Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 11, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #38,191 of 48,583
Where can I find those?

There is the Ebony version on Massdrop right now but, a bit up there in price. Also, not open-back. I'm thinking of a pair, but not to take the place of open-back for competitive gaming.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #38,192 of 48,583
I wonder, since the Turtle Beach Elite Pro Audio Controller mixamp has an optical input and output, is it possible to use Magni and Modi in conjunction with the mixamp and a game console?

Like, you connect the console to the mixamp's optical input, Modi to the mixamp's optical output, and then Magni to Modi via RCA. And then headphones to Magni.

With Magni and the Astro mixamps, I assume you'll be able to mix the game and chat volume despite the headphones being connected to the Magni, so I reckon this also applies to the Turtle Beach mixamp...

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #38,193 of 48,583
  I wonder, since the Turtle Beach Elite Pro Audio Controller mixamp has an optical input and output, is it possible to use Magni and Modi in conjunction with the mixamp and a game console?

Like, you connect the console to the mixamp's optical input, Modi to the mixamp's optical output, and then Magni to Modi via RCA. And then headphones to Magni.

With Magni and the Astro mixamps, I assume you'll be able to mix the game and chat volume despite the headphones being connected to the Magni, so I reckon this also applies to the Turtle Beach mixamp...

Not gonna happen. Optical output on the TAC is passthrough only, You can use it to plug 5.1 speakers into the TAC, but not to output DTS processed two channel signal.

And even if that would be possible the game/chat mixing wouldn't because (on Astro Mixamps at least) the mixing is done in the analog domain and optical output would bypass the analog mixer.

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #38,196 of 48,583
Great piece of kit.

I'm curious how much better of a music source than an X7 with upgraded op-amps is. I had a silver edition and just sold it.

I only have the Sparkos singles installed in my X7 (duals are on their way) and so far the iDSD BL wins with the X7. Better soundstage, better imaging, stronger bass, clearer highs. It's not a night and day difference (unlike the iDSD vs E18) but it's definitely there. It's just I'd love to compare it with X7+SS3601+SS3602 combo but I'll have to return the iDSD before the duals arrive (I got it on loan as part of the Review Tour).

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #38,197 of 48,583
If you have a couple of 598's why not sell all that stuff and hop on a Fostex TH-X00 variant? 

Woah woah! The HD598 and TH-X00 are very different headphones, I know he said he wanted more bass but the HD598 is a small circumaural, "competitive" sound signature, open headphone, while the TH-X00 is a large, "fun/immersive" V-shaped sound signature, closed headphone. If the guy has several HD598 and decides to keep one, the TH-X00 would make a great contrasting compliment headphone, and he may overall prefer the Massdrop x Fostex headphone over the Sennheiser, but that's a pretty big leap of faith based on how much info he's given so far!

Anyway, the TH-X00 is a good headphone, I just recommend reading a review or two :wink:

I'm thinking of buying the ether flow (not flow c) or the Elears for gaming. Does anyone have any experience with these enough to give me some advice? Would be greatly appreciated.

The Elear is awesome, like a grown-up and refined HD650, but if you can stretch for the Ether Flow you'd find it a little more technically capable. I think both headphones are great though, the Elear may be preferred for it's smoother high frequency response (treble).

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #38,198 of 48,583
Woah woah! The HD598 and TH-X00 are very different headphones, I know he said he wanted more bass but the HD598 is a small circumaural, "competitive" sound signature, open headphone, while the TH-X00 is a large, "fun/immersive" V-shaped sound signature, closed headphone. If the guy has several HD598 and decides to keep one, the TH-X00 would make a great contrasting compliment headphone, and he may overall prefer the Massdrop x Fostex headphone over the Sennheiser, but that's a pretty big leap of faith based on how much info he's given so far!

Anyway, the TH-X00 is a good headphone, I just recommend reading a review or two :wink:
The Elear is awesome, like a grown-up and refined HD650, but if you can stretch for the Ether Flow you'd find it a little more technically capable. I think both headphones are great though, the Elear may be preferred for it's smoother high frequency response (treble).

Hey thanks so much for your response. I can stretch for the flow, i have either c's 1.1 currently so i can just go the upgrade route just going to see if i can sell them first so i dont need to wait. Looks like i will just go with the flows.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #38,200 of 48,583
I game pretty heavily with the ETHER Flow and on occasion the iSine 20. I don't game with the Elear, but we do have one at the office so maybe on Monday I can test the same game with the Flow and Elear for a quick A/B. If you have any specific questions about gaming with the Flow let me know.

just a couple of questions as I have only used the ether c 1-1's for music and gaming.

What is the bass/sound stage like for an open headphone? I will be gaming a lot in them as well as listening to house, rock/metal and hiphop.

Here's my conumdrum. I can upgrade my ether c 1.1's to the flows (non c flows I would get) or for a similar price point I could just buy a new set of elears, but there's an issue there as well, I'm starting to hear bad things about the drivers dostorting or other issues and seeing no so great reviews on them now they've been out in the wild for some time.

Personally I'm really leaning to the upgrade path for the ether flows. Or i might just say stuff it and keep them and just buy the flows hahaha. I also just pre ordered the new AEONs as well. (I'm a sound whore). Thanks for any help.

Please make my decisission for me. What would you do hahahaha.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #38,201 of 48,583
If you got the AEON, I would get the open Ether flow, lol!

The Elear actually has remarkably low distortion, lower than most headphones, so I wouldn't fault them that way. There is a small shallow notch in the frequency curve, but in my two auditions of it I didn't hear it stand out to me. I think that once the hype and anti-hype clears, the Elear is a very good headphone with liquid, musical mids and a bit relaxed treble, and a good hi-fi headphone.

However, the Ether Flow is summit-fi, and one that I personally love for it's character and light weight, and I'd recommend it to you as a stablemate to your ÆON. The ÆON may even outperform your Ether C 1.1, I'd love your impressions on the comparison lol :wink:

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #38,202 of 48,583
If you got the AEON, I would get the open Ether flow, lol!

The Elear actually has remarkably low distortion, lower than most headphones, so I wouldn't fault them that way. There is a small shallow notch in the frequency curve, but in my two auditions of it I didn't hear it stand out to me. I think that once the hype and anti-hype clears, the Elear is a very good headphone with liquid, musical mids and a bit relaxed treble, and a good hi-fi headphone.

However, the Ether Flow is summit-fi, and one that I personally love for it's character and light weight, and I'd recommend it to you as a stablemate to your ÆON. The ÆON may even outperform your Ether C 1.1, I'd love your impressions on the comparison lol :wink:

Thanks so much for your feed back. The flow it shall be!

I will for sure let you know how the AEON performs I cant wait to get them.

You 100% helped make my decission so much easier.

Thank you!

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #38,204 of 48,583
Hey thanks so much for your response. I can stretch for the flow, i have either c's 1.1 currently so i can just go the upgrade route just going to see if i can sell them first so i dont need to wait. Looks like i will just go with the flows.

C Flow is great for gaming. I imagine the open variant would be excellent, too. Can't go wrong, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back