitely consider something else.

Yeah I am only use PC so they are more than fine to me. Thank you :beerchug:

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #45,554 of 48,562
Yeah I am only use PC so they are more than fine to me. Thank you :beerchug:
AH I FORGOT TO MENTION, the Orbit S has headtreacking, the regular Orbit doesn't. TBH, you don't need headtracking, even though it's a cool feature.

ALSO, both are said to work on consoles, though I'm not sure on Waves NX surround working to its full capacity on anything but the PC.

Again, forgive me, but I didn't review these, so it's all just based on what I've read on them.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #45,555 of 48,562
Hey there everyone, I was hoping I could get some opinions regarding a few of the headset options I'm looking into.

I've had the Kingston HyperX Cloud II since 2016, and its finally time to retire this headset. The cushioning is starting to peel, and its seen better days.

I've sort of whittled my interests down to a couple headsets, and one headset + desktop mic combo. Though I am complete open to suggestions, as there are so many headsets out there.

Succinctly, I'm looking for a headset preferably under $150 USD, definitely under $200 USD. I 100% need a microphone, and am looking to mostly listen to podcasts and music on the headset, but also casually game at times. So I don't need the most hyper-specific sound space or footstep locating headset. I mostly want the best sounding headset for music, but with a good microphone

Sennheiser PC38X ($169) - I've read some good reviews on the Drop site, but haven't seen much outside of there and in here. Anyone have any experience of how it stacks up with the next headset?

Phillips X2HR ($148.99) + Blue Snowball iCe ($49.99) - The absolute upper limit, as I don't want to spend over $200. Seems great, I've read some people complaining about X2HR's bass, but I'm not looking to competitively game and go pro with the thing. The desktop mic seems like its probably overkill as well.

Some <$150 Headset + Blue Snowball iCe ($49.99) - I'm sure there are some great headphones for music and casual gaming out there, that could be cheaper than the Phillips X2HR.

The other option I have is, since I game mainly on consoles, I purchased one of the new Corsair HS75 XB headsets. I love the thing, and it seems I could buy a Xbox Wireless Windows 10 Adapter ($24.99) to allow me to use this on my PC. It wouldn't be as convenient, moving my headset back and forth throughout the house ever day (I work remote, so I need the headset for podcasts and music). But cost-wise its a great proposition. I noticed there was no review for the Corsair HS75 XB on MLE's list, does anyone else have experience with this and how it holds up to some similarly priced headsets? I've never listened to music with it, just have used it for gaming on the Xbox so far.

Thank you all for reading, and for any opinions you may be able to provide!

EDIT: I should also add that the headset is a gift, I'd only be spending money if its over $150, or if I need to buy a microphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back