Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 17, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #39,091 of 48,566
I would look at the Sennheiser/Massdrop PC37X, which is $120 and dropping for the next 5 hours on Massdrop (So act FAST). It is 116db/MW, so it can be driven by anything. It has a fun sound and good soundstage for gaming and detecting where things are happening. They are comfortable for long gaming sessions, and the included mic is above average (a bonus really). These are what I recommend for people who don't want or need an amp. A phone can drive these to ear bleeding levels.

You could always add an amp like the Schiit Magni 2 ($99) or the intriguing Massdrop/Cavalli hybrid tube amp, that is currently dropping for $250. Reviews I have read so far are extremely positive. Then you can order any headphone you like except the extreme power hungry headphones like the HE6.
I believe PC37X has the same pad shape with HD598, which I tried and it wasn't for me. The shape is too vertically long, for me. It reaches to my jawbone, and that was uncomfortable. I also did try the Beyer DT880/990, and I really love their velour pads, and prefer their more circular pad shape.
Btw, PC37X will always come back to Massdrop. I've seen them times and times over

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #39,092 of 48,566
I believe PC37X has the same pad shape with HD598, which I tried and it wasn't for me. The shape is too vertically long, for me. It reaches to my jawbone, and that was uncomfortable. I also did try the Beyer DT880/990, and I really love their velour pads, and prefer their more circular pad shape.
Btw, PC37X will always come back to Massdrop. I've seen them times and times over

Yeah they drop all the time, but if you wanted something immediately, this would be the fastest you could get it.

You could try the lower ohm Beyerdynamic DT Series. In case you don't know, DT770 is closed, DT880 Semi closed, DT990 open. I have the DT990 and they are a fun headphone that is still very good at positional audio. The 32 ohm version is easier to drive, and hopefully loud enough for you through the GSX1000. If these are strictly for gaming, I can recommend the DT990 no problem. They're great for gaming.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #39,093 of 48,566
Yeah they drop all the time, but if you wanted something immediately, this would be the fastest you could get it.

You could try the lower ohm Beyerdynamic DT Series. In case you don't know, DT770 is closed, DT880 Semi closed, DT990 open. I have the DT990 and they are a fun headphone that is still very good at positional audio. The 32 ohm version is easier to drive, and hopefully loud enough for you through the GSX1000. If these are strictly for gaming, I can recommend the DT990 no problem. They're great for gaming.
yes these are strictly for gaming. I do know that they have 32 ohm version. In fact, these DTs are the first one I search for when I first knew about this thread several months ago. But, according to MLE, DT770 has bloated bass that will affect the detail; DT880 has problem with positional cues (which is extremely essential for me since I play FPS game). And then again DT990 seems like a good one but it's opened :frowning2:((( I ultimately have to comment on this thread asking for help because I really cannot find a headphone suitable to me :frowning2:

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #39,094 of 48,566
The Massdrop HE-4XX would be a solid choice for gaming without an amp.

My personal recommendation is the Sony MDR MA900. You can find them used for under $200. It's like a baby HD800 with an excellent sound stage. It's also hilariously easy to drive and super comfortable.

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #39,095 of 48,566
The Massdrop HE-4XX would be a solid choice for gaming without an amp.

My personal recommendation is the Sony MDR MA900. You can find them used for under $200. It's like a baby HD800 with an excellent sound stage. It's also hilariously easy to drive and super comfortable.
HE-4XX isn't even out yet, how do you know it would be a good choice for gaming?

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #39,096 of 48,566
Impressions from people I trust about sound quality plus planars excel at gaming. They do a better job of creating a 3D soundstage since you are in the center of it they create a more even 360 degree soundstage around you vs dynamic headphones which do better with 2D soundstage for music but things like front to back positional audio is harder to discern on dynamics. This is noticeable with stereo audio cues but especially true for Virtual surround processing.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #39,097 of 48,566
Impressions from people I trust about sound quality plus planars excel at gaming. They do a better job of creating a 3D soundstage since you are in the center of it they create a more even 360 degree soundstage around you vs dynamic headphones which do better with 2D soundstage for music but things like front to back positional audio is harder to discern on dynamics. This is noticeable with stereo audio cues but especially true for Virtual surround processing.
Thanks for very nice new knowledge. But it is open-back too :frowning2: The same story for MA900. I have to use air-con and fan constantly and they produce a noticeable noise so open-back is kinda impossible :frowning2:

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #39,098 of 48,566
I have AC on all the time, it's not that bad. I don't even listen that loud. You learn to tune it out. If you need closed headphones look for a EMU Walnut, Creative Aurvana Live (1st one, not the second gen that looks stupid), or maybe a used Mad Dog ( a very underated headphone).

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #39,099 of 48,566
HE-4XX isn't even out yet, how do you know it would be a good choice for gaming?

I have a 400i and it's pretty great. Better, in my humble opinion, than the 7XX (highly rated in MLE's guide), HD598, and DT770. Definitely my favorite gaming headphone under $250. The 4XX, if it is actually similar to the 400i, is a steal at $169.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #39,100 of 48,566
I have AC on all the time, it's not that bad. I don't even listen that loud. You learn to tune it out. If you need closed headphones look for a EMU Walnut, Creative Aurvana Live (1st one, not the second gen that looks stupid), or maybe a used Mad Dog ( a very underated headphone).
Thanks for pointing out CAL. I kinda skipped this since I saw its competitive score is only 7+. But after reading MLE's detailed review, I can see that CAL has good soundstage, good positional while being closed-back, and no amp needed too. Now if I can find velour pads to replace the stock pads then it will be perfect for me. Please send me the link if you happen to find ones. I'm searching for them now.
The other headphone that reaches closest to my requirements is Alpha Dog. It's closed, high competitive score, good comfort score, but it does need amp.
I will also study more about EMU Walnut. Thanks a lot for being very patient with me so far :D

I have a 400i and it's pretty great. Better, in my humble opinion, than the 7XX (highly rated in MLE's guide), HD598, and DT770. Definitely my favorite gaming headphone under $250. The 4XX, if it is actually similar to the 400i, is a steal at $169.
I actually do found the hybird pad of 4XX very appealing. The part touching the ears is velour, which is great. The surrounding part seems to be leather, which I believe can block more sound. But I'm still afraid that the opened design will let too much external sound in (air-con and fan noise in my case)

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #39,101 of 48,566
Aug 18, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #39,103 of 48,566
I'm not 100% sure. I would ask around to see if anyone can confirm. I just google replacement velour pads for Creative Aurvana Live or CAL and that was an option that came up. They do seem pretty similar in size, and you might be able to look up the stock pad sizes to confirm.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #39,104 of 48,566
I'm not 100% sure. I would ask around to see if anyone can confirm. I just google replacement velour pads for Creative Aurvana Live or CAL and that was an option that came up. They do seem pretty similar in size, and you might be able to look up the stock pad sizes to confirm.
my search come back with a very straight away result :D http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-Velour...reative-Aurvana-Live-Headphones-/251937730956
I guess my search/watch is finally ended (IYKWIM :p) Thanks a lot again, I'm really indebted :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back