Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 8, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #32,746 of 48,562
Twist lock on the HD598 can be removed with a screwdriver. You need to open the left cup and just unscrew it. Then buy a 2.5mm>3.5mm adapter and You're good to go with the Boompro.

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #32,747 of 48,562
You're welcome.

Pro tip: Don't do any permanent mods to a can unless you're positive you're keeping them. You can always get something good, keep for a few months, and sell on the classifieds for ~75-90% of what you paid. This is even more true if you get something that's well-regarded around here.

I really am after a keeper primarily for ps4 gaming. I've bought the mixamp. Picked a mic (boom pro) struggling on headet. Is the x1 a lot better than hd598? Found a X11 brand new £180 is that good?

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #32,748 of 48,562
Twist lock on the HD598 can be removed with a screwdriver. You need to open the left cup and just unscrew it. Then buy a 2.5mm>3.5mm adapter and You're good to go with the Boompro.

Yeah that's what I read seems a simple job. I've even gone and bought the adapter as I thought I was set on the hd598. But I am now unsure after the x1 has been suggested. Which would be more suited to mixamp and ps4 for Fps?

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #32,749 of 48,562
I really am after a keeper primarily for ps4 gaming. I've bought the mixamp. Picked a mic (boom pro) struggling on headet. Is the x1 a lot better than hd598? Found a X11 brand new £180 is that good?

Long answer to a short question...

It seems the price on the X1 is nearly as high as its replacement, the X2. Most people believe the X2 is a great all-around can, and slightly better than the X1.

I can't help you with UK pricing, since I'm in the US, but 180£/$280 seems rather high for that can. I also know UK folks always seem to pay more for electronics and audio gear than we do in the US.

There are many good options nowadays. Ultimately, your two main criteria should be easy to drive (because the mixamp isn't very powerful), and to have a good soundstage. But you also need to consider tonal balance, comfort, and price.

I would peruse the guide and look at the cans in your price range.

If you want a keeper, you really have to know what you're looking for. Most of us go through a few decent cans until we find the two or three we keep. That takes research and experimentation.

We can tell you what we like,and how one compares to another, but individual tastes play a part too.

I know we have some UK people always moving gently-used gear in the classifieds, so that can help you set a baseline for street prices.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #32,750 of 48,562
Let's see how my new baby fares with regards to gaming... 
popcorn.gif

Something tells me it won't be too bad 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #32,752 of 48,562
  What did You buy man?

Hopefully something that'll do for some time 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #32,754 of 48,562

If my experience is worth anything, it's a kick-ass gaming can.

Oh if it is anything similar to how it throws staging with stereo music, I am in for a treat 
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #32,755 of 48,562
You're welcome.

Pro tip: Don't do any permanent mods to a can unless you're positive you're keeping them. You can always get something good, keep for a few months, and sell on the classifieds for ~75-90% of what you paid. This is even more true if you get something that's well-regarded around here.

X1 and X2 are going to be significantly better, IMO. Much more involving with equal imaging capability. Also, you can connect the boom pro with no fuss. If you get the X1, be sure to get a different cable ($10 monoprice cable will be fine), since the one that comes with the headphone sounds like booty. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #32,756 of 48,562
I got the Black ops 3 for ps4. Not bad, a few server teething problems but seems pretty decent. Looking for a mixamp friendly pair of headphones to go with the boom pro mic I'm going to order. Any suggestions? I like the look of the hd598. But I believe I would have to take the twist lock of the headphone jack.

I have used many headphones with the MixAmp. I do double amp with an 02. I have used DT990, HD598, SPH9500, X2, K7XX and currently AKG K553 Pro. And the 553 are very good IMO. They have excellent soundstage for a closed back headphone. And the imaging and positioning is great. Plus you get a nice amount of bass.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #32,757 of 48,562
Who's got Black Ops 3?

I'm guessing you do?

You misspelled Fallout 4.

F
A
L
L
O
U
T

Well Battlefield has gone to schiit too. As for console fps my only hope is the new rainbow six.

I agree, but don't hold your breath on R6. The tactical theme is intense, but the mechanics are ****. Trying to find a match during the beta was more challenging than the gameplay, itself.

FPS games are mostly all watered down, nowadays, have been for a while. Just pick a franchise that fits your style and enjoy it with your friends.

PS: Doom looks promising

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #32,758 of 48,562
Well, I played the R6 beta and apart from the terrible matchmaking (which I hope ubi has fixed already) and some balance issues I actually had fun in that game. I hope it doesn't follow the usual Ubisoft's "launch now, fix all the bugs in a year or so" scheme.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #32,759 of 48,562
Well, I played the R6 beta and apart from the terrible matchmaking (which I hope ubi has fixed already) and some balance issues I actually had fun in that game. I hope it doesn't follow the usual Ubisoft's "launch now, fix all the bugs in a year or so" scheme.

I had fun, too, but only when it didn't require actual shooting. It just wasn't smooth and hits were sometimes not registering, leaving me with the "What" look on my face more often than not. I love the tactics involved and am sure (or hope) there is more variety in the full game. But add in the fact that microtransactions are key to unlocking the more expensive agents completely turned me off. You basically have to save around 25hrs of in-game currency to unlock each, otherwise.

Ubisoft and Activision can both go to hell, even EA. The former two's greedy practices are so much worse IMO, however, that it results in me often overlooking EA's. Watch Dogs, Destiny, and Hardline (a disgrace to the Battlefield name) all left a bad taste in my mouth this gen for each publisher.

Still, BFH is better (to me) than most pvp FPSers on the console market (COD, KZ, Destiny) so I just keep playing it and BF4. The different styles of the two actually make them compliment each other.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #32,760 of 48,562
Well, Killzone Shadow Fall was one of the best console FPS I've ever played. If only it wasn't so sluggish. Seriously, the input lag, slow acceleration and turn speed make the game feel so unresponsive. That and these anoying drones have ruined this otherwise great game. Destiny felt too repetitive and Hardline feels too much like BF4. I wish they made this game pistol only with all primary weapons being kept in trunk, with much less offensive gadgets. The part about the R6 I liked the most was lack of 'splosions every second or so. Most gadgests were defensive in their nature. That was a nice change from the 'splosions in Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back