Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 24, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #45,121 of 48,566
So I had my HD598 break down on me yesterday after using for a very extensive period. Although I’ve tried many other headphones during this time, I keep coming back to this due to shear comfort alone, especially for gaming.

The weird thing about me is that I find comfort probably the most important aspect of a headphone, even sometimes above sound and tone. I know it sounds very unprofessional and stupid from my part. It’s also I largely find many headphones to not really suit my head, especially in clamp force and some feel like it’s an oven for my ears.

The thing is I’m also very adventurous and still want to try something new. Is there any recommendation you guys would give to maybe consider? Preferably with a neutral signature, isolation doesn’t matter much. I was originally gonna wait for the PS5 and decide by then, but now I don’t have much of a choice.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #45,122 of 48,566
Takstar HF 580 planar magnetic headphones with Avia ear pads, both sold by Aliexpress.

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #45,123 of 48,566
Ok got my Topping DX7 Pro DAC today, and i tested out the Optical from the X3. And there was no VSS coming from the X3 optical.

You've got to fiddle around, but you can get VSS out to an external DAC via optical. It's in the speakers option with headphone virtualization checked. Stupid, yes.

Quick question: MLE, why haven't you ever reviewed the HD800 or HD800S?

Asking the big questions :)

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #45,124 of 48,566
Because they haven't sent them to me. Trust me, I REALLY want to try them out. @Sennheiser, I'm waiting. :wink:

I've been wanting to review the HD800/S for...ever.

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #45,125 of 48,566
Because they haven't sent them to me. Trust me, I REALLY want to try them out. @Sennheiser, I'm waiting. :wink:

I've been wanting to review the HD800/S for...ever.
I'm in the UK, if I was in the US I'd send them to you in a flash for a review. Also, if you can get your mitts on a pair, the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 II is really good.

Edit: sent them this. Fingers crossed.

1600998025806.png

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #45,126 of 48,566
I'm in the UK, if I was in the US I'd send them to you in a flash for a review. Also, if you can get your mitts on a pair, the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 II is really good.

Edit: sent them this. Fingers crossed.

I reviewed the MMX300 version II. On the first page. Though it was through headphone.guru. So it links to there.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #45,127 of 48,566
Argh!! Forgive me, missed it. Very nice review of the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 II. Btw, I got a set of Dekoni pads (as per Zeos' review) and they are very very comfortable with that extra depth for the ears, nice cushioning, and that wee bit of extra oomph with the sound doesn't go amiss. Not cheap though.

*Edit: I hope I wasn't embarrassing you with me getting in touch with Sennheiser with the above post, but your guides just wouldn't be complete without a review of the HD800S.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #45,128 of 48,566
I reviewed the MMX300 version II. On the first page. Though it was through headphone.guru. So it links to there.

Can you try to get a 560S in to test? I'd love to hear the thoughts against the PC38X, it seems like none of the reviewers with the 560S seem to have heard the PC38X yet (besides Zeos but his lips are currently sealed)

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #45,129 of 48,566
About the Senny PC38x.
I can't find it on Senheiser's website, is this because it's essentially a Drop product?
Further on, I both have a Mobius and a MMX300 Gen1, how would you rate the senny against these 2?

See, I have this dilemma: my second Mobius just cracked and I'd like to replace it now.
I've lost trust in the product, yet it fulfilled all my needs ( and more )
So now I don't just have to seek out a replacement headphone/set yet also a gaming soundcard with similar capabilities as the Mobius ( minus the head tracking I guess ).

I'm a bit at a loss, since I've sold all my previous usb sound solutions and Since I'm on a ITX I can't use PCIe cards.

Halp ? :)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #45,130 of 48,566
I am so tired of researching in this hobby and am hoping for help. After 1+ month of research, I am simply fed up. So many contrasting opinions. Ive seen both extreme negatives and positives of the same headphones for so many products that its driving me insane. I just want to be done with this hobby and never look back. I am looking for gaming headphones. FPS/competitive games mostly.

I hated the SHP9600's sound and fit. Very loose, very muffled sounds.

I hear the SHP9500 sounds better than X2HR for gaming (FPS competitive) but the 9600s made me doubt that. Does the 9500 sound very different from 9600 and is it worth trying? My worry is that if 9600 is loose, 9500 will be too.

I want to stick with Philips cuz of the V Moda Boom Pro. I have the X2Hr and they arent bad, but I keep wanting more accurate headphones for fps games.

Is the HD 599 a better option? K702? I hear imaging/sound for 702 is not that good for gaming.

Im stuck deciding now between DT 880/990 or HD 599. My issue with the DTs are the non detachable cable.

Everything sucks anyway since nothing is compatible with a mic, so now I begrudingly will get a desktop mic if i go with HD 599 or DT 880/990 or 702.

Alternatively, i stick with the X2HR. But knowing that I can get headphones that are superior for gaming needs bothers me, and i feel like im making a bad purchase with the X2

So I ask kindly, can you guys help me decide between SHP9500, X2HR, HD 599, DT 880/990, or K702?

The other big wrinkle is I want to use this on consoles like PS4 and PS5 too and i know this will create issues with impedence if Im running things thru the controller. but if i connect this headphones via usb to the console itself, will i be fine?

Thanks y'all.

