Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 16, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #39,841 of 48,562
Guys, so I have something I wanna get off my chest, and I feel perhaps maybe you guys may wanna know.

No sob stories or anything, but just more about me and the reality of life.

As you know, I don't make money out of any of this hobby (outside the few hundred I've gotten from the headphone.guru reviews). . I'm a man who makes just over $300 a week from my real job ($10.00 an hour). As you know, this ain't a living wage. I'm not happy. I'm stressed out daily from financial responsibilities (like most of us Americans are). I currently live back with family as I can't feasibly afford my own housing.

I do think, and have been told by some of you, that I can build something for myself here. My end goal would be being able to do what I do here full time, quit my job, and expand into perhaps my own website (which would still be forever linked to this guide and forum for the daily), but like my guru freelance reviews, would post the meat of reviews there (on my site), as well as much more, like sponsors, advertising, giveaways, trips to audio meets, conventions, etc. etc. You know like a successful website/person with credibility.

A business venture where I have a working relationship with manufacturers where I can review their stuff as I do now (reviews would be unpaid by companies as they have always been), but also have stuff that can be sponsored like any good site, etc. Expansion by means of (later) having the funds/means to do legitimate video reviews, perhaps weekly hangouts on Twitch with my supporters, playing with them, answering questions, etc.

Now, right now this is all a dream, an idea. Something I need time to study and figure out.

Would some of you be willing to accept a gofundme, patreon type deal? As of right now, there are so many of you that tell me you guys bought products because of me, but I have never given thought about perhaps banking on those referrals with stuff like Amazon affiliate links and whatnot. Now, the gofunme or patreon stuff is still an idea as well, as I need to research how people go about doing those things, and what backers expect from who they are supporting. This would NOT affect the current way I do things, so I'm not expecting or saying this is what would sustain my reviewing. The reviews will and always will be something I do on the side as personal hobby and because you guys want them from me. The Patreon/gofundme/funding by any means would be an act of charity and hopeful promise of a better future where I can be MORE than just that guy that reviews every half a year. You get my drift.

Again, nothing HERE would change if none of this pans out. I'm simply asking, and trying to see who is interested in helping a guy like me out.

I have a friend on the other side of the world who is great at graphic design/builds websites so I know I can count on him for some of those things. Most of the rest is entirely up to me.

Please guys, any feedback suggestions would be more than welcome. I want to make this into something to prove to myself I can, and to see that there are people who believe in me and the possibilities.

Mods, if this sounds like some shilling or against forum rules, I'll take it down. I just have no idea how to do much of anything about this, and I think I'm wasting years of my life doing nothing (which is absolutely true).

I'll likely write all this in better wording on the first post with an update, once I have gathered my thoughts and really dug into this idea. Right now it came upon me in passing with someone I speak to who keeps telling me I'm wasting so many opportunities with my name. I'm a realist and pessimist, so it's hard to find encouragement and step out of the comfort zone I have made for myself. But I wanna try. I really do.

MLE, thanks for sharing. I'm more of a passive reader in this community but I would like to give you my 2 cents.

Like other people have suggested, YouTube is one way to go. I see you have a channel and that you have 683 subscribers. That's impressive considering your last headphone video was uploaded 3 years ago. If you keep uploading content the number will grow a lot. You mentioned not having good equipment to record the videos, but check out "Z Reviews" channel. He records in POV fashion and just talks about headphones and reviews stuff. Not sure what's his camera but seems fine, nothing fancy there. I think audiophiles trust honesty more than flashy videos. You already have a community that LOVES your work and if you start migrating content to YouTube, your channel could exponentially grow.

If you need to purchase equipment, start a gofundme and patreon campaign. I'd state what equipment you need to buy and how much it costs. I've seen people backing projects if they have a clear understanding of where their money is going vs just sending money your way. For Patreons, you could have a list of the videos you plan to do monthly or in the future (i.e best gaming headphones below $100, then $300, etc.). Again, I'm not an expert here, just my opinion.

For reviews purposes, people can send you their cans. Even donate some equipment to improve the video quality.

Definitely update all links and include your own Amazon affiliate code. Worst case, you get nothing out of there but I'm sure people have bought tons of headphones clicking your links.

Keep up the good work, we'll have your back whatever direction you want to go.

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #39,842 of 48,562
Guys, so I have something I wanna get off my chest, and I feel perhaps maybe you guys may wanna know.

No sob stories or anything, but just more about me and the reality of life.

As you know, I don't make money out of any of this hobby (outside the few hundred I've gotten from the headphone.guru reviews). . I'm a man who makes just over $300 a week from my real job ($10.00 an hour). As you know, this ain't a living wage. I'm not happy. I'm stressed out daily from financial responsibilities (like most of us Americans are). I currently live back with family as I can't feasibly afford my own housing.

