Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 8, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #32,776 of 48,568
Yeah, let me think about it for a few. Gotta see whaty the market is for them and how much I bought mine for. They're literally a few hours old in use.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #32,777 of 48,568
So I dunno if it's me dying or something, but I seem to be irritated by the X2's headband now and I started getting a bald spot after a day of use. 

Welcome to your 30s (I'm assuming that, don't remember your actual age). Only gets better from here....

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #32,778 of 48,568
About to be 33 next month, and I'm starting to feel iot. Bald spot from a headphone, sinus congestion causing weeklong plane ear that is still not fixed... I don't even know anymore.

I'll sell my basically brand new X2 for $200+shipping. Is that fair to you? They're currently going for almost $300

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #32,779 of 48,568
So I dunno if it's me dying or something, but I seem to be irritated by the X2's headband now and I started getting a bald spot after a day of use. Looks like someone is gonna be happy with a basically new pair of X2s up for sale soon.

Looks like I'm gonna add standard headbands as something IO will avoid in the future and stick to clip on, neckband headphones.

I ordered an elusive pair of Sennheiser PMX95 to use. They're rare and not sold here, so had to go to Ebay for them. I'd prefer the MM100 since it's wireless, but that's even harder to get and there's like none to find now.

I had this issue with the SHP9500, had a bald spot for days after a binge week of destiny when it came out. 

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #32,780 of 48,568
About to be 33 next month, and I'm starting to feel iot. Bald spot from a headphone, sinus congestion causing weeklong plane ear that is still not fixed... I don't even know anymore.

I'll sell my basically brand new X2 for $200+shipping. Is that fair to you? They're currently going for almost $300

Well, you're fairing better than me. I went bald at 28... haha

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #32,781 of 48,568
It literally happened yesterday, so I stopped wearing it immediately once I noticed. I'm sure it was a reaction and I'm not going bald, yet. Though I normally keep my hair super short (zero/one with hair clippers), so going bald wouldn't be the end of my world. I'm a hat guy as is.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #32,782 of 48,568
It literally happened yesterday, so I stopped wearing it immediately once I noticed. I'm sure it was a reaction and I'm not going bald, yet. Though I normally keep my hair super short (zero/one with hair clippers), so going bald wouldn't be the end of my world. I'm a hat guy as is.

I used to be a hat/cap guy until it resulted in a receding hairline and an 'island' on the top of my head. My haircuts were like yours, though, so going fully bald really wasn't all that bad. Headphones are way more comfy, now, anyway... 
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #32,783 of 48,568
Guys, I need some quick advice here.

Essentially I'm wondering if I should get the AKG K7XX from massdrop for $200 or get the K712 pros from Amazon for $322(or cheaper on black friday maybe).

These will be used on PC 70% for gaming and 30% for music. Gaming would be first person shoots.

Can anyone tell me how they compare, build quality and sound wise? The extra $122 isn't a problem for me but if the differences are negligible I'd like to put it towards an amp. 

I need to join the mass drop soon if I go that route!

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #32,784 of 48,568
  Guys, I need some quick advice here.

Essentially I'm wondering if I should get the AKG K7XX from massdrop for $200 or get the K712 pros from Amazon for $322(or cheaper on black friday maybe).

These will be used on PC 70% for gaming and 30% for music. Gaming would be first person shoots.

Can anyone tell me how they compare, build quality and sound wise? The extra $122 isn't a problem for me but if the differences are negligible I'd like to put it towards an amp. 

I need to join the mass drop soon if I go that route!

Some will debate and say that the price difference is worth it while others, like myself, can deal with the slight technical differences that don't (in my opinion) justify that price difference. I say go for the K7XX.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #32,785 of 48,568

Some will debate and say that the price difference is worth it while others, like myself, can deal with the slight technical differences that don't (in my opinion) justify that price difference. I say go for the K7XX.

So someone like me coming from Astro A50's the 7XX's will likely be good enough as long as I get a good amp?

Also, I read some people have a rattle in one ear with the 7XX, and some other minor build quality issues. Are these rare, and if I buy through mass drop does anyone know how good they are at exchanges and paying for shipping if something is wrong? Like if the build quality is that much better on the 712 pro's I'd pay the difference but IMO they both look nice...

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #32,786 of 48,568
So someone like me coming from Astro A50's the 7XX's will likely be good enough as long as I get a good amp?

Also, I read some people have a rattle in one ear with the 7XX, and some other minor build quality issues. Are these rare, and if I buy through mass drop does anyone know how good they are at exchanges and paying for shipping if something is wrong? Like if the build quality is that much better on the 712 pro's I'd pay the difference but IMO they both look nice...

According to side by side reports, the K712's build is sturdier than that if the K7XX. I can't say, myself, because it's been a good while since owning the former.

As for exchanges and warranty support, both Massdrop and AKG have been superb from my experience. When my K7XX's right driver died, AKG's warehouses were going through reconstruction. Instead of waiting a couple weeks for AKG to replace/repair, Massdrop glady exchanged them for me when they received more in stock. This was 6 months after purchase, I may add.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #32,787 of 48,568

Good to know, sounds like good support from those companies.

Now to decide which to get! I'll probably end up going with the K7XX's, just googling right now and some people keep reporting a rattle in one of the ear cups, but I'm sure it's an actual very low %. In the grand scheme of things an extra $122 isn't that much to me but at the same time I'm very careful with my thing and these headphones are literally going to sit at my desk, so a slightly lower build quality won't bother me that much.

That orange color on the 712's though...damn fine lol.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #32,788 of 48,568
I'd definitely opt for the 7XX. I don't trust there being a difference in build. Just people being paranoid because the 7XX isn't made in Austria.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #32,789 of 48,568
I'd definitely opt for the 7XX. I don't trust there being a difference in build. Just people being paranoid because the 7XX isn't made in Austria.

I thought I read that some 712 pros were made in China, others in Austria? Or are they all made in Austria? Not that it matters, both come from a factory at the end of the day.

Probably gonna order the 7XX's then! Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on an amp? I've got an Asus Xonar DX sound card in my PC if that makes a difference.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #32,790 of 48,568
You'll want an amp for those. A desktop amp at minimal. Something warm. I would probably take a Magni 2 as entry point for the AKGs. Personally, I would lean on the Vali, but I'm biased, and loved it too much.

IIRC, the 712 is made in Austria, everything else in the 700-ish line moved to China. Not sure how it is today though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back