Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 2, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #35,161 of 48,583
I have no experience of them but I fail to see how something so small can offer anywhere near the experience of over or even on ear headphones. I've seen some that cost so much I wonder if they even sell any.

Ok, so think about it this way:
Balanced armatures (the most common drivers in IEMs) are like miniature planar drivers. They're very small and super efficient, so you don't need powerful amps to power them with authority and tight tight control. And then, the more expensive ones will have three or more (I've seen 12!) different BAs that are specially tuned to play a dedicated range of frequencies really well, so you might have one BA tuned to play highs, one for mids, and another BA (or Dynamic driver) play the lows. Sometimes different frequencies are separated to play through different tubes right up until they reach your ear canal.

The result of this is almost no bleeding-over effect, and stunning clarity and detail. Clarity helps your ear and brain distinguish between a sound that happened at a distance right in front of your face, and a sound that happened 20' away, slightly to the left. Imaging, the sense of a sound's direction, and separation, the sense of two different instruments not blending together into one, both are greatly enhanced by the clarity and resolution of a headphone.

If you get to hear one of the crazy, $1k+ IEMs, you'll realize they go toe-to-toe with summit-fi stuff like the HD800 or Stax SR-009. Do not underestimate the power of the inside earphones.

Hmm similar performance, all in one, alot cheaper then going for a modi Uber and magni setup, USB powered?
Unless I find something better for my needs (going to look up the E5 since I play handheld games as well) I'll probably go with the G5.

Yeah, the E5 sometimes goes on sale, slickdeals that ****!

May 2, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #35,162 of 48,583
Ok, so think about it this way:
Balanced armatures (the most common drivers in IEMs) are like miniature planar drivers. They're very small and super efficient, so you don't need powerful amps to power them with authority and tight tight control. And then, the more expensive ones will have three or more (I've seen 12!) different BAs that are specially tuned to play a dedicated range of frequencies really well, so you might have one BA tuned to play highs, one for mids, and another BA (or Dynamic driver) play the lows. Sometimes different frequencies are separated to play through different tubes right up until they reach your ear canal.

The result of this is almost no bleeding-over effect, and stunning clarity and detail. Clarity helps your ear and brain distinguish between a sound that happened at a distance right in front of your face, and a sound that happened 20' away, slightly to the left. Imaging, the sense of a sound's direction, and separation, the sense of two different instruments not blending together into one, both are greatly enhanced by the clarity and resolution of a headphone.

Has anyone tested something in between the bargain bin & flagship IEMs? Something which would stand toe-to-toe with the AD700 or K712 in pricing? At most you'd get 2 BA per channel in that range.

My original question was based on a $10 pair of throwaway Sonys from way back in the day. Immersion was very impressive as well as basic positioning, it took virtual surround and fullsized open cans to match it. It was bad in every other way, yet maybe a $200 pair wouldn't be nor would it sound as anemic as a recommended overear from the newer Realtek codecs.

May 2, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #35,163 of 48,583
Priced between $100 and $300? Uh, yeah, tons of IEM options in that price range, many 3-way IEMs. Not that 2-way are bad. I really liked the RHA lineup, even the $50 S500i was impressive but the T20i is awesome (plus 3 year warranty, tuning filter) at like...$229. Alclair Curve IEMs are awesome and quite comfortable. I haven't heard the Audio Technica IEMs around $100-$150, but apparently they are awesome as well, especially the red ones.

May 3, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #35,165 of 48,583
So the only way to get Modern Warfare Remaster is by purchasing the new one? Damn. Looks like I'll be skipping yet another COD this year. I was kind of interested because COD 4 and World at War are what got me into FPSs.

If EA and DICE half-ass the new BF like they did Hardline and Battlefront I may have to give up on all shooters in general.

May 3, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #35,166 of 48,583
Or... you can buy the game, swipe the code for the remaster, and sell the new one. Done.

Unless Activision has it where you can only play the Remaster through Infinite Warfare's menu. Then it's an issue.

If you have Prime, the game is $67 atm. CoD4 is worth that, at least.

May 3, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #35,167 of 48,583
I don't want it THAT much to end up having to pay $40 for it. The market will be flooded with copies of the new one from people doing the same thing. Nah, I'm good.

I'm just hoping the next BF goes historic. There are way too many sci-fi right now, so my wishes for a 2143 title from DICE have come and gone. Something like WW2 or Vietnam would be refreshing.

May 3, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #35,168 of 48,583
Knowing Activision, they'll release a digital only version down the line after they are content with sales from the new one. They are just a cancer to gaming, honestly. They set marketing trends that other publishers mimic (looking at you, EA and Ubisoft) at the expense of gamers. It's why I don't even have the slightest interest in Overwatch.

May 3, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #35,169 of 48,583
Who'd have thought that WWII of all things would seem like a breath of fresh air in the FPS market? I still remember how overdone it was when BF1942 first released amongst all the Medal of Honor and Call of Duty at the time.

At any rate, I'm wondering what the heck a CoD4 remaster would offer to PC gamers. We already have a version that runs at whatever resolution we want, allows for leaning and dedicated servers, supports mods, etc. until CoD:MW2 took all that away and got rightfully called out on all of it.

If anything, it's more for getting CoD4 on the PS4 and Xbox One, if I had to guess. Neither console has any real backwards compatibility.

May 3, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #35,170 of 48,583
Yeah man. Who would have thought, right? It was a flood of WW2 shooters for a while, then modern, now sci-fi. It's time to restart the cycle and go historic with all the development capabilities of today. That's why a WW2 themed shooter would be refreshing.

There is so much that can be done with it nowadays that couldn't back then.

May 3, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #35,171 of 48,583
  At any rate, I'm wondering what the heck a CoD4 remaster would offer to PC gamers. We already have a version that runs at whatever resolution we want, allows for leaning and dedicated servers, supports mods, etc. until CoD:MW2 took all that away and got rightfully called out on all of it.

If anything, it's more for getting CoD4 on the PS4 and Xbox One, if I had to guess. Neither console has any real backwards compatibility.

well, with Codename Neo and most likely MS as well we'll have FC/BC from now on

May 3, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #35,172 of 48,583
The Remaster is not a simple resolution bump. Volumetric fog, dynamic lighting, whole new graphical assets, physical based rendering, etc. It is a proper remaster.

here's a video that shows before and afters.

https://www.facebook.com/401883713352009/videos/499894756884237/?fref=nf

Who'd have thought that WWII of all things would seem like a breath of fresh air in the FPS market? I still remember how overdone it was when BF1942 first released amongst all the Medal of Honor and Call of Duty at the time.

May 3, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #35,173 of 48,583
from the few screenshots I saw it's almost a remake, it really looks damn good and I'm excited just for the singleplayer campaign.

May 3, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #35,174 of 48,583
Has anyone tested something in between the bargain bin & flagship IEMs? Something which would stand toe-to-toe with the AD700 or K712 in pricing? At most you'd get 2 BA per channel in that range.

My original question was based on a $10 pair of throwaway Sonys from way back in the day. Immersion was very impressive as well as basic positioning, it took virtual surround and fullsized open cans to match it. It was bad in every other way, yet maybe a $200 pair wouldn't be nor would it sound as anemic as a recommended overear from the newer Realtek codecs.

I recommend the FLC8S. the best IEM on quality / price ratio

May 3, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #35,175 of 48,583
It seems like the Turtle Beach T.A.C. is finally being released soon. Sometime in June hopefully
biggrin.gif
http://www.turtlebeach.com/elite-pro-headsets
http://www.dexerto.com/news/2016/05/03/optic-gaming-turtlebeach-headset-sponsor-elite/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back