Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 17, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #35,957 of 48,583
Only questions for me would be the sound quality, soundstage, and if the pads could be switched. Open headphones, sweet price point, assumed sound signature (X1 like?), Boombro compatible, and portability are what intrigues me for gaming. Portability is the only thing I was missing on my modded 9500, which made me not mind selling it.

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #35,958 of 48,583
Finally got to see the headphones Change was talking about. Definitely look X1-inspired, at least aesthetically. Who knows what Lasmex's interpretation of "natural" sounds like? I thought the X1 didn't sound natural (but it was fun!), and more to the point people widely disagree what sounds "natural," so I can't guess what they'll sound like. Probably competent.

The pleather pads may or may not bother me. I've had mostly bad experiences with leather-like padding getting sticky, BUT I have tried softer, squishier pads (Oppo PM-3, Creative Aurvana Platinum, ZMF standard and lambskin pads, MrSpeakers Ether) which I liked alright and I could see the hygienic/durability benefits. I still prefer velour though, for example I used all the pads of the Oppo PM-2 for testing, but long term and simply for enjoyment I tended to stick to the very comfortable Velour pads there.

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #35,959 of 48,583
I'd consider it as a replacement to my 9500 for gaming, but only if I could change the pads. Velours are a must for long sessions.

Until then I'll be using the 400i a lot more. Not necessarily a bad thing I guess haha! :D

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #35,960 of 48,583
Found this list, don't know how accurate it will be.
http://www.nextgenhometheater.com/dtsx-blu-ray-movies/

I'll be curious to hear MLE's opinion on how it sounds with the hard coding on the disk?

No lie, I rented multiple of those movies on that list, and I didn't even bother checking for this. I left it on default. :'(

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #35,961 of 48,583
You live and you learn, now it should be easy for you to try it going forward if you want!

I'd consider it as a replacement to my 9500 for gaming, but only if I could change the pads. Velours are a must for long sessions.

Until then I'll be using the 400i a lot more. Not necessarily a bad thing I guess haha! :D

Glad you still have a headphone, at least! And the HE400i is no chump!

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #35,962 of 48,583
TH-X00 an 400i for now. By the tame I get some extra mulah I'd still like a dedicated budget gaming headphone to limit the wear and tear on the big boys. Hopefully the Lasmex gets good reviews.

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #35,963 of 48,583
Only questions for me would be the sound quality, soundstage, and if the pads could be switched. Open headphones, sweet price point, assumed sound signature (X1 like?), Boombro compatible, and portability are what intrigues me for gaming. Portability is the only thing I was missing on my modded 9500, which made me not mind selling it.

What mod you did on ur 9500? 
duggehsmile.png

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #35,966 of 48,583
Right now I'm satisfied with my hd558s.
Ordering a pair of xiaomi piston 3s for my portables, will probably upgrade to a set of planars or the X2 after I get more stable though.

I own the Piston 3s; they're quite an achievement for ~$15, but they are pretty V-shaped, with recessed mids. You might want to look at something more neutral for gaming. But you probably won't do better unless you bump up your budget a bit.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #35,967 of 48,583
I own the Piston 3s; they're quite an achievement for ~$15, but they are pretty V-shaped, with recessed mids. You might want to look at something more neutral for gaming. But you probably won't do better unless you bump up your budget a bit.
$15? I paid $26 for mine.
I thought the piston 3s where more neutral in comparison to the piston 2s and hybrids.

Also are foam tips worth the investment? I don't like how silicone feels in my ears.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #35,968 of 48,583
$15? I paid $26 for mine.
I thought the piston 3s where more neutral in comparison to the piston 2s and hybrids.

Also are foam tips worth the investment? I don't like how silicone feels in my ears.

I'm not the best person to ask about foam tips - I have trouble with them. The other thing to note is that the stock tips on Piston 3s are junk: Super soft, not durable and difficult to get a good seal with.

Sony hybrid tips are often recommended, but maybe you should ask in the piston 3 thread, as most of us like over-ears for gaming, so we have less collective knowledge about budge iems here.

Good luck!

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #35,969 of 48,583
I'm not the best person to ask about foam tips - I have trouble with them. The other thing to note is that the stock tips on Piston 3s are junk: Super soft, not durable and difficult to get a good seal with.

Sony hybrid tips are often recommended, but maybe you should ask in the piston 3 thread, as most of us like over-ears for gaming, so we have less collective knowledge about budge iems here.

Good luck!
Okay thanks, one more thing how do you wear your pistons, wrapped around your ear or normal?

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #35,970 of 48,583
most of us like over-ears for gaming

I tried a pair of cheap in ears a couple of days ago. With the Mixamp, I found the directional cues were very good. I'm just not a fan of these particular earphones (Panasonic RP-TCM125).

I was looking for something cheap and some site had reviewed them as their best budget in ear. The Amazon (UK) reviews seemed to be unanimously positive (at the time) regarding the sound quality (a couple of complaints about the durability/build quality though) so I took the plunge. I don't know if mine are defective (though I'm thinking not as the sound is the same in both ears) but I find the bass to be atrociously bad. Not the amount of bass, but it completely lacks any definition. For example, a bass line that you'd describe vocally as bom bom bom just becomes mmm mmm mmm. The only other set of in ears I've tried were the Skullcandy Jibs that I picked up at an airport for about £7 (as I don't own any on ears and the ear buds I got with my PSP were garbage). Despite not being as nice in the mids, the bass was so much better. Kind of wish I'd not given them to my brother.

I'd like to try in ears again but I don't know what to go for. Amazon UK reviews seem to completely contradict the majority of sources dedicated to headphone reviews. In fact, the one brand that gets consistently (very) good reviews is Betron. I can find no info about them from any reputable sources and a post I made here on Head-Fi got no replies when I asked if anyone had heard of them/tried them. Seems weird that a company that appears to be dominating in the amount and the positivity of their reviews is not acknowledged in the slightest by any sites dedicated to audio (even if just to debunk the notion that they are any good). Personally, I'm not keen on the idea of purchasing something from a brand that I've never heard of with no information about them from a respectable source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back