Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 29, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #38,026 of 48,566
Whats a good $100-$200 range headphone for playing a game like Alien Isolation on PS4 pairing the Astro mix amp and fio e12 amp. Looking for something good for hearing the different areas the Alien is moving and hearing all the little sounds the ship is making? I had the AD700x at one point and it sounded good. But was curious if there was something else out there or better for the price. I have the dt880 250 ohm,shp9500, 668s,M40x,CALS, and they hyper X cloud 2. Anything out there in my price range that would do any better than what I have? Thanks!

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #38,027 of 48,566
Whats a good $100-$200 range headphone for playing a game like Alien Isolation on PS4 pairing the Astro mix amp and fio e12 amp. Looking for something good for hearing the different areas the Alien is moving and hearing all the little sounds the ship is making? I had the AD700x at one point and it sounded good. But was curious if there was something else out there or better for the price. I have the dt880 250 ohm,shp9500, 668s,M40x,CALS, and they hyper X cloud 2. Anything out there in my price range that would do any better than what I have? Thanks!

Have You tried HD598?

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #38,029 of 48,566
I have actually thanks! I used to have the black special edition. I think I'm asking too much out of 2 speakers arent I? I probably just need to invest in a nice home theater surround sound system lol.

There really isn't anything "better" as I have come to understand after 2 or 3 years of being around here. Everything seems to be more subjective and personal preference. However, there are 2 things to consider...well more like 3. Do you want to be a competitive gamer? Do you want more immersion? Or do you want a balance of both (trade offs of one thing to another)

I simply choose the latter, mainly because I always want that oomph at the low end when playing games with lot's of stuff going on.

So the question is...what are you expecting from 2 speakers?

Also, a surround sound system is also a hit or miss and usually need to spend a good amount of money for the real mid to high end gear to get the good surround sound system. Not just that but the set up process along with room acoustics and what not come into play. It's a whole other dilemma and if you choose to still have voice chat with friends, throw that out the window because if you are blasting those speakers, your friends will definitely hear all of that and will mute you lol.

Just my opinion and personal experience.

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #38,030 of 48,566
There really isn't anything "better" as I have come to understand after 2 or 3 years of being around here. Everything seems to be more subjective and personal preference. However, there are 2 things to consider...well more like 3. Do you want to be a competitive gamer? Do you want more immersion? Or do you want a balance of both (trade offs of one thing to another)

I simply choose the latter, mainly because I always want that oomph at the low end when playing games with lot's of stuff going on.

So the question is...what are you expecting from 2 speakers?

Also, a surround sound system is also a hit or miss and usually need to spend a good amount of money for the real mid to high end gear to get the good surround sound system. Not just that but the set up process along with room acoustics and what not come into play. It's a whole other dilemma and if you choose to still have voice chat with friends, throw that out the window because if you are blasting those speakers, your friends will definitely hear all of that and will mute you lol.

Just my opinion and personal experience.
Thanks so much for your input! Yea. Im just a casual gamer who doesn't game online at all. I just want the best sound possible and to hear all the details and sounds. Like in a game such as Alien Isolation. I want to feel like i am in that room with the alien. And not just seeing the game playing and im watching it. If that makes sense?

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #38,031 of 48,566
Would it be possible to rename Change is Good to Change is Bad so his profile would say "Change is Bad formerly known as Change is Good" ?

It has crossed my mind. I've been reeeeeeeeally bad boy. :upside_down:

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #38,032 of 48,566
Originally Posted by Is13coco 

Been using the combo for quite awhile, love it. I do find my 712s to be better for competitive FPS, though.
Possibly the AT 1000 or 2000 would be your type of can, too?

The K7XX is used with my PS4, which isn't my FPS system... I play FPS games on my PC with my a900x.  I'd love to replace them but they have to be closed back which means, from my research, I'm kind of limited in my "upgrades"... as I've said, I've toyed with the idea of just jumping straight to an Ether C or something but that seems crazy.

Do you think the 400i offers more "oomph" with the X7 than the K7XX?  I'm looking for a really nice, immersive sound when I'm playing my mostly single-player games (like FF15 or the upcoming Persona 5).  Soundstage and positioning is important, yes, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little of each if the overall quality is better (though, I'd preferably love to have all 3).

