Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,661 of 48,566
Double post?

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #3,662 of 48,566
Quote:
Eric_C said:

chicolom: sorry if you already answered this, but how's that Antlion Mod Mic working out for you? I'm considering one.

It works good.  It is SUPER sensitive.  You just bend it around and the placement isn't that crucial because of the high sensitivity.  Just a couple inches away from your mouth is fine. 

I love that I can just unsnap the magnet when I'm done and I get my headphones back again, without any "mods" hanging off it.  That's what sold me on it.

Quote:
Telltale said:

If you do get the CALs then let us know what they're like.
I'm very interested in getting then for my next pair of 'phones do any more opinions on how they perform, particularly in regards to gaming and dh, would be great.

I have some CALs here.  I can test them again with gaming if you want...

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #3,663 of 48,566

Quote:

It works good.  It is SUPER sensitive.  You just bend it around and the placement isn't that crucial because of the high sensitivity.  Just a couple inches away from your mouth is fine. 

I love that I can just unsnap the magnet when I'm done and I get my headphones back again, without any "mods" hanging off it.  That's what sold me on it.

I have some CALs here.  I can test them again with gaming if you want...

Yes, that would be great if you could test them!

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #3,664 of 48,566
Been reading this thread since last year. Read the one on avs also but this one was much more interesting.

I am about set on what I am looking for. One bass can and one balkanced. Makes me sad that the 880 have the hole at 6 oclock they sound perfect for me.

Ballanced

Akg q701
Dt 880

Bass

Dt 990
Ultrasone 750 - not sure here the have a lot of models

Thinking of getting the ballanced first then deciding if I need more base. Thinking about just buying a few and keeping the one I like but not sure if amazons return policy on that.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3,665 of 48,566

Quote:
Yes, that would be great if you could test them!

They're just OK.  I wouldn't get them specifically for gaming.  They're a little to bass heavy and warm for my tastes.  The positioning is alright.  I'm used to open headphones, so the soundstage seems small but for closed they're decent.  Better than the JVC RX900 I used to have.  They're excellent for music though for the price. 

I would say aim for an open pair, unless you need closed specifically.  As far as closed headphones in the price range, the CALs are one of the better choices.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #3,666 of 48,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sweet. I just ordered one, it should get to me by mid-Feb. I kind of need a new mic to game on Xbox now--I just bought a Razer Onza, and it doesn't accommodate the old, official Xbox headset puck, plus the newer headsets that MS was packaging with consoles isn't available in my country. Oh well.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #3,667 of 48,566

Quote:

They're just OK.  I wouldn't get them specifically for gaming.  They're a little to bass heavy and warm for my tastes.  The positioning is alright.  I'm used to open headphones, so the soundstage seems small but for closed they're decent.  Better than the JVC RX900 I used to have.  They're excellent for music though for the price. 

I would say aim for an open pair, unless you need closed specifically.  As far as closed headphones in the price range, the CALs are one of the better choices.

Thanks for testing.  Did you find them to be veiled at all?

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #3,668 of 48,566

Quote:
Thanks for testing.  Did you find them to be veiled at all?

They're not veiled or muddy, just a little on the warm side.  The lower frequencies are stronger than the rest.  I prefer a thinner sounding headphone for gaming.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #3,669 of 48,566
+1 on the Modmic I love mine.

Best of luck on the Onza mine lasted 3 months and the right stick lost calibration and it was always moving on it's own accord. My brothers also lost his calibration but was able to get it back after several resets. I could never get mine to work again. Both were tournament editions so that might make a difference. I really loved it while it worked. There was a huge thread on the MLG forums full of complaints.

Quote:
Sweet. I just ordered one, it should get to me by mid-Feb. I kind of need a new mic to game on Xbox now--I just bought a Razer Onza, and it doesn't accommodate the old, official Xbox headset puck, plus the newer headsets that MS was packaging with consoles isn't available in my country. Oh well.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #3,670 of 48,566

Quote:
Best of luck on the Onza mine lasted 3 months and the right stick lost calibration and it was always moving on it's own accord. My brothers also lost his calibration but was able to get it back after several resets. I could never get mine to work again. Both were tournament editions so that might make a difference. I really loved it while it worked. There was a huge thread on the MLG forums full of complaints.

=\

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #3,671 of 48,566
I forgot about this thing  http://www.madcatz.com/mlg/360_controller.htm

Too bad its $100 
mad.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #3,672 of 48,566
You mean I could have a ps3 style dpad for my 360 that is a tad tempting. lol

If the quality is as good as their fight sticks it would be almost worth that price.

Quote:
I forgot about this thing  http://www.madcatz.com/mlg/360_controller.htm

Too bad its $100 
mad.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #3,673 of 48,566
Actually ordered the PS3 version of that controlle today, but cancelled it. I hate the dualshock controller for shooters. The 360 controller is MUCH better for me. The MLG Pro controller was a godsend for me, as it has a 360 style ergonomics, and button placement. I only cancelled because its not something I absolutely need atm (no shooters that I desperately need it for right now).

It is quite steep in price though. $75 would've made more sense.

BTW, I'm keeping a lookout for the Shure 1840, which may be the high end velour padded, open can I want/need, though MSRP is $700. :frowning2:

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #3,674 of 48,566

Quote:
I realize that buying two headphones would be an obvious solution, but I would really prefer not to do that.  What is the best pair of headphones I could get from bestbuy.com that would satisfy the above criteria?  My budget is under $200.  Thanks for any suggestions.

I have the same dilemma as you, I would like to keep AX720 amp and replace the default headphones with some which have better soundstage and front/rear separation. Superlux 668B seems like a good deal, but I am not sure if it will be a significant improvement over AX720 headphones. Please let us know when you buy new ones, to give some impressions about surround sound difference.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #3,675 of 48,566
So I sold the DT 770 Pro 80s, as much as the positioning impressed me, overall they were just too muddy, as soon as anything hectic happened the positioning went right out the window, they just didn't wow me lol.

I also got rid of my CALs, although I do enjoy them they just barely ever got used, no point in keeping them around.

The only headphones I have atm are the HFI 780s and although I LOVE them for music, they are just too harsh sounding in DH for me, that and they are pretty uncomfortable, although the positioning/imaging is nice. Just wish they weren't as harsh.

Anyone tried the Pro 900s with the Mixamp? thinking about upgrading from the 780s and using the Pro 900s for music as well, would just love a can that I can enjoy with music and gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back