Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #3,631 of 48,566
OIC.

Damn it guys, I think I'm just gonna say the hell with it and get a Burson HA 160 DS for my D7000. I didn't want a huge footprint, which is why i didn't get the Audio-GD setup. I'm due a refund soon, and I think I'm gonna go with the Burson for the all in one solution.

I was about to splurge on the DAC Mini, but I hear the Burson has better PRAT and quicker bass. Things that the D7000 could benefit from.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3,632 of 48,566
Quote:
Technically a card could convert the stereo 5.1 Dolby Digital into dolby headphone (stereo) and then bypass the analog out and keep the stereo signal digital, thus letting another dac turn the digital stereo dolby headphone signal into analog.  I don't know of any that do that though. 

I thought it was a licensing thing where the card is paying dolby for the tech and in return dolby want the device to tie the DSP to the analog out to prevent people getting the DH signal digitally and outputting  other devices.

Wow.  ******* of the highest order.  Time to look in to driver hacking...

Quote:
I don't see how DH can turn back to basic stereo. For all intents and purposes, a converted Dolby Headphone audio signal will just read as stereo for every device after it. Or am I missing something here?

It doesn't.  The difference between stereo and Dolby Headphone or any binaural DSP or recording is just how the signal is mixed.  All of them are just two channels of sound.  For DH 6 or 8 channels go in and 2 come out.  Nothing in the chain except your ears and brain can or needs to tell the difference.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #3,634 of 48,566
Quote:
OIC.
Damn it guys, I think I'm just gonna say the hell with it and get a Burson HA 160 DS for my D7000. I didn't want a huge footprint, which is why i didn't get the Audio-GD setup. I'm due a refund soon, and I think I'm gonna go with the Burson for the all in one solution.
I was about to splurge on the DAC Mini, but I hear the Burson has better PRAT and quicker bass. Things that the D7000 could benefit from.

You're sure changing your mind a lot.  I'd wait for the ODA and ODAC.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #3,635 of 48,566
You're sure changing your mind a lot.  I'd wait for the ODA and ODAC.

Me and waiting.... ARGH, not sure I can hold out. And then I'd only buy those pre-made.

But yeah, I'll wait and see.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #3,636 of 48,566

Quote:
I was just saying that theoretically you could go 5.1 Dolby Digital  > stereo Dolby Headphone (still digital signal)> output DH processed digital stereo signal to another DAC to convert to analog stereo.

I don't think you could remove the DH processing from a signal though...

This sounds like what the Smyth Realiser can do (yes, it has an S/PDIF output precisely for use with DACs), and what X-Fi cards for PCs can do (although it's CMSS-3D Headphone instead of Dolby Headphone, it still achieves the same end)!

Word is that Xonar cards won't allow DH-processed S/PDIF due to driver shortsightedness, though. I don't know if this extends to other C-Media cards, like those from HT Omega and Auzentech.

Oh, by the way, MLE-you've inspired me to write a guide of my own, more tailored toward figuring out the nuances of PC gaming audio. It points here for headphone gaming advice due to my general lack of headphone experience. I hope you don't mind that.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #3,637 of 48,566
No way, I'm sure that would help the Headf-fi crowd more, as I'm pretty sure that most gamers here are actually PC gamers instead of console gamers. This thread and pms has proven that to me, as I feel I get asked more PC related questions than console related ones.

I look forward to your thread. :)

Though honestly, I think you'd get a LOT more hits doing it in this section, as I'm certain most non-regulars see the full-sized section as the main Head-fi section. I know it makes more sense there, but people look for both headphone and audio device advice in this section. =/

edit: I've also added a link to your page on my first post in nice bolded words. :D

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #3,638 of 48,566
I appreciate the extra coverage, and also thought to revise my guide a little to make my link to your article more prominent via bold text.

After all, our goal is largely the same-help people enjoy gaming audio more, gaining both immersion from the sense of surround sound and a competitive edge! Doesn't matter what platform it's on, since most of the same principles apply to both.

I thought about putting it in this subforum as well, but thought that as a guide to better understanding just how PC gaming audio works more than anything, it belongs in Computer Audio. Otherwise, people might also think it's yet another gaming headphone guide that overlaps with this one.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #3,639 of 48,566
Makes sense. I'll definitely be recommending the thread to anyone who asks about PC related stuff. You have my thanks.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3,640 of 48,566
Quote:
Me and waiting.... ARGH, not sure I can hold out. And then I'd only buy those pre-made.
But yeah, I'll wait and see.

Well JDS Labs will probably have version of it.  You've held on to the E9 for a long time.  I don't know how much of that is just price, but if its because you like a pretty clean and transparent amp then you'll probably like the O2/ODA.

I haven't heard the E9 but it measure pretty well and would be fairly universal if it wasn't for the 10 ohms output impedance.  The O2 is even cleaner and it puts out about the same power as the E9 into loads above about 50 ohms or so.

I've heard bad things about the Burson's measurements.  I haven't seen any specific numbers but they use those odd discrete op amps like Audio GD and the ones that have been measured got some pretty bad results and their website is full of some questionable engineering claims.  Centrance generally makes much better design choices.  The Burson is superior in one area which would explain the bass reports.  The DACmini has a 10 ohm output impedance and the Burson has 5.6.  For an extra hundred dollars Centrance will reduce it to 1 ohm.

The DACmini is good pretty much everywhere else though.  Stereophile recently measured it.  Its USB interface is really good, outperforming the optical input by a large margin.  Most of that's probably below what you can actually hear anyway but it should make the DACmini tolerant of even the crappiest USB ports without audible side effects.  Since they're both designed to be transparent  I doubt you'd be able to hear much difference between a DACmini modded to 1 ohm output impedance and the ODA/ODAC combo.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #3,641 of 48,566
How about the power on the DACMini? I want a fairly universal amp, but wonder how it handles headphones ranging from the D7000 to 600ohm Beyers.

I would definitely spend the extra $100 for the 1ohm output impedance. I just want a great all in one. I don't wanna buy any other equipment after this. (Headzone aside). the D7000 is gonna be my main, and I plan on keeping it that way. I would consider the T1, but that's a dream best kept for later.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #3,642 of 48,566
After converting the voltages on their website

690mW @ 32 ohm

240mW @ 300 ohm

132mW @ 600 ohm

That's more than the E9 into 300 and 600 ohm loads and more than the O2 all around.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3,643 of 48,566
OOH, OOH. :D

I like those numbers. The DacMini just might be what I put my money on.

We'll see what happens. They sell it on Amazon which ideal for me, but they don't have the mods... oh well.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #3,644 of 48,566

Quote:
Though honestly, I think you'd get a LOT more hits doing it in this section, as I'm certain most non-regulars see the full-sized section as the main Head-fi section. I know it makes more sense there, but people look for both headphone and audio device advice in this section. =/

I think the forum section probably won't matter as much, because I assume most people end up in this thread because they either searched and found it or were linked here from another page. 

NamelessPFG you might want to add some more keyword in the thread title for google like "headphone", "surround sound", etc...

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #3,645 of 48,566
Quote:
OOH, OOH.
biggrin.gif

I like those numbers. The DacMini just might be what I put my money on.
We'll see what happens. They sell it on Amazon which ideal for me, but they don't have the mods... oh well.

I double checked and the E9 is stronger into 32 ohm loads but weaker into the 300 and 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back