Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 15, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #39,826 of 48,565
The full fledged surround only works out of a usb. If your source can output 7.1 through usb, like PC, then yes you'll get the full 3d audio. Otherwise you'll get a 3d audio for stereo, where you'll be missing the 360 degree sound cues. Think of that being like you sitting in a room with just two speakers in front of you. That's what aux cord and Bluetooth sound with 3d turned on.

You CAN get true virtual surround out of aux IF it's connected to a virtual surround device like a Mixamp, as that can carry the surround to anything connected after. If you truly want virtual surround to Bluetooth, you'll have to buy one if those 3.5mm to Bluetooth transmitters, which don't sound great.

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #39,827 of 48,565
The full fledged surround only works out of a usb. If your source can output 7.1 through usb, like PC, then yes you'll get the full 3d audio. Otherwise you'll get a 3d audio for stereo, where you'll be missing the 360 degree sound cues. Think of that being like you sitting in a room with just two speakers in front of you. That's what aux cord and Bluetooth sound with 3d turned on.

You CAN get true virtual surround out of aux IF it's connected to a virtual surround device like a Mixamp, as that can carry the surround to anything connected after. If you truly want virtual surround to Bluetooth, you'll have to buy one if those 3.5mm to Bluetooth transmitters, which don't sound great.

So, if I'm looking for a lot of gaming, but mostly casual gaming, on the PC, XB1 and PS4, and I've already preordered one of these at the $249 level, and just want a good headset that sounds great and is easy to use (currently using a Hyper-X Cloud 2), and love the planar sound (HE-400 being my favorite headphones), would you recommend keeping my order? The 7.1 stuff sounds really cool and I'd definitely try that with things like PUBG and the like when I'm sitting at my computer, but for general gaming and easily bluetooth listening, given what I've said about my use case, do you think I've made a good purchase in the Mobius? I respect your opinion a whole lot.

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #39,829 of 48,565
Hey MLE, in your Mobius impressions, you said that "the reverb is kept to a minimum, so it doesn't sound overly artificial like some other virtual surround DSPs like Dolby Headphone".
Now, having only tried some free surround virtualisation and none from Dolby, Creative etc., I found the effect very boomy/wrong. I take it that this is the limitations of the crappy free solutions and that the Mobius's implementation sounds much better than that?

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #39,830 of 48,565
While I can't say as we haven't experienced the same stuff, a decent virtual surround shouldn't have a boomines ot anything. At worst you should only marginally have some 'ropcessed' type sound that isn't found in basic stereo, but is expected. I recommend you try to listen to some of the demos on the first page. They may be outdated but give you a sort of idea. The Mobius 3D audio still has a processed sound by the nature of it actually being processed, but it's really a non-issue if you keep expectations of virtual surround realistic.

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #39,831 of 48,565
Guys, so I have something I wanna get off my chest, and I feel perhaps maybe you guys may wanna know.

No sob stories or anything, but just more about me and the reality of life.

As you know, I don't make money out of any of this hobby (outside the few hundred I've gotten from the headphone.guru reviews). . I'm a man who makes just over $300 a week from my real job ($10.00 an hour). As you know, this ain't a living wage. I'm not happy. I'm stressed out daily from financial responsibilities (like most of us Americans are). I currently live back with family as I can't feasibly afford my own housing.

I do think, and have been told by some of you, that I can build something for myself here. My end goal would be being able to do what I do here full time, quit my job, and expand into perhaps my own website (which would still be forever linked to this guide and forum for the daily), but like my guru freelance reviews, would post the meat of reviews there (on my site), as well as much more, like sponsors, advertising, giveaways, trips to audio meets, conventions, etc. etc. You know like a successful website/person with credibility.

A business venture where I have a working relationship with manufacturers where I can review their stuff as I do now (reviews would be unpaid by companies as they have always been), but also have stuff that can be sponsored like any good site, etc. Expansion by means of (later) having the funds/means to do legitimate video reviews, perhaps weekly hangouts on Twitch with my supporters, playing with them, answering questions, etc.

Now, right now this is all a dream, an idea. Something I need time to study and figure out.

Would some of you be willing to accept a gofundme, patreon type deal? As of right now, there are so many of you that tell me you guys bought products because of me, but I have never given thought about perhaps banking on those referrals with stuff like Amazon affiliate links and whatnot. Now, the gofunme or patreon stuff is still an idea as well, as I need to research how people go about doing those things, and what backers expect from who they are supporting. This would NOT affect the current way I do things, so I'm not expecting or saying this is what would sustain my reviewing. The reviews will and always will be something I do on the side as personal hobby and because you guys want them from me. The Patreon/gofundme/funding by any means would be an act of charity and hopeful promise of a better future where I can be MORE than just that guy that reviews every half a year. You get my drift.

Again, nothing HERE would change if none of this pans out. I'm simply asking, and trying to see who is interested in helping a guy like me out.

I have a friend on the other side of the world who is great at graphic design/builds websites so I know I can count on him for some of those things. Most of the rest is entirely up to me.

Please guys, any feedback suggestions would be more than welcome. I want to make this into something to prove to myself I can, and to see that there are people who believe in me and the possibilities.

