Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 15, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #44,311 of 48,562
So I bought another cheap dac because I wanted one that also had usb input. Also, considering the PS4 slim doesn't have the optical output.

Someone had told me that even if the dac has it's own ac power adapter, and it's own volume knob, that it wouldn't be any louder than the loudest the dualshock 4 can get it. Well, they were right, and, it's not even as loud as the dualshock 4.

This is bizarre to me because when I'm on my PS3 super slim, using direct optical into my other dac I was using for optical. The volume knob on the original dac does indeed raise the volume quite loud. I've yet to try the new dac on my PS3. As I said I bought it primarily for the PS4.

I feel I am back to square one. Where I would need to plug the optical audio into the t.v. Especially, after reading a reply from MLE about the poor quality of tv optical output.

Back to USB vs optical. More data is carried over USB 2.0 than optical audio, correct? Yet, for whatever reason the PS4 won't allow you to adjust the volume any higher than their OS allows? Seems like the PS3 is better in this regard. Odd.

I'd like to keep my new dac, if nothing else but for a backup.

If I have to run any cables to the tv. I'm wonder if there are any HDMI to toslink, or HDMI to usb type b.

How do I get louder volume than what the PS4 allows? SMH

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #44,312 of 48,562
So I bought another cheap dac because I wanted one that also had usb input. Also, considering the PS4 slim doesn't have the optical output.
Someone had told me that even if the dac has it's own ac power adapter, and it's own volume knob, that it wouldn't be any louder than the loudest the dualshock 4 can get it. Well, they were right, and, it's not even as loud as the dualshock 4.
This is bizarre to me because when I'm on my PS3 super slim, using direct optical into my other dac I was using for optical. The volume knob on the original dac does indeed raise the volume quite loud. I've yet to try the new dac on my PS3. As I said I bought it primarily for the PS4.
I feel I am back to square one. Where I would need to plug the optical audio into the t.v.
Especially, after reading a reply from MLE about the poor quality of tv optical output.
Back to USB vs optical. More data is carried over USB 2.0 than optical audio, correct? Yet, for whatever reason the PS4 won't allow you to adjust the volume any higher than their OS allows? Seems like the PS3 is better in this regard. Odd. I'd like to keep my new dac, if nothing else but for a backup.
If I have to run any cables to the tv. I'm wonder if there are any HDMI to toslink, or HDMI to usb type b.
How do I get louder volume than what the PS4 allows? SMH
What is the make and model of the cheap DAC?
Can we assume your connecting headphones to this DAC?
Are you using any headphone amplifier between the DAC and headphones?

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #44,313 of 48,562
What is the make and model of the cheap DAC?
Can we assume your connecting headphones to this DAC?
Are you using any headphone amplifier between the DAC and headphones?

Hi :)

The dac I bought to use with my PS4 and headphones is the FX Audio dac x6. I do not have seperate amp. I'd like to not buy an av receiver either.

Short of buying an amp. Since I did hook up said dac to my t.v., and it does get loud that way. I prefer just to stay hooked up to the tv, but over HDMI for the possibility of better audio quality. However, I'm having trouble finding any adapters that would work. Maybe I'm obsessing
Maybe the 16/40? tv optical audio is good enough, but I just wanted to be sure I'm getting the best given what I'm working with.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #44,314 of 48,562
Hi :)
The dac I bought to use with my PS4 and headphones is the FX Audio dac x6. I do not have seperate amp. I'd like to not buy an av receiver either.
Short of buying an amp. Since I did hook up said dac to my t.v., and it does get loud that way. I prefer just to stay hooked up to the tv, but over HDMI for the possibility of better audio quality. However, I'm having trouble finding any adapters that would work. Maybe I'm obsessing
Maybe the 16/40? tv optical audio is good enough, but I just wanted to be sure I'm getting the best given what I'm working with.
Seems like connecting the FX Audio DAC X6 to the TV optical output port is the best option.
Set gaming console's audio controls and TV audio to 2-channel stereo audio, to feed the best signal to the optical input on the FX Audio DAC X6.
Not seeing a good reason for going an HDMI adapter.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #44,315 of 48,562
Because my tv is old, tv components are sometimes cheaper. It's definitely the best option as far as price and simplicity. Again, maybe I'm obsessing. Maybe 16/40 isn't THAT bad. It doesn't sound bad, but, I'm curious if it would sound better over a connection that can carry more data. Maybe the extra data is more for the extra channels? and not just the plain old 2 channel stereo.

