Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 19, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #44,342 of 48,562
Hello MLE. Do you have any review of the Philips SHP9500 with the 3 ratings like the others here?

I am comparing to K702 at the minute for competitive+comfort (both same price in UK).

I was thinking of getting this to go with https://tinyurl.com/y9uab8st as suggested by Zeos If i get anything more than 32 ohm.
Which would you recommend out of that one above, The sound blaster play!3 and sound blaster G3.

I am playing on PC with 2013 Asus Rog Hero IV 4th gen I7 (high end mobo at the time). ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC. Would any of the above improve my experience with online gaming?

any advice would be great thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #44,343 of 48,562
Is it possible to drive the DT 990 Premium 250ohm with the Z170A Gaming Pro?
I know for headphones such as these, its tough not to use an AMP/DAC. But, will the combo above, at least, be better than the Hyperx Cloud Flight (which are the ones I haave atm?)

I can get either the Sennheiser Game One or the DT 990 Premium or Pro which will be used with the Z170A Gaming Pro. It will primarly be used for gaming btw.

EDIT: The Z170A Gaming Pro has the Realtek ALC1150

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #44,344 of 48,562
Different bandwidth use by different drivers? Hard to know. Are you sure you are getting the full 7.1 output with the MS driver?
7.1 vss on the g6 only works with Creative driver, not MS driver. That said I have dolby atmos for headphone and it works with both MS driver and Creative driver.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #44,345 of 48,562
Just want to update on the current pop/click issue of my g6. Once I switch from Creative driver to Microsoft Windows driver (USB Audio 2.0) under Device Manager, the pop/click issue is gone. However, if I try the g6 on another computer with Creative driver then there is no pop/click. So it seems my particular pc has problem with Creative driver. Any idea?

Try using the shortest usb cable that you have

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #44,347 of 48,562
Please elaborate on the importance of needing a shorter cable. I'm not having any of the above problems. However, I am using a ten foot usb cable with my dac.

Well, to me, it sounds like he is having issues with power delivery to his dac. With a shorter cable he can have less capacitance and resistance from the cable, and that might be just enough help to solve his problems.

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #44,348 of 48,562
1. Download USB Tree view, start it and view all your USB controller / device tree with it
https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/32197-usb_device_tree_viewer

2. Locate the controller in which your G6 is attached to
3. Make sure there is ZERO other USB devices attached to that USB controller in adition to G6 (i.e. remove and re-attach usb cables on your computer until you have put them into slots in which they don't share stream bandwith with G6)

If this does not work, youre mother probably has too high/erratic DPC latency and there's very little you can do about it.

https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
So this is my usb tree view:
Capture.PNG

Highlighted is my g6. As you can see it's under the same Intel controller with my other usb devices. I have tried every single usb port but the g6 always remains in the same controller. I don't know how to move it to the Nvidia controller.

I also ran usb tree view on the other computer where there is no pop/click issue with the g6. The g6 there can stay under different usb host controller. There are 2 intel usb host controllers on that computer so I wonder why there's only one on mine.

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #44,349 of 48,562
So this is my usb tree view:
Highlighted is my g6. As you can see it's under the same Intel controller with my other usb devices. I have tried every single usb port but the g6 always remains in the same controller. I don't know how to move it to the Nvidia controller.

I also ran usb tree view on the other computer where there is no pop/click issue with the g6. The g6 there can stay under different usb host controller. There are 2 intel usb host controllers on that computer so I wonder why there's only one on mine.

1. There are USB headers on your motherboard, that offer extra USB-ports to the backplate of your case and/or the front connectors of your case. Most likely your other USB controller (nVidia above in your USB Tree) is conneted to those.

Old USB 3.0/3.1 Gen1 connector on the mobo look like this:
1587376981603.png

And the newer USB 3.1 Gen2 connectors on mobo look like this:
1587377021442.png

If you have truly tested EVERY SINGLE USB port from the back/front of your case already, then you need to find a cable to connect to the above connectors and get more USB ports:

Like this
1587377194866.png

or this:
1587377218125.png

... and you will be able to have more USB ports and be able to attach different devices to different controllers.

Why does you mobo only have 1 Intel controller?

This totally depends on the motherboard maker, chipset used, features added, etc.

You can have anything from 1 to 5 controllers on a single motherboard.

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #44,350 of 48,562
I got a Creative Sound BlasterX G6 when it first came out and enjoy it especially with being able to bypass the amp. I haven't checked this thread since then however. Is there a consensus on a better surround processing device for competitive sound positioning for console mainly but also PC?

Also are Sennheiser HD800's still king?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #44,351 of 48,562
I got a Creative Sound BlasterX G6 when it first came out and enjoy it especially with being able to bypass the amp. I haven't checked this thread since then however. Is there a consensus on a better surround processing device for competitive sound positioning for console mainly but also PC?

Also are Sennheiser HD800's still king?

I will give my highly subjective opinion.

G6 is the best VSS option for PS4 (Chat works) especially when bypassing the amp. Don't know how the chat works on Xbox etc. We might not even need these devices for the next gen consoles.

HD800/HD800S... pretty much for quiet environment. Overkill? Probably, but who cares :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #44,352 of 48,562
HD800 is still a great choice, go for it

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #44,353 of 48,562
What I'd choose isn't what you'd choose because I feel I can game competitively with many headphones that aren't "THE BESTEST!1!!!"

At $200, I'd be more than happy with a 6XX, K7XX, DT880, X2, K612, HE4XX, etc. There's a bunch of great headphones that will do gaming competitively very well without sacrificing enjoyment
The AD700 and ADG1 give too much up in enjoyment just for the sake of competitive edge, and it's not like I'd do any better or worse with the others.

@Mad Lust Envy This suggestion here is Hifiman HE4XX massdrop and Sennheiser HD 6XX massdrop ? is it correct ?

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #44,354 of 48,562
Apr 22, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #44,355 of 48,562
What's up everyone!

I'm looking to buy a headphone that'd be good for a game such as Escape From Tarkov… I have the HD 660S at the moment, but I'm wondering if something else would be better? I'm looking to spend $300-$400 tops.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back