Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 3, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #34,801 of 48,566
Evs, you or anyone know what is the SBX equivalent to the U3 that send the dsp through its optical out? I'd have mentioned it, but since I don't know what devices they are, I default to saying the U3 for DH, and similar devices for SBX or CMSS-3D.

I assume for SBX it's the X-fi GO, but not sure it transmits SBX through the optical, or if it even has an optical out to begin with.

As for the Kannon.... if it uses a modified M50 driver... that is already a bad sign for gaming in virtual surround. The M50's soundstage is mediocre at best. Already starting off bad.

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #34,802 of 48,566
Ultimate headphone surround = Smyth Realizer. That thing is an all-in-one, with HDMI and other inputs, head-tracking for basically Audio VR, a great DAC, amp, and other goodies. You actually calibrate it when you buy by going to a theater (or something) and have Smyth techs put a mic in your ear, and they record how YOUR ear hears sounds coming from different angles and make that be the algorithm for changing surround content. Hyper realistic. And pretty well over $1k I think

Darin Fong's Out-Of-Your-Head gaming preset achieves very similar results and it's a software solution. However, unlike Razer Surround, it's really great. Here, try it out:
https://fongaudio.com/

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #34,803 of 48,566
As for the Kannon.... if it uses a modified M50 driver... that is already a bad sign for gaming in virtual surround. The M50's soundstage is mediocre at best. Already starting off bad.

I had the same skepticism about the headphones as a whole. The price is an even bigger turn off.

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #34,804 of 48,566
I think your best bet is to buy a used pair of the X2's on the classifieds here at headfi.
Most of your quality concerns will be on the original buyer and they will sound good off your phone. Not to mention you may save a few bucks....oh yeah easy to add a mic too.

If u didn't like the dt770 treble, you for sure won't like the 990's. If you are concerned about bass on the k712's for music there probably won't be enough. And while the Hifiman 400S are great sounding headphones you may find the soundstage and positioning lacking.

Just my 2 cents

These were my exact thoughts... 

I'm not all that keen on getting a second hand set (and I'd be waiting ages for one to come up). They're currently on Amazon for £165, which is very cheap. Not sure whether to take the plunge and see if I get a good set or not...

In your general price range, I'll have to say that X2s are probably your best bet, or maybe a pair of K7XXs.

Personally, I would say save up for the K712s if bass isn't an issue.

Yeah, I might see if I can have a listen to the K712's somewhere, just to see if the lack of bass would be a problem for me...

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #34,805 of 48,566
K712 isn't bass light by any means. Unless you want to be a basshead, K712 has good bass.

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #34,806 of 48,566
K712 isn't bass light by any means. Unless you want to be a basshead, K712 has good bass.

Well then, I guess I'll have to give them a try... Alongside the HE400S I guess.

I have the same fear of fatiguing treble with the HE400S as I do the 990 though, that coupled with worse imaging and I'm not sure they'll be what I'm after.

Would you also reiterate that the X2's would be the perfect choice?

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #34,807 of 48,566
Darin Fong's Out-Of-Your-Head gaming preset achieves very similar results and it's a software solution. However, unlike Razer Surround, it's really great. Here, try it out:
https://fongaudio.com/

I may have to give it a second try. FWIR, it mostly just works with prerecorded material? So not gaming? And, this might just be me, but headphone surround doesn't work as well for me when I'm not a participant character, movies have most of their sounds coming from in front it seems. Darin Fong did seem to put a lot of effort into his work though.

Thanks for the link and suggestion!

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #34,808 of 48,566
I may have to give it a second try. FWIR, it mostly just works with prerecorded material? So not gaming? And, this might just be me, but headphone surround doesn't work as well for me when I'm not a participant character, movies have most of their sounds coming from in front it seems. Darin Fong did seem to put a lot of effort into his work though.

Thanks for the link and suggestion!

Nah, there is a low latency gaming preset available. I've been in the beta program some time ago. Just give it a try.

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #34,811 of 48,566
Did you listen to the K7XX yet? It's not a bass-deficient headphone! It is in fact a little boosted over neutral, as supported by frequency charts and listening. Not as exaggerated as a basshead can, but I think you're more worried than you should be.

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #34,813 of 48,566
No they are still enroute from USA. They are first edition Red if that makes any difference although I'd presume they are all the same. The K712 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever used.

The only difference is that the red color makes it go faster. The K7XX black and red will sound the same.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #34,815 of 48,566
Want to purchase a K7xx, does anyone still make an adapter so I can use my boom pro mic with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back