I have to get some sleep now.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #44,316 of 48,562
I have a question,

Is there a work around to be able to use any Bluetooth headphones as gaming headphones on PS4? So that you'd have the same functionality as the PlayStation Platinums?

I've seen USB dongles and stuff on sale but they look kind of sketchy.

I'm about to pick up some Jaybird Vistas for training with and I was just wondering if I could put them to more use with some gaming. Nothing competitive, just occasionally play online with a mate.

If this has all been answered a million times, would you mind directing me to the relevant forum.

Thanks!

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #44,317 of 48,562
Because my tv is old, tv components are sometimes cheaper. It's definitely the best option as far as price and simplicity. Again, maybe I'm obsessing. Maybe 16/40 isn't THAT bad. It doesn't sound bad, but, I'm curious if it would sound better over a connection that can carry more data. Maybe the extra data is more for the extra channels? and not just the plain old 2 channel stereo.
I have to get some sleep now.
The FX Audio DAC X6 can only process 2-channels of PCM audio.

Apr 15, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #44,318 of 48,562
The FX Audio DAC X6 can only process 2-channels of PCM audio.

Yes but wouldn't 24/96 sound noticeably better than something around 16/40? If yes, and since the dac says it can support the higher frequency. What else do I need to buy to achieve the 24/96 level? A new source? Since the PS4 is limited in this regard, possibly a newer TV, or if one exists, an HDMI adapter? I always thought HDMI was the best.

I kind of want a new TV for many reasons. The TV I own has a usb port but it's only more viewing images. Short of looking at the back panel of a new TV. I wonder if any newer model with usb ports would support audio out of them.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #44,319 of 48,562
Yes but wouldn't 24/96 sound noticeably better than something around 16/40? If yes, and since the dac says it can support the higher frequency. What else do I need to buy to achieve the 24/96 level? A new source? Since the PS4 is limited in this regard, possibly a newer TV, or if one exists, an HDMI adapter? I always thought HDMI was the best. I kind of want a new TV for many reasons.
The TV I own has a usb port but it's only more viewing images. Short of looking at the back panel of a new TV. I wonder if any newer model with usb ports would support audio out of them.
CD-audio is 16-bit/44.1k audio.
DVD movies max around 24-bit.48K
I would assume 24-bit/48k is more than enough for gaming.
So there might be little incentive for game designers to incorporate audio that is higher then 24-bit/48k (but I'm not the expert on gaming audio).
Blu-ray movies disks can support audio above 24-bit/48k.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #44,320 of 48,562
Yes but wouldn't 24/96 sound noticeably better than something around 16/40?

I don't think it will matter in your case. For high end dacs with very low noise floors, using 16 bit introduces noise that can bottleneck their performance. For lower end dacs, there just isn't a very low noise floor to begin with, so it doesn't make much of a difference. And this is mostly looking at noise in an academic sense for measurements, the actual performance difference is probably unnoticeable in a practical sense.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #44,321 of 48,562
CD-audio is 16-bit/44.1k audio.
DVD movies max around 24-bit.48K
I would assume 24-bit/48k is more than enough for gaming.
So there might be little incentive for game designers to incorporate audio that is higher then 24-bit/48k (but I'm not the expert on gaming audio).
Blu-ray movies disks can support audio above 24-bit/48k.

Playstation games use bluray. Not sure if that changes anything in regard to audio.

How do I achieve the 24/48 frequency? The optical output on my older TV is probably around 16/40 or lower. Plugging the dac directly into the PS4 is obviously the best way. However the volume isn't at my preferred listening level.

Slightly different topic.

Just out of curiosity. I wonder what the DUALSHOCK 4 specifications are in regard to audio quality. Whatever they may be. I find it impressive that you can have stereo quality sound coming through a wireless controller.

I don't think it will matter in your case. For high end dacs with very low noise floors, using 16 bit introduces noise that can bottleneck their performance. For lower end dacs, there just isn't a very low noise floor to begin with, so it doesn't make much of a difference. And this is mostly looking at noise in an academic sense for measurements, the actual performance difference is probably unnoticeable in a practical sense.

This does echo a similar conversation I was having with another head-fier. This also gives me a piece of mind having the second opinion.

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #44,322 of 48,562
Ooo thanks ya i completely misunderstood
I also thought with the new ps5 3d built in it would have the functionality to work with usb just like a pc, but i might getting ahead of myself since its not even released yet.
Yeah, might wanna hold off on future ps5 audio purchases.

