Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #3,616 of 48,566
Has anyone here played Crysis 2?  It's got pretty cool audio.  When you activate the suit the voice that comes from it is supposed to sound like it's coming from a helmet your wearing - kind of sounds like it's coming from behind you.  Also whenever you turn the suit functions on and off you get pretty deep bass rumble that sounds cool.

I assume Crysis 1 is the same, I need to download that and play it next time I get money.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #3,618 of 48,566
Interesting. How much is it in US currency?

As for what I'm going to do... looks like I'm definitely going with the Objective O2 amp, and probably the Fiio E17 as my DAC. Gonna save me a LOT of money in the long run.

I'm really liking the stuff NwAv has said... sounds like a guy to trust. :D

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #3,619 of 48,566
He's coming out with a desktop amp design with a 1/4 inch plug soonish, like in February, and it can also can integrate a DAC.  

And more playing Dirt 2 using Rapture3D has convinced me that rapture 3D is really good.  

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #3,620 of 48,566
So it's coming out that soon? Hmm, perhaps I'll wait. My thing is, I want it pre-made. I'm not into DIY. I could get a pre-made O2 from JDS Labs, but in all honesty, the desktop version is worth waiting for. Desktop DAC/AMP... oh yeah.

My effing E7's proprietary jack (where it docks to the E9 and connects the L7) is messed up. The L7 is 100% unusable with my E7 as it hisses/hums like crazy unless I hold it in a weird way. When docked to the E9, a slight nudge of my desk causes it to go haywire and lose a channel and other issues. I need an upgrade, asap. :frowning2:

Using the D3 now, but while it does sound better to me than the E7, it also has fuller bass, which isn't exactly ideal for the D7000. Perhaps I'll just use the E7 through USB with the D7000 for now.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3,621 of 48,566
Hey MLE, is the bass on D7000 too much for music like this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJ_SLojrsI

thankss

I can't make a guess about that because my current system doesnt have bass at all.

I'm thinking of buying d7k and titaniumHD soundcard off amazon but im not really sure if they'll even ship to europe...somewhere on the site I read they will ship electronics with priority shipping that costs 30€ and somewhere they said they won't ship electronics outside US.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #3,622 of 48,566
MMMM Volbeat so tasty. I wonder if the D7000 are just plain fast enough to handle Anders bass lines. I would hope for that price it would though.

Quote:
Hey MLE, is the bass on D7000 too much for music like this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJ_SLojrsI

thankss

I can't make a guess about that because my current system doesnt have bass at all.

I'm thinking of buying d7k and titaniumHD soundcard off amazon but im not really sure if they'll even ship to europe...somewhere on the site I read they will ship electronics with priority shipping that costs 30€ and somewhere they said they won't ship electronics outside US.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3,623 of 48,566
I'll take a look later. The D7000's bass is awesome. Never overwhelming, just that the D3 adds more bass which doesn't play to the D7000's strengths.

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #3,624 of 48,566
I was wondering if I buy a soundcard with DH and run that through an amp/dac will the output still be able to be surround sound? I was planning on just going the xonar dg with Beyerdynamic DT 880/AKG Q701 (lets just assume a Fiio e9 + d3 for the sake of argument).

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #3,625 of 48,566

Quote:
I was wondering if I buy a soundcard with DH and run that through an amp/dac will the output still be able to be surround sound? I was planning on just going the xonar dg with Beyerdynamic DT 880/AKG Q701 (lets just assume a Fiio e9 + d3 for the sake of argument).

Once the soundcard converts it to dolby headphone, you have keep the signal analog.  Dobly headphone is strictly an analog signal and is tied to the analog stage of whatever device (mixamp, soundcard, reciever, etc)  . You can't chain DACs together.  You can amp your soundcard, although you may not need to.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3,626 of 48,566
Quote:
Once the soundcard converts it to dolby headphone, you have keep the signal analog.  Dobly headphone is strictly an analog signal and is tied to the analog stage of whatever device (mixamp, soundcard, reciever, etc)  . You can't chain DACs together.  You can amp your soundcard, although you may not need to.

That just isn't true.  Do they not make cards that actually let you do that?  If so they're just screwing you over because there's no technical limitation that prevents it.

After its processed by the dolby headphone DSP its not any different from any other 2 channel signal.  The D in DSP is digital.  Its not some complicated analog circuit.  The 6 or 8 channels of surround sound are converted in a 2 channel signal digitally and then fed to a DAC chip whether its in your soundcard, receiver, or mixamp.   Besides there not being an option in the drivers to actually do it there is no reason it couldn't be output as 2 channel PCM over S/PDIF to the DAC or your choice.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #3,627 of 48,566

Once Dolby Headphone has been added to the audio chain, it will remain there. After it has been added, any extra parts to the audio chain may alter the sound a little, for better or worse, but it will still be DH.

As a crazy test, I did DH through the Mixamp, then to the E7, then to the E9. Dolby Headphone was still there, albeit in triple amped goodness. :D

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,628 of 48,566

Quote:
That just isn't true.  Do they not make cards that actually let you do that?  If so they're just screwing you over because there's no technical limitation that prevents it.

After its processed by the dolby headphone DSP its not any different from any other 2 channel signal.  The D in DSP is digital.  Its not some complicated analog circuit.  The 6 or 8 channels of surround sound are converted in a 2 channel signal digitally and then fed to a DAC chip whether its in your soundcard, receiver, or mixamp.   Besides there not being an option in the drivers to actually do it there is no reason it couldn't be output as 2 channel PCM over S/PDIF to the DAC or your choice.

Technically a card could convert the stereo 5.1 Dolby Digital into dolby headphone (stereo) and then bypass the analog out and keep the stereo signal digital, thus letting another dac turn the digital stereo dolby headphone signal into analog.  I don't know of any that do that though. 

I thought it was a licensing thing where the card is paying dolby for the tech and in return dolby want the device to tie the DSP to the analog out to prevent people getting the DH signal digitally and outputting  other devices.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #3,629 of 48,566
I don't see how DH can turn back to basic stereo. For all intents and purposes, a converted Dolby Headphone audio signal will just read as stereo for every device after it. Or am I missing something here?

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #3,630 of 48,566

Quote:
I don't see how DH can turn back to basic stereo. For all intents and purposes, a converted Dolby Headphone audio signal will just read as stereo for every device after it. Or am I missing something here?

I was just saying that theoretically you could go 5.1 Dolby Digital  > stereo Dolby Headphone (still digital signal)> output DH processed digital stereo signal to another DAC to convert to analog stereo.

I don't think you could remove the DH processing from a signal though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back