Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 29, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #35,506 of 48,583
Like? Overrated a bit but it satisfies most gamers needs so far, even with music. However, the X1 is now underlooked and I think the x1 favors immersion a bit more than the X2. X1 for music seems to favor it more than the X2, especially for EDM, where you let the bass drop lol

I'll only mention the ones I had in the same time window as the X2. I much preferred the HP150 side by by side, and then the K7XX shortly after. Maybe it's just my preferences in an open headphone. The X2 was boring, honestly. It played things TOO safe, not to mention the less than average soundstage. I've heard closed headphones with more space and instrument separation.

The X1, on the other hand, I liked. It knew what it wanted to be. The soundstage was even wider.

I understand convenience for gamers, but honestly the SHP9500 would be a better choice. Different sound, but no loss in quality. As safe as the X2 plays it, it's sound quality does not fit it's asking price.

May 29, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #35,508 of 48,583
I'm trying to move away from Toslink and to HDMI. I run q701's from a Schiit Magni 2 that's connected to a Behringer 802 mixer from Turtle Beach's DSS. I was wondering what's the best/ least expensive way to get LPCM from my PS4 to my headphones. I want to be able to keep separate game and audio chat.. so say I run HDMI to AVR, hp output 3.5mm from the AVR to the DSS analog input, then I get to keep the Sabrent sound card function to separate chat/game audio through the mixer with 5.1/7.1 channels of uncompressed audio still? Maybe I'm over thinking it. I'm hoping you can help me! :) thanks.

May 30, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #35,509 of 48,583
I'll only mention the ones I had in the same time window as the X2. I much preferred the HP150 side by by side, and then the K7XX shortly after. Maybe it's just my preferences in an open headphone. The X2 was boring, honestly. It played things TOO safe, not to mention the less than average soundstage. I've heard closed headphones with more space and instrument separation.

The X1, on the other hand, I liked. It knew what it wanted to be. The soundstage was even wider.

I understand convenience for gamers, but honestly the SHP9500 would be a better choice. Different sound, but no loss in quality. As safe as the X2 plays it, it's sound quality does not fit it's asking price.

Yeah, I think I could agree to that. I still have an X1 that I bought when it was 140 dollars. I still have it in its box and everything lol....well I opened it when it first arrived just to check if everything was good with the headphone, probably used it for 10 hours and put it back into its box and have kept using the x2 ever since. I also have the K7XX and while being within the same price range, the K7XX does perform better or suits my tasted better than the X2. Only reason I choose the X2 over my K7XX is the convenience of having a boom pro and the bass being havier on the X2 while keeping a neutral sound signature. And I think thats what the X2 was trying to get to all along..trying to sound like the HD600 but still falls short of that, although I guess there is always some sort of compromise with any headphone.

But honestly, paying 300 for the x2 isnt in my opinion, not really worth it but for 200 or less, its probably still a good option.

May 30, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #35,511 of 48,583
Starburp,
That wiring setup seems... Convoluted. First of all, if you want surround processing, you have to do it during the digital stage (or have a different analog connection for each direction, think an RCA cable but instead of two plugs you have 5 or 7). Connecting a 3.5mm cable from your AVR to the DSS wouldn't improve anything.

If you feel like using LPCM and HDMI, you'll need either
A.) a receiver with headphone surround processing built-in, like my Yamaha or an older Marantz AVR with Dolby Headphone. In this case you'd connect the AVR's headphone output and game console's chat output to your mixer, your mixer to an amp, and amp to your Q701. Fun?

B.) Buy a surround processor with HDMI, the only one I can think of is the Smyth Realizer A8. Apparently, it's the 8th man made wonder of the world. Also, Smyth is releasing a newer A16 unit in the near future, street price expected around $1500.

C.) give up on LPCM, and get a surround processor with a better DAC (that still uses SPDIF/optical). The two units I can think of are the Beyerdynamic Headzone and the Creative X7. The upside of these is you get an all-in-one without need for your Behringer or Schiit.

Let's get back to the core reason for your question: optical vs LPCM. Why do you want a new option? Better perceived quality. I can tell you now that Optical still has untapped quality potential above what you're getting from your current setup, and that Optical isn't the weakest part of your audio chain (and hooking up an AVR like you described would probably net you a WORSE sound than you already have). Improvements in DAC, amp, and headphones will make a greater impact than LPCM over HDMI.

I have had a DSS for a year, an AVR (Yamaha) with LPCM and built-in headphone surround processing, a Creative X7, and a ton of other processors and setups over the years, and I can tell you from personal long-term testing that an X7 + Q701 > AVR + Q701. I have a friend who uses a DSS2 + Cavalli Liquid Carbon ($800 amp) + Sennheiser HD800 ($1400 headphone), and his setup still was able to eke out better performance than his older setup (recon3D + garage1214 tube amp + Q701).