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #38,033 of 48,566

The K7XX is used with my PS4, which isn't my FPS system... I play FPS games on my PC with my a900x.  I'd love to replace them but they have to be closed back which means, from my research, I'm kind of limited in my "upgrades"... as I've said, I've toyed with the idea of just jumping straight to an Ether C or something but that seems crazy.

Do you think the 400i offers more "oomph" with the X7 than the K7XX?  I'm looking for a really nice, immersive sound when I'm playing my mostly single-player games (like FF15 or the upcoming Persona 5).  Soundstage and positioning is important, yes, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little of each if the overall quality is better (though, I'd preferably love to have all 3).

You can EQ as much bass as you want with the X7 with both cans. I have both and the 400i will sound better and require less messing with the levels to get the "oomph" you want. The 400i is also better with positioning, to me, but you will find differing opinions there. If it were me and I could go back and only buy one, I would get the 400i, no question.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #38,034 of 48,566
Have You tried listening to native 5.1 music? You can find samples here. Maybe You didn't like surround in music before because it was native stereo music.

Thanks for the samples, I did collect several of the Z+ apps that have samples of Zimmerman soundtrack songs in DTS X... and they sound different but not really better or significantly directional. I think part of what makes Surround work for me in games is the interactivity, how it changes from how I change my relative direction in game. We'll see how I feel when I get the Realiser, where the music will stay in the same relative position when I turn my head physically in the real world :)

Nothing much better at that price point... which is by today's standards considered entry-level instead of high end. I prefer AKG's sound over Beyerdynamics or Sony's MA900 at that price range, but I haven't heard the Philips X series. If you raise your budget, there are headphones that make a pretty significant difference in detail and "holographic realism." Manufacturers can only pack in so much engineering and quality into $200 headphones.

Just to mention, sure it has been mentioned before, the HE400i is an open backed can. A VERY open backed can, which can be a great thing or an ill-suited thing, depending on the situation.

Did you see the announcement of MrSpeakers new Aeon? THAT HAS MY ATTENTION!!!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/833820/aeon-mrspeakers-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #38,035 of 48,566
Nothing much better at that price point... which is by today's standards considered entry-level instead of high end. I prefer AKG's sound over Beyerdynamics or Sony's MA900 at that price range, but I haven't heard the Philips X series. If you raise your budget, there are headphones that make a pretty significant difference in detail and "holographic realism." Manufacturers can only pack in so much engineering and quality into $200 headphones.
That was my fear.. Wish i could sell all my current headphones or trade them all in for a nice $400 pair of audiophile headphones..

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #38,036 of 48,566
http://www.head-fi.org/t/833820/aeon-mrspeakers-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone

If Ether C and HifiMan HE1000 had drunk sex this is what the resulting baby would look like.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #38,037 of 48,566
Just to mention, sure it has been mentioned before, the HE400i is an open backed can. A VERY open backed can, which can be a great thing or an ill-suited thing, depending on the situation.

Yeah, I know that the 400i are open backed... I'm good with open back for my PS4 gaming, since I'm not worried about sound leakage as much with that.  I just want a good set of cans so I can more fully enjoy my PS4.  My PC, on the other hand, needs to have a closed back (since my computer is in the bedroom and I was disturbing my wife with my old open backed cans when she's sleeping).

Man, I was WAITING for MrSpeakers to announce a more affordable pair of cans!  AND it's closed back?  AND it goes on sale tonight?  Sold.  I'll use those to replace my a900x, I think...

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #38,038 of 48,566
Yeah, I know that the 400i are open backed... I'm good with open back for my PS4 gaming, since I'm not worried about sound leakage as much with that.  I just want a good set of cans so I can more fully enjoy my PS4.  My PC, on the other hand, needs to have a closed back (since my computer is in the bedroom and I was disturbing my wife with my old open backed cans when she's sleeping).

Man, I was WAITING for MrSpeakers to announce a more affordable pair of cans!  AND it's closed back?  AND it goes on sale tonight?  Sold.  I'll use those to replace my a900x, I think...

More affordable at 799.99?!?! Ha now that's funny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back