Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #3,676 of 48,566

i am still looking for Beyers or AKG to round out my budding love for headphones. I am wondering though if a headphone amp would have cleared out some of the muddiness of this model. Or if that is just the way it goes. Also as far as amps I am stuck between the a couple I am stuck lol. E17, matrix M with 627A from TAM, /sigh it is just another slippery slope.
Quote:
So I sold the DT 770 Pro 80s, as much as the positioning impressed me, overall they were just too muddy, as soon as anything hectic happened the positioning went right out the window, they just didn't wow me lol.

I also got rid of my CALs, although I do enjoy them they just barely ever got used, no point in keeping them around.

The only headphones I have atm are the HFI 780s and although I LOVE them for music, they are just too harsh sounding in DH for me, that and they are pretty uncomfortable, although the positioning/imaging is nice. Just wish they weren't as harsh.

Anyone tried the Pro 900s with the Mixamp? thinking about upgrading from the 780s and using the Pro 900s for music as well, would just love a can that I can enjoy with music and gaming.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3,677 of 48,566
Quote:
I am wondering though if a headphone amp would have cleared out some of the muddiness of this model.

The bass of the DT770 Pro 80 may sound muddier from a high impedance source, like a 75 or 100Ω onboard audio jack. This of course applies to many other headphones as well, but for something that is already boomy, adding even more bass resonance may be too much.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #3,678 of 48,566
As easy as the DT770 Pro 80s are to drive, they could definitely benefit from a strong amp that tightens up bass area. Though, they are still slow and boomy among the worst that I've tried in that regard. Only the XB500/700, Koss UR40 (dunno why), DT770/600 (dunno why either as these are usually bass light) came out worse in terms of overwhelming bass.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #3,679 of 48,566

Quote:
I have the same dilemma as you, I would like to keep AX720 amp and replace the default headphones with some which have better soundstage and front/rear separation. Superlux 668B seems like a good deal, but I am not sure if it will be a significant improvement over AX720 headphones. Please let us know when you buy new ones, to give some impressions about surround sound difference.

I ordered the Creative Aurvana Live from amazon.  They should be coming sometime next week.  I'll be sure to post my impressions.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #3,680 of 48,566
How's the SQ on the mixamp just as a DAC for music if you bypass dolby headphone and feed it digitally via spdif? Is its DAC comparable with something like the fiio e7? It should at least be better than onboard sound.

@MLE
It seems you missed my post about the german headzone review.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #3,681 of 48,566
My pre-modded HD555's arrived today. I haven't played any games yet just listening to some music to test some things out.

#1 I thought these were going to be a little harder to drive. I have a razer barracuda ac-1 and I think I need the volume turned down more on these 555 than my old skullcandy agent's. I have a xonar DG on the way and should be here this week.

#2 Why are people complaining about the bass with these headphones? The bass is huge, punchy and tight compared to any headphone I've ever used in the past.

So far I'm very impressed with these for $75 ...

Now for some INTERESTING news... I've preemptively Ordered something neat. Something probably so overkill for my undeveloped ears that it's ridiculous. I bought a pair of STAX. Not some electret wanna be. Not some numbered cans that doesn't justify the name but a true electrostatic letter set of cans. Stax Gamma with the srd6/sb. What am I in for? I have a few power amplifiers to choose from a Realistic STA-2000, a Technics SA-AX810 and a Pioneer VSX 3300.

I've heard that STAX have a notorious low bass output but since I'm quite satisfied with the hd555's bass perhaps it would be just right? Does anybody have any experience or advise with Stax "earspeakers" for gaming, movies and music? .... couldn't just call them headphones.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #3,682 of 48,566
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of DT990pro 250ohm. They were 180 before shipping and taxes so I thought what the hell. Now to finally settle on an amp for my cans.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #3,683 of 48,566
Now for some INTERESTING news... I've preemptively Ordered something neat. Something probably so overkill for my undeveloped ears that it's ridiculous. I bought a pair of STAX. Not some electret wanna be. Not some numbered cans that doesn't justify the name but a true electrostatic letter set of cans. Stax Gamma with the srd6/sb. What am I in for? I have a few power amplifiers to choose from a Realistic STA-2000, a Technics SA-AX810 and a Pioneer VSX 3300.

I've heard that STAX have a notorious low bass output but since I'm quite satisfied with the hd555's bass perhaps it would be just right? Does anybody have any experience or advise with Stax "earspeakers" for gaming, movies and music? .... couldn't just call them headphones.

Former competitive Quake 3 player here. Been gaming with electrostatics for years, though truthfully the last time I took anything competitive seriously was in Quake 3 OSP... 6 years ago?

Electrostatics don't all have weak bass. They vary in the bass about as much as dynamics do. Just as some dynamics have weak bass and some have monster bass, so do electrostatics. The issue with 'stats is that in order to have big bass they also need a beefy amp, so most of the cheapish budget amps out there really aren't enough to wake the headphones up basswise. That, and a lot of the square Stax, which most people use until they get to something like the O2, kinda lack bass. Hence the reputation for 'stats lacking bass in general, and overall it's not true.

Personally I think 'stats are overkill for gaming. Most games have pretty poorly recorded sound and electrostatics simply have too much detail to tolerate it. So instead of being fully immersive like they should they only expose the flaws in the game engine. In terms of positioning, they're just fine, the positioning is as good as anything you can get your hands on but again, not necessarily better. I really feel that with the way sound engines are in most games, going seriously high-end is totally unnecessary to extract the maximum sonic performance out of a game. For Q3/QL something like a DT770 is totally sufficient. I use the O2 just because I already have it, so why not. Also it's amazingly comfortable.

FWIW though Skyrim uses FLACs for its soundtrack IIRC and generally has a very well done sound engine, so it was a real treat on the O2. I had to constantly keep reminding myself to not turn the volume up to monster levels since as you will most likely find out, electrostatics will go loud without any distortion at all, and it's very easy to hit well past hearing damage levels and not really notice it.

With the Gammas, make sure they're in good condition, and if there are any issues with channel balance, constant popping, crackling, or squeaking sounds that happen when you're not moving your headphones, or totally missing bass, let people know, preferably in the Stax thread. These headphones are getting a little long in the tooth and some issues can potentially crop up - but there are ways to fix them as well.

If they work fine you're in for one hell of a nice pair of cans. Electrostatics present detail in such an amazingly natural way, without excessive brightness that usually comes with detailed dynamics. Plus they handle complex music way better than dynamics can and are actually great for things like metal, rock, and busy electronica.

Most stats are utterly ruthless when it comes to sources and recording quality, so be ready to want to upgrade your source and generally get better quality files.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #3,684 of 48,566
nfnity, thanks I did see that. :)

BTW guys...

At least now I'm 100% sure it wasn't the L7 LOD OR the E9 dock that were faulty. My E7's proprietary input just.... well, you can see what happened, lol.

So now, I have zero functionality between the E7 and E9 (though the E7 still works perfectly fine as it's own DAC/AMp via USB, and the D7000 sounds damn good off it). Oh well. Guess I can move the D3 from the bedroom to the computer desk for now. I've been looking for a new dac/amp anyways.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #3,686 of 48,566

Quote:
biggrin.gif

you bought A1?

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #3,687 of 48,566
*duplicated*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back