Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #4,187 of 48,562

Quote:
Which of the headphones you reviewed do you think is the best compromise for gaming/movies and music ?

I had the Sennheiser HD 598, now have the Beyer DT 990 pro. 
I can strongly recommend the HD 598 as a great overall headphone for all you purposes. I think that one is a good compromise and I loved it watching movies/gaming as well as listening to music. The 990 pro has the better movie/gaming performance though.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #4,188 of 48,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy 
BTW, the Mass Effect 3 demo with the D7000.... SCHWEETNESS ALMIGHTY.

Quote:
Same with the Pro 900s, first game to make me just sit there and go... HOLY crap

The noise these things made when the reapers first hit... omg.

Might buy it for the sound alone.

I can say the same for the 990/600. When that one reaper shoot the laser inside the building and everything goes BOOM! Totally awesome, I almost pissed myself, lol...Man, those reapers scared the heck outta me.

BTW, I support the gaming sub-forum petition. Power to the gamers! xD

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #4,189 of 48,562
oddly enough I thought the k701's to have a supremely tiny cone of accuracy enough to pinpoint the exact direction of foot prints of someone coming up a hill.

The DT770 pro/80 has a slightly larger cone and is not as accurate but their closed design makes them a ton easier to listen to 90% of the time.

Some people mic mod their 770's, mic mod on the 702s would be awesome as well. Granted you could find an amazing mic, clamp it to the desk and use that instead.  I decided to order the astro set(I owned the original mixamp but it went bad on me) just for sake of testing the mic and ther head set with the new mixamp.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #4,190 of 48,562

Quote:
I did mention that the DT990 Pro has a bit too much midbass, which is why I returned it...

Yup yup I still find it a highly entertaining headphone for the game though. Couple hours with it switch to Senns heh. I am still researching that perfect headphone though I am beginning to think it doesn't exist or i can't afford it.lol

For funs I was listening to some dubstep tracks on the Sens and i was shocked when I stumbled across a song and realized there is a ton of bass just hiding behind all that mid freq. Kinda blew me away. Really enjoyed it then put on some Jack Johnson and was swept away again.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #4,192 of 48,562

Quote:
oh no should i be regretting ordering the srh840 for gaming? 

I know I would but that is just me and I love a nice big soundstage. If you want to here every little tiny detail in your music I hear the 840 is a fantastic can. For gaming and music i would have to say nope but that is just from reading and looking around. :)

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #4,193 of 48,562

Quote:
I had the Sennheiser HD 598, now have the Beyer DT 990 pro. 
I can strongly recommend the HD 598 as a great overall headphone for all you purposes. I think that one is a good compromise and I loved it watching movies/gaming as well as listening to music. The 990 pro has the better movie/gaming performance though.

Both are above my 200$ budget :)
Anything under would be great 

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #4,194 of 48,562

Quote:
Both are above my 200$ budget :)
Anything under would be great 

There are lots. CALs, Superlux 668B, Samson Sr850, Senheiser 558 (598 used maybe), KSC75, Audio Technica AD900(if you search around.). Probably more can't think of them off the top of my head.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #4,196 of 48,562

Quote:
The Beyer (DT 990 pro that is) are 199 on amazon.com!

I hear that the Creative aurvana live are pretty good too, especially considering their relatively low price.

I have the pros and they are fantastic. What is with the insane pricing on Amazon lately I am usually very jealous of your prices.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #4,198 of 48,562

Quote:
I know I would but that is just me and I love a nice big soundstage. If you want to here every little tiny detail in your music I hear the 840 is a fantastic can. For gaming and music i would have to say nope but that is just from reading and looking around. :)

ok how does the detail not carry over from music to games? 

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #4,199 of 48,562

Quote:
But they would need an amp for which i have no money left....
Also the 32 ohm's version is not available on amazon....

I will get an amp (Fiio E6 for the moment, E17 when available) for the 990 pro, but at least for my TV there is no need to buy one if you don´t have the money right now. Why actually is it that the Beyer need an amp and other don´t??? Maybe someone can comment on that. Would be interesting.

What about the CAL then? They are very budget friendly.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #4,200 of 48,562

Quote:
I will get an amp (Fiio E6 for the moment, E17 when available) for the 990 pro, but at least for my TV there is no need to buy one if you don´t have the money right now. Why actually is it that the Beyer need an amp and other don´t??? Maybe someone can comment on that. Would be interesting.

What about the CAL then? They are very budget friendly.

It's really hard to go for the CAL's when you have beyerdynamic headphones in your range but oh well....
By the way , what about the Ultrasone Hfi 780/580 ?

Edit:
Does anyone know how much ohms of headphones can the Sony NW-HD5 drive ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back