Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 17, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #31,126 of 48,579
How much money do You have for the entire setup?

250 but I could maybe stretch to 300. The mix amp is 45 and the modmic 40. Should I be looking at the sennheiser HD598? I have only ever used gaming headsets for gaming and I thought every make and model was really bad for positioning. Just looking for something with a realistic sound.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #31,127 of 48,579

And here's Your answer why

Yeah, when I had them last year, I was about to order a amp/DAC with them if it wasn't for their channel imbalance problem that I had with them...

That stinks that you had all those issues. I haven't had any such problems with the X1. 

I think it's great with both the Ps4 and the iPad.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #31,128 of 48,579
250 but I could maybe stretch to 300. The mix amp is 45 and the modmic 40. Should I be looking at the sennheiser HD598? I have only ever used gaming headsets for gaming and I thought every make and model was really bad for positioning. Just looking for something with a realistic sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-Air-Dynamic-Audiophile-Headphones-/251970337722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aaa9a3bba

This is probably the best You can get, grab it before it's too late.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #31,129 of 48,579

How much money do You have for the entire setup?

I personally enjoy the X1 quite a bit more than the HD598, although the 598 is nice. I don't let yourself be deterred from a good can just because another head-fier got a random defective pair. (No offense Dakano... sounds like you just got unlucky.)

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #31,130 of 48,579

I personally enjoy the X1 quite a bit more than the HD598, although the 598 is nice. I don't let yourself be deterred from a good can just because another head-fier got a random defective pair. (No offense Dakano... sounds like you just got unlucky.)

They weren't defective, I've returned them and got a new one, and that one had the same issue as well...

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #31,131 of 48,579

They weren't defective, I've returned them and got a new one, and that one had the same issue as well...

Then maybe your source is the problem? Either way, sorry to hear about your crappy experience with the headphone. :/ I've had no such issues. I hope you found something that worked better for you.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #31,132 of 48,579

I'm in the UK I can get these 157 new. Just wish I could try before buying.

I haven't made up my mind but you guys are helping me to come closer to my decision.

From all the reviews I've read and watched I still like the sound of the AKG's just know that I probably won't be able to power these just with the mix amp. I want something that will help immerse me into the games I play. Now I'm still think X1's but also possibly the AD700. Also worried that I will spend a lot of money and I can't hear the difference. This is my first audiophile headphones. What do you guys use with your PS4?

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #31,136 of 48,579
I'm in the UK I can get these 157 new. Just wish I could try before buying.
I haven't made up my mind but you guys are helping me to come closer to my decision.

This specific auction is for modded version with added microphone and removable cable so it's cheaper than ad700 new + modmic + shipping for both.

Disclaimer: It isn't mine, I just found it on ebay and decided to share
  Sorry for asking off-topic question but I was wondering what is the best possible way to hook up an external amp directly to PS4?

The only way to hook up an amp to the PS4 is by connecting it to the minijack in the controller itself, since the PS4 does not have analog outputs. Unless You mean an AV receiver in which case use HDMI.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #31,137 of 48,579
AD700 (x) and the X1 weigh opposite flavored of the sound, respectively you've got air, lightness, and soundstage, on the other you've got a strong V-Shaped headphone with lots of bass emphasis and stuff mentioned in Mad's review. If you want AD700, don't pay $200 USD >_< Here they are at $90 USD:
AD700

Chococya, the PS4 console only has digital outputs, so you need a digital to analogue converter before you can start amplifying the analogue signal. Some cheap options:
In stereo: FiiO D3k, or the D5k
In stereo or processed to headphone surround: Turtle Beach DSS, on eBay. Also has built-in amp, not bad.

The other option is you can plug a headphone or amp into the headphone port on the DualShock 4 controller... Just don't expect the sound quality to be as good as a smartphone or the options I mentioned above.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #31,138 of 48,579
AV cable out of the PS4 and run the audio legs to the amp? Seems like an odd request but that's probably the most direct way.

Lol friend, audio legs? What are you talking about!
Those audio legs better be wrapped in fishnet insulation so that you can run them through the house with amplified excitement!

PS4 has an HDMI output, an optical output, and technically you can output audio through USB. No RCA connections or such. The controller has that headphone jack, but life (and battery life) is too short to subject yourself to that audio!

Jun 18, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #31,139 of 48,579
I'm on PS4 and just bought Audio Technica AD700x. It's connected to the 2011 mixamp 5.8. So far I LOVE it! I play a lot of BF4. I just have to figure out the best mic solution.

Sounds like you have a good setup. I would prefer a boom mic instead of the mod mic I think but more options with the modmic so I can I will probably go for that.

This specific auction is for modded version with added microphone and removable cable so it's cheaper than ad700 new + modmic + shipping for both.

Disclaimer: It isn't mine, I just found it on ebay and decided to share

Didn't realise it was modded, sorry. I will have another look. Thanks Yethal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back