I do think, and have been told by some of you, that I can build something for myself here. My end goal would be being able to do what I do here full time, quit my job, and expand into perhaps my own website (which would still be forever linked to this guide and forum for the daily), but like my guru freelance reviews, would post the meat of reviews there (on my site), as well as much more, like sponsors, advertising, giveaways, trips to audio meets, conventions, etc. etc. You know like a successful website/person with credibility.

A business venture where I have a working relationship with manufacturers where I can review their stuff as I do now (reviews would be unpaid by companies as they have always been), but also have stuff that can be sponsored like any good site, etc. Expansion by means of (later) having the funds/means to do legitimate video reviews, perhaps weekly hangouts on Twitch with my supporters, playing with them, answering questions, etc.

Now, right now this is all a dream, an idea. Something I need time to study and figure out.

Would some of you be willing to accept a gofundme, patreon type deal? As of right now, there are so many of you that tell me you guys bought products because of me, but I have never given thought about perhaps banking on those referrals with stuff like Amazon affiliate links and whatnot. Now, the gofunme or patreon stuff is still an idea as well, as I need to research how people go about doing those things, and what backers expect from who they are supporting. This would NOT affect the current way I do things, so I'm not expecting or saying this is what would sustain my reviewing. The reviews will and always will be something I do on the side as personal hobby and because you guys want them from me. The Patreon/gofundme/funding by any means would be an act of charity and hopeful promise of a better future where I can be MORE than just that guy that reviews every half a year. You get my drift.

Again, nothing HERE would change if none of this pans out. I'm simply asking, and trying to see who is interested in helping a guy like me out.

I have a friend on the other side of the world who is great at graphic design/builds websites so I know I can count on him for some of those things. Most of the rest is entirely up to me.

Please guys, any feedback suggestions would be more than welcome. I want to make this into something to prove to myself I can, and to see that there are people who believe in me and the possibilities.

Mods, if this sounds like some shilling or against forum rules, I'll take it down. I just have no idea how to do much of anything about this, and I think I'm wasting years of my life doing nothing (which is absolutely true).

I'll likely write all this in better wording on the first post with an update, once I have gathered my thoughts and really dug into this idea. Right now it came upon me in passing with someone I speak to who keeps telling me I'm wasting so many opportunities with my name. I'm a realist and pessimist, so it's hard to find encouragement and step out of the comfort zone I have made for myself. But I wanna try. I really do.
If you set up Patreon I'll be first to subscribe. My entire audio journey started from this thread. I wouldn't be into audio if it wasn't for you man.
Also, if I were you I'd try teaming up with Currawong and Brooko they have their own website and everything.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #39,843 of 48,562
I currently game using the Sound Blaster G5 with K7XX. I think it drives the headphones great, but the surround, IMO, is good but not great. I've messed around with a lot of settings and feel what I have is the best I could come up with. Maybe it's the headphones? I also have the PC37X, but don't use it much, so I can't recall how satisfied or dissatisfied I've been with the surround output (with the G5). I primarily play PUBG, so positional sound is super important. I'm thinking about picking up the GSX 1000, or maybe the Mobius, but don't feel like waiting for the Mobius.

Can anyone who's had the G5 and the GSX care to share a comparison specifically re: surround?

Mar 16, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #39,844 of 48,562
While all of this is at an infancy first, I'll spend my next day off doing a lot in what plans to have for all of this like, videos as in recommendations for price ranges, closed backs, open backs, immersive, competitive, etc.

All your recommendations are welcome. I'm also gonna be hopefully adding stuff like recorded samples of microphone quality for headsets, etc. I wanna make sure you guys are happy, and that we can continue growing. Also more consistency in terms of one or two reviews per month, maybe adding quickies of stuff that may not be worth full reviews but I might recommend for music and whatnot (in case I don't find certain products up to my level of standards for reviewing). AS for number of reviews per month, I really think one every few weeks is ideal over more, because, while I can do a very quick review turn around (like I did for the Stax SR-407 which was done essentially in 3 days from first listen to posted review), I feel products deserve some time for adjustment periods.

Was also thinking of adding categorical awards, like:

Mad: An award for products has gone under the radar and deserves recognition (value products). Mad we didn't know about it sooner.

Lust: An award for products that fall in our audiophile level quality with a generally feasible price range that audiophiles should lust after (usually those of a few hundred dollar ranges, like mid-fi).

Envy: An award for products worth envying those who have it, and usually consist of higher tier products that general audiophiles may not be able to afford (obvious higher end gear, like my reviews of the Ether C, Fostex TH-900, etc.) Basically the unobtanium products that only a few of us will spend money getting. Perhaps like a future review of things like the HD800, LCD-X level type stuff.

It can or MAYBE be about upcoming products instead. I'm undecided.

