Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 27, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #38,012 of 48,566
Well, I could get a 400i on Amazon for only $250 right now... that seems like a really good price for one that (some of you) consider an upgrade from my K7XX... someday, I'll replace my a900x, too...

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #38,013 of 48,566
Change, 

do you prefer your Fostex TH or your 400i for gaming? What strengths/disadvantages do you see in comparison? CHANGE! WHAT DO YOU SEE? CHANGE! WHAT DO YOU SEE? CHANGE! CHANGE!

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #38,016 of 48,566
Any of you Console/PC gamers looking at getting an A16?

Yup! Day one preorder, after CanJam impressions from others I was FAR to curious! Surround (and the resulting immersion) is one of my favorite audio things, though my appreciation of music has seen a renaissance (and I haven't heard anything to appreciate surround in music yet).

Going to get a customized head/ear measurement from Smyth at CanJam NYC, will post impressions!

I'm waiting for the Sennheiser PC37X from Massdrop. I'm hoping it's tuned a little better for gaming. I love my Annies, but they can be improved.
I'm waiting for my taxes to be done. This past year is a mess and I need an accountant to prepare them. Once I figure out my monthly income, I'll most likely preorder it. I really wanted the A8, but it was entirely too expensive. While the A16 is not chump change, I feel it's worthwhile at its price.

I'll tell you about it after CanJam NYC. Also, the PC37X definitely has a warmer, fuller sound than the AKGs, less soundstage but still does Surround imaging well. It's not the ultimate answer for everyone... but it's VERY well suited for gaming, and I'm confident most will love the sound.

Sometimes a mid-fi to mid-fi sidegrade isn't objectively an upgrade... but it might please personal preferences so much more that subjectively a sidegrade can feel like an upgrade :)

Change, 

do you prefer your Fostex TH or your 400i for gaming? What strengths/disadvantages do you see in comparison? CHANGE! WHAT DO YOU SEE? CHANGE! WHAT DO YOU SEE? CHANGE! CHANGE!

CHANGE! CHANGE! CHANGE! :eyes:

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #38,018 of 48,566
So here's my dilemma - I'm getting taxes back and will have enough for either one.

Looking at the HD800-S or the T1 Gen 2 to pair with my x7 Limited Edition (have 3601s and 3602s opamps installed). Which is gonna be better for gaming in terms of positioning?

Currently I have Beyerdynamic MMX300s and they're great for positioning - just looking for an open back. Tried the K712 Pros which people praise but my goodness they didn't separate sounds during busy moments well and definitely lacked detail (and were surprisingly hard to drive).

So yeah I guess I value positional accuracy and detail above all else. Which wins the HD800-S or T1 Gen 2?

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #38,019 of 48,566
Those are some nice looking cans... I've contemplated going straight from my K7XX to something like an Ether or an Ether Flow (or even replacing my a900x with the Ether C)... but I can't justify it, yet; hence my interest in the 400i.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #38,022 of 48,566
  Has anyone used an X7 with a HifiMan 400i?  I'm contemplating upgrading my K7XX to one of those...

Been using the combo for quite awhile, love it. I do find my 712s to be better for competitive FPS, though.
Possibly the AT 1000 or 2000 would be your type of can, too?

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #38,023 of 48,566
Thanks to you guys I chose my first audiophile headphone, will finally get to have a listen to it with the xbox one later today.

Anyway I'm here again, but this time about a proper amp. Has anyone tried the schiit magni/magni 2 with the AKG k612, and turtle beach dss2?

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #38,024 of 48,566

Some of us can make that happen...

Would it be possible to rename Change is Good to Change is Bad so his profile would say "Change is Bad formerly known as Change is Good" ?
Yup! Day one preorder, after CanJam impressions from others I was FAR to curious! Surround (and the resulting immersion) is one of my favorite audio things, though my appreciation of music has seen a renaissance (and I haven't heard anything to appreciate surround in music yet).

Have You tried listening to native 5.1 music? You can find samples here. Maybe You didn't like surround in music before because it was native stereo music.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #38,025 of 48,566
Have You tried listening to native 5.1 music? You can find samples here. Maybe You didn't like surround in music before because it was native stereo music.

I need to do this. I have several 5.1 SACDs and Blu-rays. Actually don't know why I haven't yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back