Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 17, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #39,856 of 48,562
Good isolation, hardest headphone to drive that I've ever had at home (More challenging than the 600 Ω DT 880, this headphone cries for a fairly strong amp), thin pads that depress and you can feel the hard cup plastic after only a few hours, but the driver has a lot of potential and those willing to put it into a better enclosure get a sound that punches well above the original. The Mark III improved on the comfort, so you might get away with it, but I still recommend an amp.

What AMP would you recommend for them?

Mar 17, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #39,857 of 48,562
I was also thinking about doing a weekly Twitch stream (to begin with) where in a schedule, I can stream whatever game but be there to answer all your questions, play with you guys, etc.

Of course I don't exactly have a web camera so I'll have to look into stuff like that too. Be it one viewer or 100. In any case I need a web camera for youtube anyways.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #39,858 of 48,562
Guys, I've updated my sign with a bunch of new links, as to where to find me on all forms of social media. The stuff we talked about is all in there like twitter and facebook. Please check them out for all the updates.

The next thing coming up for the guide is the Beyerdynamic MMX300 review which will be linked from headphone.guru like some of my older reviews. It will still be put up on the guide here.

I spent all night doing my sites, so now it's bedtime, lol.

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #39,859 of 48,562
Guys, I've updated my sign with a bunch of new links, as to where to find me on all forms of social media. The stuff we talked about is all in there like twitter and facebook. Please check them out for all the updates.

The next thing coming up for the guide is the Beyerdynamic MMX300 review which will be linked from headphone.guru like some of my older reviews. It will still be put up on the guide here.

I spent all night doing my sites, so now it's bedtime, lol.
Ha! First pledge. Now we need to get everybody else hooked up.

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #39,861 of 48,562
Hello, can anyone tell me what the best Virual surround device? For optimal use of price-quality? astro 2013 year its hard to find, any else?
whats the best for it and not cost so much?
Smyth Realizer paired with Sennheiser HE-1

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #39,862 of 48,562
The full fledged surround only works out of a usb. If your source can output 7.1 through usb, like PC, then yes you'll get the full 3d audio. Otherwise you'll get a 3d audio for stereo, where you'll be missing the 360 degree sound cues. Think of that being like you sitting in a room with just two speakers in front of you. That's what aux cord and Bluetooth sound with 3d turned on.

You CAN get true virtual surround out of aux IF it's connected to a virtual surround device like a Mixamp, as that can carry the surround to anything connected after. If you truly want virtual surround to Bluetooth, you'll have to buy one if those 3.5mm to Bluetooth transmitters, which don't sound great.

Hello MLE , help please

In my city i have 3 options
1)Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D
2)Tritton AX 720
3)Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS2 ( ONLY DSS2 version not 1)

I have got PS4 and akg k712pro and a few inearheadphones. Want to use Virtual Dolby headphone 5.1 in my AKG when playing PS4
What will be the best of this 3 to my goals?
Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #39,863 of 48,562
Do you know what your twitch handle would be? I have it on now and then, and would love to follow you in advance, so when you are online, I will just see it.

Don't really use any of those other social media tbh.

You already have a youtube right?

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #39,864 of 48,562
My Twitch handle is MadLustEnvy no spaces. I probably should fix that. I'm MadLustEnvy literally everywhere, but add Official (madlustenvyofficial) at the end on Facebook. The regular MadLustEnvy on fb is my personal account, lol.

Rozzko, look into a Creative X7. It's a fantastic device.

As of 2018 I don't know what your best options are as i haven't been into new sound devices in years. Hopefully something I'll also fix in the future. Expansion into more game devices that aren't outdated.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #39,865 of 48,562
A while ago I bought Q701 based on the recommendations in the thread. Thanks a lot @Mad Lust Envy !

I have a questions now - would HD800 / HD800s be a noticeable upgrade from Q701 in terms of gaming?

I am using Creative Omni as a sound card, don't really listen to music on headphones (I have speakers for that), so HD800 would be for gaming. Price considerations aside - would there be any noticeable difference? I really just want more immersion + same wide soundstage and location pinpointing as with Q701.. Maybe there are better headphones for that than HD800? I can't do Stax though :D

Thank you

Mar 19, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #39,866 of 48,562
A while ago I bought Q701 based on the recommendations in the thread. Thanks a lot @Mad Lust Envy !

I have a questions now - would HD800 / HD800s be a noticeable upgrade from Q701 in terms of gaming?

I am using Creative Omni as a sound card, don't really listen to music on headphones (I have speakers for that), so HD800 would be for gaming. Price considerations aside - would there be any noticeable difference? I really just want more immersion + same wide soundstage and location pinpointing as with Q701.. Maybe there are better headphones for that than HD800? I can't do Stax though :D

Thank you
I'm hoping to get a chance to listen to the HD800 in some form for review. Perhaps some *cough*Sennheiser reps*cough* can hook up me with lending me the HD800 for reviewing. Though if for inexplicable reason, I don't like them, they can opt out of me reviewing them, and I'll just let you guyys know I wasn't feeling them. I have no doubt this won't be the case however. From everything I've read and heard about them, they should be the next logical upgrade/end game for people who loved the Q701/K702, etc.

