Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 24, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #37,983 of 48,566
Has anyone tried running the K7XXs with only the mixamp? I'm wondering if an amp is needed if they're only used for gaming.

IMO yes. You might be able to get by with the dial turned all the way to game volume, no voice. They will sound better with an amp. 62 ohm and pretty power hungry. Considering you can get a Magni (or something similar) for not much, especially used, I would plan to do that down the road.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #37,984 of 48,566
That's a shame. I don't know if it's worth buying an amp because I wouldn't be able to use it with my laptop (they're pretty far away from each other). I don't listen to music that much but I still don't know if I can justify the cost in that case.

Really, I'm just trying to find something that has some of the fun that the X2s have, but with roomier pads and less clamp. I've stretched them as far as they'll go but it's still not very comfortable; especially on the top of my head. I have the same issue with the X00's headband and pads so maybe I just have a big head/ears. but it's very frustrating trying to find a headphone that I can actually consider comfortable and fits my preferences. I might just buy a K7XX to see if the comfort is right, and look into an amp if everything checks out. If not I could always sell it.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #37,985 of 48,566
  That's a shame. I don't know if it's worth buying an amp because I wouldn't be able to use it with my laptop (they're pretty far away from each other). I don't listen to music that much but I still don't know if I can justify the cost in that case.

Really, I'm just trying to find something that has some of the fun that the X2s have, but with roomier pads and less clamp. I've stretched them as far as they'll go but it's still not very comfortable; especially on the top of my head. I have the same issue with the X00's headband and pads so maybe I just have a big head/ears. but it's very frustrating trying to find a headphone that I can actually consider comfortable and fits my preferences. I might just buy a K7XX to see if the comfort is right, and look into an amp if everything checks out. If not I could always sell it.

If You're after a gaming only pair of cans try the PC37X. It's relatively cheap and very potent.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #37,986 of 48,566
I have a setup in mind for PS4: Astro Mixamp(2014) +
Superlux HD 668-B
For the mic I've read on other threads posted here that the mic quality is bad when connected through the 2014 edition of the Mixamp if I get an Antlion ModMic or V-Moda Boom Mic. So my question is, will I be able to use a USB mic to avoid this issue, or is that not possible with this set up? Astro Mixamp TR is out of my $120 budget as much as I'd love to drop the $130 for the TR.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #37,987 of 48,566
If You're after a gaming only pair of cans try the PC37X. It's relatively cheap and very potent.

He'll have to stretch them out, to reduce clamp though. He should be doing that with the X2 as well. Clamp is something easily remedied on everythihng but the cheapest, easily broken headphones.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #37,989 of 48,566
He'll have to stretch them out, to reduce clamp though. He should be doing that with the X2 as well. Clamp is something easily remedied on everythihng but the cheapest, easily broken headphones.

I've stretched it so much that the elastic band holding the headband in place actually came loose at one point. Pretty sure I'm at the limit. I think the issue is due to the lack of headband padding more than anything. That's where all of the pressure seems to be. The odd thing is that I when I stopped using them over 6 months ago, I found them very comfortable. I might need to adjust to the velour pads and fit after using the X00s for so long.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #37,990 of 48,566
As a non-audiophile listener, would upgrading from a DT880 250ohm to a 600OHM have any noticeable upgrade in terms of sound, assuming I had a powerful enough AMP to power them? (Not sure if double amping the Astro mix amp and Fio E-12 would be enough) I love the DT880 250ohm, but just wondered if the 600 ohm would yield any noticeable differences. While on this subject, My DT880 250 ohm are a used pair and sometimes when I use my mix amp and fio E12 together I’m hearing distortion in some video game sounds when it comes to some explosion sounds on PS4 and wondered if I have a bad pair of headphones or if I am using the amps wrong. I usually set the mix amp to almost all the way up, to maybe in between 2 and 3 o clock (with 3 o clock being all the way up) and use the Fio amp to raise and lower the sound.)

Also, I have been reading different reviews and some people say the DT770 has more bass than the DT880 and vice versa. Anyone have an opinion on the bass differences from someone who has used both? Is this a matter of opinion per person? I know one is a closed can and one is “semi open”, so maybe the bass sounds different between the 2? I have heard DT770 blow your ear drums out, but then I have heard the DT880 and 990 have more bass and the bass certainly doesn’t blow my ears out in my 880 250ohm or the 990s I had previously. Thoughts?