Mods, if this sounds like some shilling or against forum rules, I'll take it down. I just have no idea how to do much of anything about this, and I think I'm wasting years of my life doing nothing (which is absolutely true).

I'll likely write all this in better wording on the first post with an update, once I have gathered my thoughts and really dug into this idea. Right now it came upon me in passing with someone I speak to who keeps telling me I'm wasting so many opportunities with my name. I'm a realist and pessimist, so it's hard to find encouragement and step out of the comfort zone I have made for myself. But I wanna try. I really do.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #39,833 of 48,565
As I continue thinking about all this, I also wanna continue to improve each review, with stuff like audio recordings of microphone quality, images, and more. I want to make each review the best that I can possibly make them. I want to continue to strive for better and bigger things for not just myself but the community we;'ve built around this ridiculous thing that started off as a list for me to keep track of what I like and don't like. You guys made it what it is today, and can help make it bigger. I don't usually believe in many things, but I have a hope for the future.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #39,834 of 48,565
I recommend you try to listen to some of the demos on the first page. They may be outdated but give you a sort of idea.

Ah right, I forgot you had those. Relistening to them on my HD600, yes the directional audio becomes much better, but for example in the first video showing the Skyrim opening scene, when the effect is turned on, the wagon rumbling & ambient wind noise feel somewhat as if I'm holding a cup/seashell to my ears (not that extreme but similar).
Would the Mobius produce a similar effect?

Now regarding the venture you're looking into, I'm surprised you haven't had Amazon affiliate links yet. Given how many headphones you've probably helped sold (I got my HE-400 and eventually my HD600 partly thanks to you), you really should try to get a little kickback. Not sure if you know this, but you still get returns if someone who clicks on your link ends up buying something else on Amazon instead.
Also, any reason why you don't upload your many reviews onto your youtube channel? There are people who would prefer hearing rather than reading, and you can get some ad revenue & attention that way.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #39,835 of 48,565
Ah right, I forgot you had those. Relistening to them on my HD600, yes the directional audio becomes much better, but for example in the first video showing the Skyrim opening scene, when the effect is turned on, the wagon rumbling & ambient wind noise feel somewhat as if I'm holding a cup/seashell to my ears (not that extreme but similar).
Would the Mobius produce a similar effect?

Now regarding the venture you're looking into, I'm surprised you haven't had Amazon affiliate links yet. Given how many headphones you've probably helped sold (I got my HE-400 and eventually my HD600 partly thanks to you), you really should try to get a little kickback. Not sure if you know this, but you still get returns if someone who clicks on your link ends up buying something else on Amazon instead.
Also, any reason why you don't upload your many reviews onto your youtube channel? There are people who would prefer hearing rather than reading, and you can get some ad revenue & attention that way.
Shyness, lack of editing knowledge, and lack of equipment like a good microphone, lighting, camera, etc. My unboxings and whatnot were so amateur. I wanna do better. If I had the equipment and spent a little time with a good editing program, I definitely wanna move my youtube forward with a relaunch and whatnot. This is one thing I absolutely want to do. I want my name to grow.

I'm getting into the mindset into fully commiting to all this. I wanna know the feeling of doing something I love for a living, and being able to quit what I don't.

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #39,836 of 48,565
Shyness, lack of editing knowledge, and lack of equipment like a good microphone, lighting, camera, etc. My unboxings and whatnot were so amateur. I wanna do better. If I had the equipment and spent a little time with a good editing program, I definitely wanna move my youtube forward with a relaunch and whatnot. This is one thing I absolutely want to do. I want my name to grow.

I'm getting into the mindset into fully commiting to all this. I wanna know the feeling of doing something I love for a living, and being able to quit what I don't.

Perhaps go check out Rocket Jump Ninja on youtube and his website. Mainly a gaming mice channel, but has videos on other peripherals too. I really like his style.
Regardless of what you ultimately choose, I wish you all the best, and will keep an eye out for your content!

Btw, would appreciate it if you could answer the first part of my previous post!

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #39,837 of 48,565
The Mobius has way less of that. Dolby Headphone is generally the worst when it comes to that effect, which is what you were listening to. Mobius is more natural.

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #39,838 of 48,565
The Mobius has way less of that. Dolby Headphone is generally the worst when it comes to that effect, which is what you were listening to. Mobius is more natural.
Did you ever test the relative new Sennheiser GTX1000?

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #39,840 of 48,565
Hey MLE,

Very cool to hear you're seriously considering turning your passion for this hobby into your full time job. I don't have a lot of advice to give, but I'd recommend looking at the model Karak / Jeremy Penter of Angry Centaur Gaming (ACG) has set up for doing his in-depth game reviews. He buys each and every copy of the games he reviews (which I understand would be a lot harder to do with headphones) and he has a Patreon setup where the money donated by his followers is used to help purchase those titles and also go towards the occasional giveaways he does and such. He's definitely about showing transparency in his reviews by mentioning at the beginning of each one that he's not just gonna fill up the review with sponsored bs to ensure folks understand it's his own likes and dislikes that he's sharing.

I think you have a built-in audience already and your review style is already readily apparent to be honest and not "bought" in any way, so I think you definitely have a good shot at being successful with this.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back