What I'd like from Sennheiser for reviewing, though I really need to get other company products as well, as Sennheiser has a lot on my guide, lol.

HD800
HD800S
HD820? (whatever it's called)
GSX surround devices
GSP 500/600

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #39,867 of 48,562
My Twitch handle is MadLustEnvy no spaces. I probably should fix that. I'm MadLustEnvy literally everywhere, but add Official (madlustenvyofficial) at the end on Facebook. The regular MadLustEnvy on fb is my personal account, lol.

Rozzko, look into a Creative X7. It's a fantastic device.

As of 2018 I don't know what your best options are as i haven't been into new sound devices in years. Hopefully something I'll also fix in the future. Expansion into more game devices that aren't outdated.
Thank you , but it's too expensive for my goals.
On that price I can buy good dac+amp. A read that it's not too good for this price.may be something cheaper with Dolby headphone technology?

But in another thread I read opinion that good headphones with amp is better than virtual sound, because sometimes it's make it unnaturally.
This post:

""The first thing a gamer with an audiophile headphone is going to tell you is not to use VSS software like Dolby or Windows Sonic or etc. Especially not with an open back headphone with a huge soundstage and great imaging like the K702. I have an AKG K712 Pro and I have experimented with lots of forms of VSS and NONE of them beat simple Stereo mode. When gaming competitively I can hear everything going on all around me, exactly where things are coming from and exactly how far they are from me all in Stereo mode, it's far superior to VSS for me since VSS just affects sound quality WAY too much by adding unrealistic amounts of reverb making things sound too distant and tinny.

Therefore If I were you I would personally not use an Astro Mixamp and get something like an O2+ODAC or a Schiit Stack or whichever is cheaper and stick with Stereo ONLY and it's all happy sailing from there.

A DAC is required for VSS software to work. If you absolutely want to keep Dolby headphone/VSS then you might want to use the Astro Mixamp as a DAC alone and output that to the Objective2 Amp which will power your headphones with ease. This way you can still use Dolby VSS (which comes from the Mixamp) and power your headphones easily with the Objective""

What you are thinking about it?

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #39,868 of 48,562
@Yethal I got you fam. I sent you a message over there. :wink:

@Rozzko,

That's because those kinds of people are audio purists who hate anythingg that makes headphones not sound like headphones. I take their opinions with a grain of bittering agent powder. As in I don't really care for that opinion whatsoever. These are people who heard VSS once, and thought "It sounds way too different from what I'm used to, so it sucks."

A good virtual surround solution gives the most natural sense of ACTUAL positional cues, that stereo can NEVER ever match. Stereo does not have any frontal/rear positional accuracy. All you get is a line between your head that sounds different if something is either in front of behind you. Virtual surround actually PLACES sounds in front or behind you, where you don't have to take a second to wonder if the sound is is 'front' sound, or 'rear' sound. Again, look at the first page for some examples.

It's like NOT listening to headphones anymore, but speakers placed all around you. This is what these purists don't get. They expect a headphone sound to sound like a headphone. It doesn't.

The Creative X7 is a solid dac/amp in its own right. Even without the virtual surround, it's a fantastic dac/amp, so I dunno what the complaint is there. I'd take it over any typical dac+amp in the price range any day of the week.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #39,869 of 48,562
That's because those kinds of people are audio purists who hate anythingg that makes headphones not sound like headphones. I take their opinions with a grain of bittering agent powder. As in I don't really care for that opinion whatsoever. These are people who heard VSS once, and thought "It sounds way too different from what I'm used to, so it sucks."

A good virtual surround solution gives the most natural sense of ACTUAL positional cues, that stereo can NEVER ever match. Stereo does not have any frontal/rear positional accuracy. All you get is a line between your head that sounds different if something is either in front of behind you. Virtual surround actually PLACES sounds in front or behind you, where you don't have to take a second to wonder if the sound is is 'front' sound, or 'rear' sound. Again, look at the first page for some examples.

It's like NOT listening to headphones anymore, but speakers placed all around you. This is what these purists don't get. They expect a headphone sound to sound like a headphone. It doesn't.

The Creative X7 is a solid dac/amp in its own right. Even without the virtual surround, it's a fantastic dac/amp, so I dunno what the complaint is there. I'd take it over any typical dac+amp in the price range any day of the week.
Thanks.
And what you suggest will be better?
1)Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D
2)Tritton AX 720

I my city I have got only these. And want to try 3d virtual surround sound. May be now it's some new cool Dolby devices, but I tried to find them and zero results. Only devices thats in your first page

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #39,870 of 48,562
The Tritton AX720 has a cable that breaks away and reveals 3.5mm input for use with other headphones (at least the ones I've tested years ago). That will give you Dolby Headphone. I prefer that over the Recond3D's virtual surround. AGain, make sure you are WELL aware that virtual surround changes sound quality, and will make headphones not sound like headphones. If you've listened to the videos on the first page and thought they sounded good, they go ahead and give the AX720 a try.

You must make sure the device you get is being fed a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. DTS or PCM will NOT work for proper virtual surround.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back