Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 26, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #45,136 of 48,565
If you're focusing on competitive play, the 880 would be the best option. I've used all headphones you've listed other than K702. The 880 is bright (some people don't like this), but that makes them even better for competitive shooters because sounds like footsteps are emphasized. It also has near the best imaging and sound stage you'll get in this price range. The 990 is a bassier headphone, which is more "fun" for casual gaming but not ideal for competitive. Unless you're able to find a 32ohm 880 though, the most common sets I see for sale (used and new) are 250 and 600, which means you'd need an amp to drive them to get their fullest potential.

My personal preference for competitive (and some casual) gaming is the new Beyerdynamic TYGR. They're a good mix between the 880 and 990. And the imaging is amazing. It's also 32ohm, so it works well with console controllers. If you're budget can stretch to this, I highly recommend it over all other options you've mentioned.

As for V-Moda boom pro compatibility, I was in the same boat as you. I used a 9500 for a few years thinking I didn't really have other options, but I've since learned more about the hobby. For the Senns, you can get an adapter or a different boom mic cable that fits the 2.5mm jack it has, which is a plus. The Beyerdynamics can also be modded to use a detachable cable. Just search "beyerdynamic detachable cable mod" and you'll get plenty of hits. It's easy enough to do if you have experience soldering, but Demevalos (who wrote one of the guides) offers the service for $75 through his Etsy store.

I currently use a TYGR with the detachable cable mod for both PC and console competitive gaming. Highly recommend it. It is a little pricier, but if you consider the price of an amp if you went with the 880, or the price of a desktop mic, then it's comparable overall, and even better if you're able to do the mod yourself.

EDIT: I also use a Soundblaster G6 amp/dac with my PS4, though I've used the TYGRs with the controller too and they still work great.
Thank you but unfortunately I cant find the TYGR 300 R anywhere in canada. it wont ship from their stores either. so frustrating.

As for the 880, is 32 Ohm worth it for my needs? (gaming). I dont care about listening to music or movies.

Should I just settle for the 9500?

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #45,137 of 48,565
Something else. But I can't discuss.
I joined this forum today specifically to comment on this. It's almost a month later.... :wink:

I ordered the Mobius yesterday to see what planar magnetic headphones are all about. Should I return them and wait for something better to be released?

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #45,139 of 48,565
If going by the old scores it might get a whole number more in competitive or fun! I HOPE MLE HAS A GOOOOD SCORE NUMBER READY FOR THIS. WANNA SEE THE NUMBERS.

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #45,140 of 48,565
Arghhhh. OK new idea: Should I get the PC37x instead over the 9500? Or should I wait for the PC38x?

For competitive gaming, hearing footsteps, etc., are the PC37x/38x better than 9500?

Edit: Ok Ive decided to go with the PC37x

However I want to wait for 38x and see if they are going to better for competitive games. Otherwise Ill stick with the 37x.

I know this Mr Mad Lust guy reviewed it and loved it, but does he have thoughts on the 37x? Also, how long do I have to wait for the 38x to come out exactly? Im in Canada so I hope the shipping isnt too much from Drop if i go for the 38x

Last question: Are these headsets based on headphones that Sennheiser releases better than normal headsets like the ones offered from HyperX and Arctis? They are still "headphone" headsets right?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #45,141 of 48,565
Arghhhh. OK new idea: Should I get the PC37x instead over the 9500? Or should I wait for the PC38x?

For competitive gaming, hearing footsteps, etc., are the PC37x/38x better than 9500?

However I want to wait for 38x and see if they are going to better for competitive games. Otherwise Ill stick with the 37x.

I know this Mr Mad Lust guy reviewed it and loved it, but does he have thoughts on the 37x? Also, how long do I have to wait for the 38x to come out exactly? Im in Canada so I hope the shipping isnt too much from Drop if i go for the 38x

Last question: Are these headsets based on headphones that Sennheiser releases better than normal headsets like the ones offered from HyperX and Arctis? They are still "headphone" headsets right?
Have you looked at Antlion Modmics? My solution is a pair of DT-1990 Pro and a Modmic Uni. Tho, tbh, the Senn headset offerings would be a cut above the normal collection of gamer headsets.

Sep 27, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #45,142 of 48,565

The Sennheiser Game One IS the PC37X, just different color and outer cup design. And I reviewed the Game One, so that's my opinion on the 37X.

As for the 'other' headphone that is upcoming, I haven't finished yet, and their release was pushed back slightly. I'm hoping to finish the review within the next few days, but I can't post until the release date which is weeks from now.

Apparently I'm supposed to also be getting the Penrose any day now as well, which I'll be super happy to test out, though I don't expect any major sound difference from the Mobius, other than wireless signal quality being better than the Bluetooth on the Mobius. I'll expect the Mobius to sound better while it's attached via usb though, though the Penrose works for consoles.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #45,143 of 48,565
I think the review for the PC38x has convinced me to get them. I was considering the GSP600 with a GSX1000 amp to use on the PS4, but I’ve never had any open back headphones so I’m willing to try them out. I’m tempted to get the GSP500 right now, but I’m going to wait for the 38x. I’ve also decided I want an amp to go with the PS4/PS5 too and think I’m set on the SBX G6. I might play some games on PC in the future but 99% will be on console.