I haven't tried the Headzone or Smyth YET, but, again, optical isn't the limiting factor of your setup.

May 30, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #35,512 of 48,583
There's still also the Sony MDR-MA900 :)

Yeah LMAO, he owns one! Doesn't use it either though. Slowly becoming a headphone collector... which, if that gives him pleasure, is no bad thing!

May 30, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #35,513 of 48,583
There's still also the Sony MDR-MA900
smily_headphones1.gif

+1

Wish they would make an updated version... 
frown.gif

May 30, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #35,514 of 48,583
Starburp,
That wiring setup seems... Convoluted. First of all, if you want surround processing, you have to do it during the digital stage (or have a different analog connection for each direction, think an RCA cable but instead of two plugs you have 5 or 7). Connecting a 3.5mm cable from your AVR to the DSS wouldn't improve anything.

If you feel like using LPCM and HDMI, you'll need either
A.) a receiver with headphone surround processing built-in, like my Yamaha or an older Marantz AVR with Dolby Headphone. In this case you'd connect the AVR's headphone output and game console's chat output to your mixer, your mixer to an amp, and amp to your Q701. Fun?

B.) Buy a surround processor with HDMI, the only one I can think of is the Smyth Realizer A8. Apparently, it's the 8th man made wonder of the world. Also, Smyth is releasing a newer A16 unit in the near future, street price expected around $1500.

C.) give up on LPCM, and get a surround processor with a better DAC (that still uses SPDIF/optical). The two units I can think of are the Beyerdynamic Headzone and the Creative X7. The upside of these is you get an all-in-one without need for your Behringer or Schiit.

Let's get back to the core reason for your question: optical vs LPCM. Why do you want a new option? Better perceived quality. I can tell you now that Optical still has untapped quality potential above what you're getting from your current setup, and that Optical isn't the weakest part of your audio chain (and hooking up an AVR like you described would probably net you a WORSE sound than you already have). Improvements in DAC, amp, and headphones will make a greater impact than LPCM over HDMI.

I have had a DSS for a year, an AVR (Yamaha) with LPCM and built-in headphone surround processing, a Creative X7, and a ton of other processors and setups over the years, and I can tell you from personal long-term testing that an X7 + Q701 > AVR + Q701. I have a friend who uses a DSS2 + Cavalli Liquid Carbon ($800 amp) + Sennheiser HD800 ($1400 headphone), and his setup still was able to eke out better performance than his older setup (recon3D + garage1214 tube amp + Q701).

I haven't tried the Headzone or Smyth YET, but, again, optical isn't the limiting factor of your setup.

Does the dss2 offer a line out of some sort?

May 30, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #35,515 of 48,583
Evshrug

Thanks for the reply
Sorry, maybe I was being too vague at the risk of sounding trite. The only reason I would keep the DSS (or Dss2; I have both) is because of the USB sound card, giving me the capability to seperate game and chat audio as the chat and mic (FX send in this case) run from the USB SC and the game volume runs from the actual HPHONE port.I would most def be running it on bypass for the sole purpose of said reason via analog. I ocasionally like to stream, play DJ, have seperate game/chat inputs, and be able to control my side note & mic volume from the panel so the mixer is a must and the DSS is the only way I know how to seperate them properly. As for the AVR I was looking at a Marantz SR 6xxx on ebay that was enticing for around $300. I would be running Lpcm from the ps4 and decoding from the marantz.

To answer your main question I want multiple channels of lossless goodness. It would also be nice to have a good receiver for when my girlfriend and I move in together at the end of June to establish home theater.
X7 sounds great and all but I can't go back to bitstream as I'm running stereo Linear at the moment and even that sounds 100 better than D(B). Also, may have mathed up my opt in on the PS4 moving the console back and forth so often.. I get weird clicky noises acompanied by parallel distortion ocassionally, usually in a pause menu or scrolling in the PS store. Tried changing the toslink, turned the volume down on all aparatuses, switch between DAC's, changed all my mixer wires, ect...

May 31, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #35,517 of 48,583
Yeah LMAO, he owns one! Doesn't use it either though. Slowly becoming a headphone collector... which, if that gives him pleasure, is no bad thing!

Lol I do have one and it is a great headphone but I dont know why I baby it so much.

Im just afraid of breaking it or something because its very lightweight and feels fragile at times.

Seriously, one time I stepped on the cable and I barely, just barely moved to the point of where I could barely feel the MA900 move a bit and stopped suddenly.

After that incident, I just havent used it.

It is so comfortable though...

May 31, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #35,518 of 48,583
X7 finally gets SBX over optical and line out

Noted in the new update of the iOS app

May 31, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #35,519 of 48,583
X7 finally gets SBX over optical and line out

Noted in the new update of the iOS app

What! When? I don't have an iDevice what do I do?
I assuem it's going to be a software/FW update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back