What do you guys think? I'm totally over my name and would like just using my name instead or something, but I know it's my brand and I don't wanna cause confusion as to who I am, so I wanna incorporate MLE in a natural way that makes sense.

Trust me guys, I have some ideas at least for a potential website and content.

I'll be here on Monday (my weekend lol) writing a lot of these suggestions and recommendations down.

I'm not allowed to link to my (currently non-existent) Patreon here, so I'll just let you guys know when all that is ready in some other manner.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #39,846 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy
Do it man! I’ve always said to myself “ Man if he had a YouTube video for each of these reviews he’d have a stack of cash!”
And if he released them two weeks early for Patreon supporters and had regular schedule.
@Mad Lust Envy There's also all kinds of "will x pair up great with y" or "how to use device z to its full potential" questions that either go unanswered or require deep digging through this thread. A youTube channel would seriously help all those people.

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #39,847 of 48,562
And if he released them two weeks early for Patreon supporters and had regular schedule.
@Mad Lust Envy There's also all kinds of "will x pair up great with y" or "how to use device z to its full potential" questions that either go unanswered or require deep digging through this thread. A youTube channel would seriously help all those people.

I second this. Videos on how to properly setup an X7, Mixamp, GSX, etc. and what settings work best for music, games or movies I think would help a lot of people. The diagrams in the first post are great, but nothing beats seeing how it's done in a well done video. Over the years I've used this thread as home base for any of my gaming audio related needs, and I'm sure many treat it as an invaluable resource as well. A full fledged YouTube channel based on this thread would be excellent.

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #39,850 of 48,562
I currently game using the Sound Blaster G5 with K7XX. I think it drives the headphones great, but the surround, IMO, is good but not great. I've messed around with a lot of settings and feel what I have is the best I could come up with. Maybe it's the headphones? I also have the PC37X, but don't use it much, so I can't recall how satisfied or dissatisfied I've been with the surround output (with the G5). I primarily play PUBG, so positional sound is super important. I'm thinking about picking up the GSX 1000, or maybe the Mobius, but don't feel like waiting for the Mobius.

Can anyone who's had the G5 and the GSX care to share a comparison specifically re: surround?

I too am requesting someone who has had both to try their best to give us some direction. I'm coming from the outside and believe the G5 looks pretty good because I want that line out functionality to feed into external amps.

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #39,851 of 48,562
Has MLE or anyone tried HeSuVi? https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/

Apparently it is capable of imitating the virtualisation of various options out there like Dolby Atmos Headphone, Sennheiser GSX etc.
Took a while to set up and get rid of static but once that's done, it seems to work for me. However, having barely any past experience with virtual surround, I would like someone to compare that to the "real" solution if possible.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #39,852 of 48,562
Has MLE or anyone tried HeSuVi? https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/

Apparently it is capable of imitating the virtualisation of various options out there like Dolby Atmos Headphone, Sennheiser GSX etc.
Took a while to set up and get rid of static but once that's done, it seems to work for me. However, having barely any past experience with virtual surround, I would like someone to compare that to the "real" solution if possible.
@Fegefeuer has, and gave me the info. I'll be testing it out hopefully Monday. The MMX300 came in so I gotta start working on that headset for headphone.guru.

This HeSuVi sounds ideal for testing. Though something about it reminds me of the Out Of Your Head software that also worked incredibly well. I would've definitely gone in depth with that had I not owned a virtual surround device.

Mar 17, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #39,853 of 48,562
@Fegefeuer has, and gave me the info. I'll be testing it out hopefully Monday. The MMX300 came in so I gotta start working on that headset for headphone.guru.

This HeSuVi sounds ideal for testing. Though something about it reminds me of the Out Of Your Head software that also worked incredibly well. I would've definitely gone in depth with that had I not owned a virtual surround device.

Thanks @Fegefeuer for the hint. I think it is a must to try this out, but it seems to be very a time consuming endeavor. Means, I dunno when I can do it.

Mar 17, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #39,854 of 48,562

No worries, take your time. Speaking of Out Of Your Head, it's one of the options available in HeSuVi too. I personally would like to spend more time trying it out in various games but unfortunately assignment deadlines loom :frowning2:

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #39,855 of 48,562
Installation of HeSuVi and EQ APO is actually very easy and fast, it doesn't even require a reboot. You can reboot the audio subsystem of windows via a single-click.

All you need to make sure is having a 7.1 device and turning off its VST and anything similar. Everything else is so easily done.

Some filters are unusable because they have additional reverb (like DHP-3 but most of you know that), but other than that there are even DHP and SBX filters with normal/standard profiles and even a few with lesser reverb. Sennheiser GSX profile does have some anomalies in my setup where the panning doesn't work properly. The "_alt" profiles of it are not recommended at all.

SBX 7.1, DHT/DHP and a few others work suprisingly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back