Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 13, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #45,496 of 48,562
Not amp via optical. Amp via analog out (the G6 optical and analog out are in the same output, confusingly enough). Just trying to be technically correct. Optical is digital, so if you wanna use optical out from the G6, you'll need a dac like the Modi 3 with an optical in. I don't think it's necessary though. Just G6 - analog out - amp. Just make sure it's a powerful amp. Even a Hel's amp section didn't change output volume noticeably. So I personally recommend at LEAST a Magni 3 Heresy or Magni 3+ level of power output and gain.
Oh thank you for clarifying, that's immensely helpful. I do have a magni 3. So if analog, I'd need to connect via RCA? (G6 optical out -> Magni 3 via rca cables)

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #45,497 of 48,562
@stavros.m

Sorry, the Mobius is picked up only as a Microphone device. So it doesn't work.

Oh thank you for clarifying, that's immensely helpful. I do have a magni 3. So if analog, I'd need to connect via RCA? (G6 optical out -> Magni 3 via rca cables)

Yup, just get a 3.5mm male to RCA male audio cable. 3.5mm to the G6's analog output on the rear, to the Magni 3's audio input.

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #45,499 of 48,562
Penrose is great. You won't be disappointed. Lag free, inaudible noise floor, great immersion, spacious sound, and omg a treat with Tempest audio.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #45,503 of 48,562
Penrose is great. You won't be disappointed. Lag free, inaudible noise floor, great immersion, spacious sound, and omg a treat with Tempest audio.
Do you like the Penrose better than the PC38x for PS5?
I own the x2’s and I think I’m digging the pc38x a little more, and I recall the Mobius maybe sounding better than the x2’s but it’s been a while

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #45,504 of 48,562
You're terrible, you just made me click the buy button on Amazon I tried to avoid all day. ;P
I'm sorry! I mean its exciting! Lol

Hmm, in general if I have to make a choice I'll always go for open wired headphones for maximum versatility and comfort. But I REALLY like the Penrose, so really it depends on whether you want the extra immersion of the Penrose and wireless, or something more traditional in the PC38X. They're different enough not to step on each other's toes.

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #45,505 of 48,562

Hmm, in general if I have to make a choice I'll always go for open wired headphones for maximum versatility and comfort. But I REALLY like the Penrose, so really it depends on whether you want the extra immersion of the Penrose and wireless, or something more traditional in the PC38X. They're different enough not to step on each other's toes.
Thinking about picking up the Penrose then to test them out. What I love about the PC38x (and the x2's) are the soundstage and bass - they both are really fun. How do the Penrose differ in the sound signature?

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #45,506 of 48,562

Yeah but you had me at "great immersion and spacious sound".
For me immersion is more important than accuracy and of course for gaming space is needed.
So I ordered the Penrose. :)

But I do have other options on hand like the LCD-GX and Panda I can connect straight to the controller or via the Jot or the HD800s with the Jot.
I see no reason why I couldn't use my top music cans for gaming as well. :)

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #45,508 of 48,562
You can use the G6 as the DAC, and use an Amp with it. No need to attach a dac to the G6. I attached the Modi because it got me a little more volume.

As for Tempest vs things like the SBX... give me a moment, I will try and explain ass great as I can about what's better and what's worse....

@kellte2

Ok so Sony's Tempest 3D audio:

This best way I can explain is:

You have a headphone. You all are used to how your headphone sounds, right?

Well, think of Tempest as being exactly like how your headphones sounds in stereo, but adding a layer of dimensionality. It still sounds like your headphones, but with more space next to your head. More directionality, so instead of just left/right with subtle front and back imaging, the effect is more surround-ish, but still within a heaphone's "headspace"

You know how there are people that HAAAAAATE virtual surround because to them it sounds 'fake', 'processed', or 'too much reverb'? Well, Tempest audio will satisfy them because it does not change the inherent sound of the headphones used. It's the least amount of changes to a headphone that I've heard to date, while adding some surround immersion without it sounding like literally anything else we've been accustomed to.

Basically, it's your headphones but with a nice dimentional effect that works incredibly well, and is truly immersive.

Do I like it? I love it. Will it replace SBX, GSX, Dolby Headphone, Atmos, Waves NX? No. Why?

The answer is because each of those is meant to turn your headphones into a virtual set of speakers in a virtual room. No longer do headphones sound like headphones with our well known and tested VSS solutions. They're headphones that have been TRANSFORMED to virtual speakers. This is something haters do not understand. You're not meant to compare your headphones to how your headphones sound with VSS. Why? Because it no longer has a headphone's sound.

So why won't it replace the VSS solutions?

Because VSS like SBX and Waves, etc, has much more dimensionality, space, and stage to place objects in front, behind and around us. You can easily tell when something is behind you, because you can imagine it's a few feet behind you.

Sony's Tempest 3D Audio can't compete with that level of spaciousness and size. It is restricted to a headphone's general headspace. So rear sound cues sound like they're next to your ears as opposed to VSS placing rear sound cues a few feet behind you.

So there's the difference. Tempest allows headphones retain their sound with more dimensionality, while VSS transforms your headphones to virtual speakers that no longer sound like headphones. Two VERY different outcomes.

Tempest = headphone audio with some surround
VSS = virtual speakers in a virtual room

Tempest =/= VSS

This summarizes really well something that I couldn't put a finger on when playing some FPS titles yesterday on PS5. After using VSS for years at this point I was finding it much harder to pinpoint the directionality of what I was hearing.

Nov 13, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #45,510 of 48,562
This summarizes really well something that I couldn't put a finger on when playing some FPS titles yesterday on PS5. After using VSS for years at this point I was finding it much harder to pinpoint the directionality of what I was hearing.
On the whole then, in the future when Sony rolls out its personalisation with users sending pictures of their ears, it's unlikely it'll be able to compete with Creative's SXFI or indeed the A16 Realiser. As it's being described as sort of stereo with some surround

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back