Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 3, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #32,716 of 48,562
Can someone PLEASE answer me?

Considering the Sennheiser Game one's or the Sennheiser HD558's with a Vmoda boompro mic. Budget is $200, I really want sound quality and don't know which headset would be better for me. Thanks

In that price range you also have q107, ath-ad700x/ad900x, fostex t50rp, beyerdynamic dt990 pro...

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #32,717 of 48,562
In that price range you also have q107, ath-ad700x/ad900x, fostex t50rp, beyerdynamic dt990 pro...

I was really hoping for something sennheiser. I am not an audiophile by any means and I have never heard of any of those brands. All I have heard of is Sennheiser really and I know they are good. I am going to bestbuy soon to try on the headphones and see how they fit and sound so are there any suggestions of what to try on?

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #32,718 of 48,562
If my plane ear doesn't get better, I may have to put my headphone-ish on hold for the foreseeable future. May have to contact Creative and tell them I can't review the JAM. It's been 3 days, and I'm practically deaf on my left ear.

If you don't have medical insurance, word of advice: don't get sick and then get on a plane. The congestion + air pressure change can totally ruin your ears. Learning this the hard way.

I've cursed my existence years ago, so this is just smearing more **** on the already pile of **** I have to deal with.

Good news for you guys, this means I may just offload all my audio stuff, particularly my basically fresh out of the box replacement X2. Bad news being that no way I'll continue the headphone game if/when I find out I'm screwed on my left ear forever..

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #32,719 of 48,562
If you aren't into the audiophile stuff and just want a good sounding headset that works well the game one is perfect. I have you and like it a bunch. I mostly use my Akg k7xx for gaming and movies now, so if you want to buy a used game one at a fair pr8ce pm me.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #32,720 of 48,562
Mad
I can't believe your left ear would be permanent! I mean, it's possible, but unlikely from just cold + plane altitude.
Definitely worth the investment of a DR's visit if you've gone 4 days with no sign of improvement. And ask about insurance options anyway, because the government is starting to fine people for not getting insurance.
Right now is insurance open enrollment, I'm sincerely hoping to get my Fiancé under my insurance plan as a "domestic partner" until she officially becomes my wife next year.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #32,721 of 48,562
There are DTS HP X demos of Elite Dangerous, Ori, Alien Isolation but no usable hardware for PC or consoles except some All-in-One Headsets like the G933. 

What are DATASAT/Dolby thinking anyway? Battlefront will support Atmos for receivers so at least one plugin exists (albeit probably extra embedded into Frostbyte) but other than that? Haven't read about any Middleware support from both. Games will need to transfer geo data to the renderer, else it's all speaker room "fallback". 

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #32,722 of 48,562
If my plane ear doesn't get better, I may have to put my headphone-ish on hold for the foreseeable future. May have to contact Creative and tell them I can't review the JAM. It's been 3 days, and I'm practically deaf on my left ear.

If you don't have medical insurance, word of advice: don't get sick and then get on a plane. The congestion + air pressure change can totally ruin your ears. Learning this the hard way.

I've cursed my existence years ago, so this is just smearing more **** on the already pile of **** I have to deal with.

Good news for you guys, this means I may just offload all my audio stuff, particularly my basically fresh out of the box replacement X2. Bad news being that no way I'll continue the headphone game if/when I find out I'm screwed on my left ear forever..

You should really go to a doctor, man. Airplane ear usually only lasts a few hours. It could be something as simple as wax that got jammed, or there could be serious damage.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #32,723 of 48,562

Holy crap Mad, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I had a similar situation a few years ago, it was not fun. I eventually ended up going to the doctor and getting it flushed out after 3 or 4 days of it, which cleared things up for me. I don't know if you've tried taking any over-the-counter nasal decongestants, but sometimes that can help too. I pulled some articles for you, if these help at all. I hope you get better, I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to your hearing, dude.

http://gizmodo.com/why-your-ears-pop-and-what-to-do-if-they-dont-505598950

http://www.neilmed.com/neilmedblog/2015/04/it-feels-like-my-ear-wont-pop/

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #32,724 of 48,562
Holy crap Mad, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I had a similar situation a few years ago, it was not fun. I eventually ended up going to the doctor and getting it flushed out after 3 or 4 days of it, which cleared things up for me. I don't know if you've tried taking any over-the-counter nasal decongestants, but sometimes that can help too. I pulled some articles for you, if these help at all. I hope you get better, I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to your hearing, dude.

http://gizmodo.com/why-your-ears-pop-and-what-to-do-if-they-dont-505598950

http://www.neilmed.com/neilmedblog/2015/04/it-feels-like-my-ear-wont-pop/

Decongestant for sure... My right ear was plugged with fluid almost 2 weeks last winter.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #32,725 of 48,562
I went through something similar a year ago. [there used to be something silly here]

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #32,727 of 48,562
Most of audiophile DACs accept only 2 channels whether it is through USB, Optical or Coaxial. the optical out on your SBZ outputs a virtualized 2-channel, so DACs with optical in would work.

I am just guessing but I think the amp on your SBZ isn't good enough for the Q701. DAC differences are subtle and therefore negligible for gaming.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #32,728 of 48,562
  Most of audiophile DACs accept only 2 channels whether it is through USB, Optical or Coaxial. the optical out on your SBZ outputs a virtualized 2-channel, so DACs with optical in would work.

I am just guessing but I think the amp on your SBZ isn't good enough for the Q701. DAC differences are subtle and therefore negligible for gaming.

so you reckon it's only worth buying an amp and use the sound blaster z dac, which amp would you recommend

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #32,729 of 48,562

so you reckon it's only worth buying an amp and use the sound blaster z dac, which amp would you recommend

Yes, 

the Schiit Magni 2 Uber is a very powerful amp and can drive Q701 to its full potential.

there are better amps out there, but the one I mentioned is an introductory DAC which doesn't cost that much.

about DACs, Going from a MOBO DAC to an introductory audiophile DAC makes a lot of diffrence. but the DAC on your SBZ is pretty good by itself...I am guessing it is the CS4398 ?

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #32,730 of 48,562

Yes, 

the Schiit Magni 2 Uber is a very powerful amp and can drive Q701 to its full potential.

there are better amps out there, but the one I mentioned is an introductory DAC which doesn't cost that much.

about DACs, Going from a MOBO DAC to an introductory audiophile DAC makes a lot of diffrence. but the DAC on your SBZ is pretty good by itself...I am guessing it is the CS4398 ?

yes it's the CS4398, being in the uk im not sure i can get a hold of the uber 2 magni , modi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back