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #45,131 of 48,566
I am so tired of researching in this hobby and am hoping for help. After 1+ month of research, I am simply fed up. So many contrasting opinions. Ive seen both extreme negatives and positives of the same headphones for so many products that its driving me insane. I just want to be done with this hobby and never look back. I am looking for gaming headphones. FPS/competitive games mostly.

I hated the SHP9600's sound and fit. Very loose, very muffled sounds.

I hear the SHP9500 sounds better than X2HR for gaming (FPS competitive) but the 9600s made me doubt that. Does the 9500 sound very different from 9600 and is it worth trying? My worry is that if 9600 is loose, 9500 will be too.

I want to stick with Philips cuz of the V Moda Boom Pro. I have the X2Hr and they arent bad, but I keep wanting more accurate headphones for fps games.

Is the HD 599 a better option? K702? I hear imaging/sound for 702 is not that good for gaming.

Im stuck deciding now between DT 880/990 or HD 599. My issue with the DTs are the non detachable cable.

Everything sucks anyway since nothing is compatible with a mic, so now I begrudingly will get a desktop mic if i go with HD 599 or DT 880/990 or 702.

Alternatively, i stick with the X2HR. But knowing that I can get headphones that are superior for gaming needs bothers me, and i feel like im making a bad purchase with the X2

So I ask kindly, can you guys help me decide between SHP9500, X2HR, HD 599, DT 880/990, or K702?

The other big wrinkle is I want to use this on consoles like PS4 and PS5 too and i know this will create issues with impedence if Im running things thru the controller. but if i connect this headphones via usb to the console itself, will i be fine?

Thanks y'all.

Everyone has different opinions but you're not going to get a huge improvement over the X2 in its price range particularly if you need to stick with something that can use the boom pro. I have the old non HR set (I believe it's essentially the same?) and they're pretty good. I mean maaaaaaaybe try a cheap planar like the 400i or something? Narrower stage but super accurate imaging. If you want to truly reach endgame then just bite the bullet and buy a used HD800S or something.....

What's your source? I'd try different DSP's and see if that improves things first.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #45,132 of 48,566
Everyone has different opinions but you're not going to get a huge improvement over the X2 in its price range particularly if you need to stick with something that can use the boom pro. I have the old non HR set (I believe it's essentially the same?) and they're pretty good. I mean maaaaaaaybe try a cheap planar like the 400i or something? Narrower stage but super accurate imaging. If you want to truly reach endgame then just bite the bullet and buy a used HD800S or something.....

What's your source? I'd try different DSP's and see if that improves things first.
Source is PS4/PS5 via usb or their controllers. I also have a PC and the MOBO is a asrock z77 pro3

So the DT 880, HD 599, and K702 arent marginally better than the X2? I am willing to forfeit the v-moda mic and get a desktop mic if the 3 mentioned headphones are better for imaging/footstep audio, etc.

I dont want to spend $1K for the 800S

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #45,133 of 48,566
Marginally better is subjective and I am going off memory from prior use of all of those headphones, but I can tell you if you're just using stereo sound, none of those headphones will radically improve footstep source or direction or anything like that. Just using an equalizer or a game's sound settings can improve footstep sounds (not direction) if that's all you want. E.g. "low boost" in Modern Warfare. Just boost the frequency of footsteps, no need for different cans.

But beyond that I'd recommend putting your money into a virtual surround solution, as it sounds like you are just using 2 channel source audio right now. A G6 for example is the same price or cheaper than some of the headphones you're considering buying. That will be the biggest improvement. I mean, that's what this thread is all about. There are a couple free solutions on PC you could demo as well. E.g. HeSuVi.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #45,135 of 48,566

If you're focusing on competitive play, the 880 would be the best option. I've used all headphones you've listed other than K702. The 880 is bright (some people don't like this), but that makes them even better for competitive shooters because sounds like footsteps are emphasized. It also has near the best imaging and sound stage you'll get in this price range. The 990 is a bassier headphone, which is more "fun" for casual gaming but not ideal for competitive. Unless you're able to find a 32ohm 880 though, the most common sets I see for sale (used and new) are 250 and 600, which means you'd need an amp to drive them to get their fullest potential.

My personal preference for competitive (and some casual) gaming is the new Beyerdynamic TYGR. They're a good mix between the 880 and 990. And the imaging is amazing. It's also 32ohm, so it works well with console controllers. If you're budget can stretch to this, I highly recommend it over all other options you've mentioned.

As for V-Moda boom pro compatibility, I was in the same boat as you. I used a 9500 for a few years thinking I didn't really have other options, but I've since learned more about the hobby. For the Senns, you can get an adapter or a different boom mic cable that fits the 2.5mm jack it has, which is a plus. The Beyerdynamics can also be modded to use a detachable cable. Just search "beyerdynamic detachable cable mod" and you'll get plenty of hits. It's easy enough to do if you have experience soldering, but Demevalos (who wrote one of the guides) offers the service for $75 through his Etsy store.

I currently use a TYGR with the detachable cable mod for both PC and console competitive gaming. Highly recommend it. It is a little pricier, but if you consider the price of an amp if you went with the 880, or the price of a desktop mic, then it's comparable overall, and even better if you're able to do the mod yourself.

EDIT: I also use a Soundblaster G6 amp/dac with my PS4, though I've used the TYGRs with the controller too and they still work great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back