Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #39,078 of 48,562
Holy cow, he lives!

You should remedy that. I could send you a headphone if you want to review something, I know a guy. :wink:
I know a guy who knows a guy. I see Evs has Sennheiser as a sponsor. ARE PEOPLE MOVING UP WITHOUT ME? :p

My focus for like the past year and a half have been on the PC tech side of things, and I have YET to build one. Talk about stagnating. I'm close.... so close to building one probably in the next two years, lol.

I've thought about stuff like the Corsair Void Wireless headset. But dunno how it would work on the PS4.

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #39,079 of 48,562
I know a guy who knows a guy. I see Evs has Sennheiser as a sponsor. ARE PEOPLE MOVING UP WITHOUT ME? :p
You abandoned us. You're like @chicolom, moving on to other things and leaving us behind.
My focus for like the past year and a half have been on the PC tech side of things, and I have YET to build one. Talk about stagnating. I'm close.... so close to building one probably in the next two years, lol.
Join me on the wonderful PC side of things!
But dunno how it would work on the PS4.
Time to get yet another Mixamp 5.8 Wireless.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #39,080 of 48,562
Yes I just want it for gaming. Not sure how many games have Dolby Atmos. I know Overwatch does but can't think of any others

Not much yet, same with movies but they're coming eventually.

Atmos isn't the only format the Realiser does, it does every format up to Atmos and is prepared for the future with 16 channels and firmware updates.

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #39,081 of 48,562
Hi guys, i am using the AKG K712 Pro + Magni 2 + Mixamp Pro TR + Boom Pro Mic. Now, my question is if anyone has the same setup as me and hoping you can share your eq preset for gaming. I looked through this thread looking for an eq preset that would apply to any audiophile headphones but no luck.

I use the 'natural bass' preset but it tends to feel not natural haha. Specially when i play BF1 the guns sound like throwing cans against a wall. This is how this preset looks:
80 Hz, 0 dB
450 Hz, 0dB, Q 1.0
1000 Hz, 0dB, Q 1.0
3700 Hz, 0 dB, Q 1.0
6330 Hz, 0 dB

Then, i started using this when i found this eq preset by metal571:
EQ Preset Preamp: -5.0 dB (Mixamp TR doesn't have this)
20 Hz, +5.0 dB
4000 Hz, +1.5, dB Q 3.0
6000 Hz, -6.5 dB, Q 2.0
11000 Hz, -7.0 dB, Q 2.0
13000 Hz, +3.5 dB

This eq preset sounds accurate with tight bass. Need to test this more since i found it yesterday.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #39,082 of 48,562
Just asking for the hell of it at this point, I think I'm (sadly) at the end of the road on this one.

As far as closed back headphones go, is there anything much for clinical sound-whoring that beats the AKG K550 by a meaningful amount? I could go with the K553 massdrop for small improvements but.. it's the same headphone essentially with some tweaks.
I was considering HD598CS for a while but... seems these are at best a sidegrade? Anyone tried both or able to throw me a random suggestion?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #39,083 of 48,562
Just asking for the hell of it at this point, I think I'm (sadly) at the end of the road on this one.

As far as closed back headphones go, is there anything much for clinical sound-whoring that beats the AKG K550 by a meaningful amount? I could go with the K553 massdrop for small improvements but.. it's the same headphone essentially with some tweaks.
I was considering HD598CS for a while but... seems these are at best a sidegrade? Anyone tried both or able to throw me a random suggestion?

You could look at the Mr Speakers Aeon thread. I am sure there would be a few people who are gamers and can comment on how it is. They are $799, and many consider them to be the best closed headphone available (price/performance.factored in). I have read a few reviews where the Aeon is so close to the Ether Flow C, that they recommend to save your money and go with the Aeon. You could also check out the Audeze LCD-XC, but that is a much more expensive headphone ($1,799 I think).

Closed headphones are tough, as there aren't many high end models available. If I was to go with a closed back, it would be the Aeon. Thankfully I don't have to worry about sound leaking, so I am strictly open back for gaming and movies.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #39,084 of 48,562
So i got the AD 700X plugged into the GSX 1000 and i cant shake the feeling that i just have better positional accuracy with just the stereo mode on, does anyone have any advice how should i set up the EQ settings on my GSX for best positional accuracy? Also the game is PUBG so i realize its not really the best game for 7.1 surround. Also im looking for good fun gaming headphones which are easy to drive with my GSX (AD700x is my competitve heapdhones) i heard Phillips Fidellio X2 are good but im open to suggestions i dont need positional accuracy im looking for straight fun i got the AD700x for accuracy :D

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #39,085 of 48,562
So i got the AD 700X plugged into the GSX 1000 and i cant shake the feeling that i just have better positional accuracy with just the stereo mode on, does anyone have any advice how should i set up the EQ settings on my GSX for best positional accuracy? Also the game is PUBG so i realize its not really the best game for 7.1 surround. Also im looking for good fun gaming headphones which are easy to drive with my GSX (AD700x is my competitve heapdhones) i heard Phillips Fidellio X2 are good but im open to suggestions i dont need positional accuracy im looking for straight fun i got the AD700x for accuracy :D

What is your price range for "fun" headphones? I don't know much about Sennheiser's VSS. Not sure how much power it has to drive certain headphones.

Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 is a great option for fun headphones, that still have a decent sound field. Tons of bass and clarity. ($400-$500 depending on wood cup). I have the $500 Ebony's.

Beyerdynamic DT990 have a very V shaped sound. I don't mind the highs with gaming, but they can bother me with some music. I have the DT990 SE 250 ohm version ($130).

I love my Monoprice M1060, but I modded them with Audeze Vegan pads which are now extremely difficult to find. I've heard the leather Audeze pads improve the M1060 a lot as well. A new mod, Fuzzer, involves felt with a glue on the back. You cut pieces to fit between the grill covering the driver (east side). I haven't done it yet, but the frequency response looks better than the Audeze LCD2 (M1060 isn't quite as revealing, but it's close). All in, about $380-400 for a 110mm planar driver. Has a great soundstage for gaming, and wonderful bass.

Those are 3 I own that I call "fun" headphones for gaming. I also have the Hifiman HE-X V2, which is a fun headphone with unreal soundstage and clarity. It isn't as bass heavy as the V Fostex or Monoprice, but it definitely digs deep. They're $1,300 new, and around $900-$950 used. These are great, all around headphones that are competitive and fun (hard combo to find).

The Fidelio X2 is another popular, fun headphone. I haven't heard them, but the write up on them is in the first post.

Hifiman HE560 is another option ($500+)

My only concern, is can the GSX1000 drive some of these headphones. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Best of luck. Check the for sale thread here as you can save some good money on headphones.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #39,086 of 48,562
The PC37X has just arrived. It's not what I expected - after a bit of limited testing, the bass is much more present than I was expecting. I don't know if these will be as good for soundwhoring as I'd hoped, I need to test (a lot) more. Very comfortable, as I expected.

Also im looking for good fun gaming headphones which are easy to drive with my GSX (AD700x is my competitve heapdhones) i heard Phillips Fidellio X2 are good but im open to suggestions i dont need positional accuracy im looking for straight fun i got the AD700x for accuracy :D
The X2 sound like the obvious choice, although I think these PC37X also seem to fit the fun category well.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #39,087 of 48,562
Hi guys,

I'm about to get the Custom Art Harmony 8.2 for my music listening. Someone told me that the H8.2 is a little congested therefore not suitable for gaming. Thus I figure to get a full-sized headphone just for FPS gaming. My requirements include high comfort (preferably velour pads), NOT reliant on amp (i.e. plug and play), and preferably closed-back or at least semi-open (since I live in a hot country and constant use of air-con and fan is a must). Does anyone have any suggestion? Thanks a lot

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #39,088 of 48,562
Hi guys,

I'm about to get the Custom Art Harmony 8.2 for my music listening. Someone told me that the H8.2 is a little congested therefore not suitable for gaming. Thus I figure to get a full-sized headphone just for FPS gaming. My requirements include high comfort (preferably velour pads), NOT reliant on amp (i.e. plug and play), and preferably closed-back or at least semi-open (since I live in a hot country and constant use of air-con and fan is a must). Does anyone have any suggestion? Thanks a lot

I HIGHLY recommend reading the first page. It took MLE years to put together, and much of it is relevant today (a few headphones have been discontinued).

Also need a budget and what type of sound you're looking for.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #39,089 of 48,562
I HIGHLY recommend reading the first page. It took MLE years to put together, and much of it is relevant today (a few headphones have been discontinued).

Also need a budget and what type of sound you're looking for.
I read the first page many times already. The ones that offer great comfort like Shure 1840, AKG 65th, AKG 712 seem great but they do need amp, and they are opened. AD700(x) is a plug and play but their comfort score is low, and it is opened. Alpha Dog seems great since it is closed, score well in comfort, but it also needs amp. I'm really screwed.
I will only use this headphone for FPS gaming so type of sound is not a concern.
Budget-wise, I think it should be less than 200$ since I'm about to spend 800$ on H8.2 already.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #39,090 of 48,562
I read the first page many times already. The ones that offer great comfort like Shure 1840, AKG 65th, AKG 712 seem great but they do need amp, and they are opened. AD700(x) is a plug and play but their comfort score is low, and it is opened. Alpha Dog seems great since it is closed, score well in comfort, but it also needs amp. I'm really screwed.
I will only use this headphone for FPS gaming so type of sound is not a concern.
Budget-wise, I think it should be less than 200$ since I'm about to spend 800$ on H8.2 already.

I would look at the Sennheiser/Massdrop PC37X, which is $120 and dropping for the next 5 hours on Massdrop (So act FAST). It is 116db/MW, so it can be driven by anything. It has a fun sound and good soundstage for gaming and detecting where things are happening. They are comfortable for long gaming sessions, and the included mic is above average (a bonus really). These are what I recommend for people who don't want or need an amp. A phone can drive these to ear bleeding levels.

You could always add an amp like the Schiit Magni 2 ($99) or the intriguing Massdrop/Cavalli hybrid tube amp, that is currently dropping for $250. Reviews I have read so far are extremely positive. Then you can order any headphone you like except the extreme power hungry headphones like the HE6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back