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #37,991 of 48,566
As a non-audiophile listener, would upgrading from a DT880 250ohm to a 600OHM have any noticeable upgrade in terms of sound, assuming I had a powerful enough AMP to power them? (Not sure if double amping the Astro mix amp and Fio E-12 would be enough) I love the DT880 250ohm, but just wondered if the 600 ohm would yield any noticeable differences. While on this subject, My DT880 250 ohm are a used pair and sometimes when I use my mix amp and fio E12 together I’m hearing distortion in some video game sounds when it comes to some explosion sounds on PS4 and wondered if I have a bad pair of headphones or if I am using the amps wrong. I usually set the mix amp to almost all the way up, to maybe in between 2 and 3 o clock (with 3 o clock being all the way up) and use the Fio amp to raise and lower the sound.)

Also, I have been reading different reviews and some people say the DT770 has more bass than the DT880 and vice versa. Anyone have an opinion on the bass differences from someone who has used both? Is this a matter of opinion per person? I know one is a closed can and one is “semi open”, so maybe the bass sounds different between the 2? I have heard DT770 blow your ear drums out, but then I have heard the DT880 and 990 have more bass and the bass certainly doesn’t blow my ears out in my 880 250ohm or the 990s I had previously. Thoughts?

I don't think you stand to gain much from a 250 ohm to 600 ohm swap, unless you were trying to match to a certain OTL amp, and even then that is probably going to be minimum. If you were looking to change up your sound, give us an idea of what you like about the 880 and where you are looking to improve it. Budget also helps a lot. The reviews in the front of this review basically cover the different ohm models for the DT990 I am positive, and possibly the DT880, DT770. MLE did an awesome job with the first page reviews.

I wish I could comment more on the Mixamp and where to dial it in. If I remember correctly, I didn't use mine at full out, to avoid distortion. Try maybe 2/3 on the volume of the Mixamp and control the volume how you have been. Trying the Mixamp at different output levels may yield very different levels of distortion. Each Mixamp revision has had its weirdness about different functions. Mine is a 2011 I believe. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #37,992 of 48,566
I have a astro a40tr with mixamp pro tr and looking for a upgrade. Is the Fidelio X2 worth 237$? Should I buy a new amp or the current one is good enough with the X2?

Pretty sure the X2 doesn't really need extra amping. I've never heard it, but it is low ohm and efficient. Should be able to run off of a phone. Double amping never hurts and may bring more out of the X2. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #37,993 of 48,566
I don't think you stand to gain much from a 250 ohm to 600 ohm swap, unless you were trying to match to a certain OTL amp, and even then that is probably going to be minimum. If you were looking to change up your sound, give us an idea of what you like about the 880 and where you are looking to improve it. Budget also helps a lot. The reviews in the front of this review basically cover the different ohm models for the DT990 I am positive, and possibly the DT880, DT770. MLE did an awesome job with the first page reviews.

I wish I could comment more on the Mixamp and where to dial it in. If I remember correctly, I didn't use mine at full out, to avoid distortion. Try maybe 2/3 on the volume of the Mixamp and control the volume how you have been. Trying the Mixamp at different output levels may yield very different levels of distortion. Each Mixamp revision has had its weirdness about different functions. Mine is a 2011 I believe. 
Thanks for the reply! You know. I loved the DT990 pro 250 ohm EXCEPT for the mids? I love rock music and videogames but the vocals in songs and games always were too quiet and music and sound seemed to really over power them. I dont think a headphone exists that im looking for. unless there is a DT990 with louder vocals ha. And I will play around with my mixamp (I have the older version with the white slanted stripes under the voice chat knob.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #37,994 of 48,566
Thanks for the reply! You know. I loved the DT990 pro 250 ohm EXCEPT for the mids? I love rock music and videogames but the vocals in songs and games always were too quiet and music and sound seemed to really over power them. I dont think a headphone exists that im looking for. unless there is a DT990 with louder vocals ha. And I will play around with my mixamp (I have the older version with the white slanted stripes under the voice chat knob.

You'd be amazed how many headphones sound close to your wants. It's really budget and what you can listen to. You seem newer to the hobby so you'll see, :wink:.

Have you tried EQing yet? That's not popular here but I have no idea why. I find dialing down works better than up, introduces less distortion. If you have a headphone that is almost perfect, why not try and make it that way? Some headphones respond very well to EQ, some don't. Isn't perfect but better than being unhappy with a headphone.

This is far harder on gaming and movies, but music shouldn't be too difficult (unless you have something like the Creative Sound Blaster X7, which has an EQ built in). Most programs on computers have EQ for music.

If you haven't read the 1st post, that is a good start for ideas on headphones and how they sound.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #37,995 of 48,566
Pretty sure the X2 doesn't really need extra amping. I've never heard it, but it is low ohm and efficient. Should be able to run off of a phone. Double amping never hurts and may bring more out of the X2. 

I have both PC and PS4, the amp is mostly for PS4, hah.. Hmm,I will keep the mixamp pro, thanks!
/Just ordered the X2, really excited for it now :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back