My previous setup was a TB 800 elite which kept losing connection, then I went wired Arctic 5 over USB. Used them for a year or two, then I wanted something a little better so i chose the HyperX Revolver S. I like them, but i still have a hard time picking out footsteps in Apex Legends while using stereo and their Dolby 7.1 surround feature.

I was considering the Arctic Pro + DAC but something seemed fishy about how many reviews they had and recent reviews were really critical. I also wanted to move away from Arctic.

I also have ordered the Audeze Mobius to see what all this “planar” stuff is about. I’ve seen mixed reviews on them as well but the positive ones are POSITIVE. Might send them back depending on performance or if something updated comes out in October.
Any opinions and suggestions about my decisions are welcome! I’m always eager to learn more since I don’t have very much experience.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #45,144 of 48,565

if you dont like the shp9600 please don't buy the 9500. I would say the 38x looks very nice, and it has the bonus of a sennheiser mic, which imo is one of the best headset mics available (i think it sounds better than a modmic for example)

I think the review for the PC38x has convinced me to get them. I was considering the GSP600 with a GSX1000 amp to use on the PS4, but I’ve never had any open back headphones so I’m willing to try them out. I’m tempted to get the GSP500 right now, but I’m going to wait for the 38x. I’ve also decided I want an amp to go with the PS4/PS5 too and think I’m set on the SBX G6. I might play some games on PC in the future but 99% will be on console.

My previous setup was a TB 800 elite which kept losing connection, then I went wired Arctic 5 over USB. Used them for a year or two, then I wanted something a little better so i chose the HyperX Revolver S. I like them, but i still have a hard time picking out footsteps in Apex Legends while using stereo and their Dolby 7.1 surround feature.

I was considering the Arctic Pro + DAC but something seemed fishy about how many reviews they had and recent reviews were really critical. I also wanted to move away from Arctic.

I also have ordered the Audeze Mobius to see what all this “planar” stuff is about. I’ve seen mixed reviews on them as well but the positive ones are POSITIVE. Might send them back depending on performance or if something updated comes out in October.
Any opinions and suggestions about my decisions are welcome! I’m always eager to learn more since I don’t have very much experience.
closed back planars are tricky business, hard to do right

Sep 27, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #45,145 of 48,565
The Sennheiser Game One IS the PC37X, just different color and outer cup design. And I reviewed the Game One, so that's my opinion on the 37X.

Thanks, would you overall say the sound for competitive gaming is significantly better to make the 38x a better pick than the cheaper 37x? I feel like I'm not someone who would notice or care about the headphones being more well rounded/geared better towards musicality.

Additionally, for an all-rounder, my intention would be to get the cheaper 37X and then the X2HR for music/media down the road. Unless you'd caution otherwise, I think Im going to get the 37X for the gaming benefits. I dont know much about drivers or anything technical like that, but would I be missing out severely if I am opting out of the GSP drivers the 38x is based on? Thanks!

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #45,146 of 48,565
I’m thinking the same thing: get the P37x now (I don’t think I can wait 6 months for the 38x to come out) or get the newer drivers in the GSP 500 (look doesn’t bother me). I have heard tho that the GSP 500 dont really benefit much from an amp; I’m deciding between the Fulla and G6, think I will get Fulla.

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #45,147 of 48,565
Sep 27, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #45,148 of 48,565
6 months?? In that case Ill just go for the 37X

One last question: I want a shorter cable for the 37x when used on console. But i cant tell which will work between: https://www.eposaudio.com/en/ca/gaming/products/unp-console-cable-gaming-cable-506507

and

https://www.eposaudio.com/en/ca/gaming/products/gsa-506-gaming-cable-507294

One of them is 2 ringed and the other is 3 ringed. Would the mic work with the 2 ringed? What's the difference and which will work on my ps4 controller? Thanks
if i remember correctly, 2 ring/3 pole is R/L/Ground and the 3 ring/4 pole/TRRS will be Mic/L/R/Ground.

Geez......

After investigating so much about headphones and amps and worrying which one I could be satisfied with, I feel like just getting the HD00S and be done with it. But then I would need an amp to power it and amazing source material.....

Sorry for my constant posts, I’m not patient at all and I’m anxious to find a solution I love.

Sep 28, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #45,149 of 48,565

As for the 'other' headphone that is upcoming, I haven't finished yet, and their release was pushed back slightly. I'm hoping to finish the review within the next few days, but I can't post until the release date which is weeks from now.

Apparently I'm supposed to also be getting the Penrose any day now as well, which I'll be super happy to test out, though I don't expect any major sound difference from the Mobius, other than wireless signal quality being better than the Bluetooth on the Mobius. I'll expect the Mobius to sound better while it's attached via usb though, though the Penrose works for consoles.

Thanks for the update. Do you know if it's possible to use Dolby Atmos Headphone through Windows with the Mobius?

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #45,150 of 48,565
Thanks for the update. Do you know if it's possible to use Dolby Atmos Headphone through Windows with the Mobius?
Yes. Find a method to dolby headphone (like an Asus Xonar U3), and attach the Mobius aux input into the line out on the Xonar U3. Since the Mobius has its own amp, you can literally connect the Mobius to any line out. Since the U3 can pass DH through the line out, it's a simple way to do it.

Of course, it's not the most ideal way to use the Mobius, but it works.

Then there's the HeSuVi method, but I won't get into that, and I don't like the process of it either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back