We may not even need things with virtual surround anymore.

And I believe they've done away with the optical input too, which is a damn shame. The new Xbox doesn't have one.

I feel I am back to square one. Where I would need to plug the optical audio into the t.v. Especially, after reading a reply from MLE about the poor quality of tv optical output.

I think you're misinterpreting what I said. Optical audio output should be essentially the same regardless of devices. It's 1s and 0s. As long as the connection is stable, the TV's optical out is as good as any other. It's only sending ditial data to your dac to convert. There is no such thing as 1s and 0s gaining or losing quality, unless again there is something wring with the connection.

When I said TVs have iffy audio outputs, I mainly meant in RCA analog outputs, as well as optical output perhaps not having the ABILITY to output 5.1. My TV can do 5.1 dolby digital through the optical out. That is essential for getting virtual surround from gaming amps like the Mixamp and G6. HOWEVER, if you're just playing in stereo, any regular TV's optical out would be perfectly fine, again, as long as it's a good connection without interference or drops.

So yes, if you need 5.1 and virtual surround, then your TV may not have the capability. Other than that, nothing is wrong with using the optical out on any tv. Much better than using their analog output.

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #44,323 of 48,562
I think you're misinterpreting what I said. Optical audio output should be essentially the same regardless of devices. It's 1s and 0s. As long as the connection is stable, the TV's optical out is as good as any other. It's only sending ditial data to your dac to convert. There is no such thing as 1s and 0s gaining or losing quality, unless again there is something wring with the connection.

When I said TVs have iffy audio outputs, I mainly meant in RCA analog outputs, as well as optical output perhaps not having the ABILITY to output 5.1. My TV can do 5.1 dolby digital through the optical out. That is essential for getting virtual surround from gaming amps like the Mixamp and G6. HOWEVER, if you're just playing in stereo, any regular TV's optical out would be perfectly fine, again, as long as it's a good connection without interference or drops.

So yes, if you need 5.1 and virtual surround, then your TV may not have the capability. Other than that, nothing is wrong with using the optical out on any tv. Much better than using their analog output.

Hello,

If you get a minute, could you please look at my post above. Thanks.

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #44,324 of 48,562
Yeah, might wanna hold off on future ps5 audio purchases.

We may not even need things with virtual surround anymore.

And I believe they've done away with the optical input too, which is a damn shame. The new Xbox doesn't have one.

Yeah. You were basically saying the optical either works or it doesn't. Meaning it's straightforward in nature. Unless of course there is something wrong/defective in the cable/source etc, which would be a different story.

Also, I'm not into surround sound. However, I still find your reviews and this thread helpful.

Considering I'm only using 2 channel PCM, I guess I'll be alright, if my older TV manages to output around 16/40.
Also, though my dac is capable of 24/96, Mindbomb put my concerns at ease about that frequency (24/96), for my needs, not being necessary.

With that, I am done here, for now.

Thanks everyone! <3 :)

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #44,325 of 48,562
I have a question,

Is there a work around to be able to use any Bluetooth headphones as gaming headphones on PS4? So that you'd have the same functionality as the PlayStation Platinums?

I've seen USB dongles and stuff on sale but they look kind of sketchy.

I'm about to pick up some Jaybird Vistas for training with and I was just wondering if I could put them to more use with some gaming. Nothing competitive, just occasionally play online with a mate.

If this has all been answered a million times, would you mind directing me to the relevant forum.

Thanks!

You can buy something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B07TLHRPDP/

I have an older model of this.

It basically converts either the optical out or any analog out into a Bluetooth signal.

If a headphone supports Apt-X Low Latency, the transceiver will send that to the headphone, which is good. Otherwise you're stuck with slower codecs which will lag behind whatever is on screen. So I'd make absolutely certain a headphone accepts low latency Apt-X.

Also, this device only accepts 2 channel pcm, (stereo). So make 100% certain that your TV or ps4 or whatever it's connected to is set to pcm 2 channel/stereo, or it won't send a proper signal.

Of course, this means you're not getting surround or anything like that. But there IS a way to get that.

What you CAN do is something like this device with a Creative G6. The G6 can send already converted virtual surround into a 2 channel signal via the optical out. This is the ideal solution for people who want their virtual surround to be sent through Bluetooth. You can also just send it through the analog out of the G6 if needed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back