Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 23, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #29,897 of 48,583
The sense of openness in an open-back headphones is something closed headphones will not be able to live up to. However, once you understand the limitations of a closed headphone's sense of openness, you'll understand when people say 'large soundstage for a closed heaphone'. Open headphones benefit from lack of seal, because external ambience adds an extra layer to a soundstage that closed headphones just can't do. So while a headphone may end it's soundstage at a certain point, the extra air and ambience will fool you into thinking the soundstage is continuing.

The TH900 has a very large soundatage that reaches far out, but you're still limited to the constraints of a closed headphone and it's lack of external ambience.

To put things into perspective, the Alpha Dog is a well sealing, closed headphone that has a very large, open-esque sound, but people sill still feel it's not as large an open can, because of the lack of external influence. This is why I stressed that it sounded like an open headphone in a very quiet room. The TH900 has a similar type of soundstage, but due to some warmth , it won't be as crisp and 'airy' as the Alpha Dog.

To be frank, the AKGs have a particularly wide soundstage, sort of egg shaped. The Annie is large soundstage, but due to it's extra warmth, it will still pale in subjective impressions on it's soundstage compared to a brighter, less warm headphone like it's non-Annie siblings.

If you want a very large soundstage, not much is gonna match the TH900 and Alpha Dog in terms of closed headphones. Not gonna get much better than that..I'm sure the Annie is still gonna sound larger and more open, because it is by design.

There have been plenty of out of head experiences with both the TH600 and TH900 while I was gaming. There was even a few occasions where I thought I lacked a seal on the ear pads, because they didn't sound limited and typical like closed headphones.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #29,900 of 48,583
They do, but it only works with a PC as a source (meaning no consoles).

What options do we have with a PC? Or to run it, I would need to use headphone out -> amp in (2x amp in line) ? Is it a problem, or would change the sound?
  Thats what I was looking for... a sound card to be used as DAC (no amplification, but with Dolby HP encoded) and connect to headphone amp... there is really no option here?

They do, but it only works with a PC as a source (meaning no consoles).

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #29,903 of 48,583
Yeah, the new cable runs at .6 ohms for me, and it has no issues. I do hear a fair bit of complaints about other people's cables though, so i suggest you having an alternative just in case.

Victor, the Asus Xonar U3 is a cheap external soundcard with the ability to send dolby headphone DIGITALLY to your own dac (it needs an optical input, like the Fiio E17), and then your own dac to your own amp. The U3 isnt great if youbuse it alone, but as a digital source of Dolby Headphone, it's as good as anything else, as you're not limited by its own technicalities.

Apparently there are alternatives with other virtual surround, but I dont know which.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #29,904 of 48,583
Anyone with the BoomPros have a problem with it spinning out of position? I'm waiting for mine along with my X2, and I'm curious. Since it's a regular 3.5mm plug, there doesn't seem to be anything keeping it from spinning all over the place.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #29,905 of 48,583
  Anyone with the BoomPros have a problem with it spinning out of position? I'm waiting for mine along with my X2, and I'm curious. Since it's a regular 3.5mm plug, there doesn't seem to be anything keeping it from spinning all over the place.

I've never had an issue with the boom mic turning away from where I place it. It's held in place by pressure and friction inside the jack.

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #29,906 of 48,583
I dunno how I forgot to mention this, but the TH600 and TH900 would be likable for those who love headphones like the HE-4. V-shaped with class.

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #29,908 of 48,583
Dear Envy,
I hope you can someday add to this guide both the HD700 and HD800 by sennheiser. Im not sure about this, but they seem to be rather good candidates for this guide.
Kind Regards,
A cat.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #29,909 of 48,583
Thank you very much for the heads up! Are you sure that is possible to use the optical WITH dolby headphones ON?

Another strange thing... does it get the optical line from 3,5mm connector? It must be a special connector right?

Anyway, thanks, if you find out another option, please let me know!

Yeah, the new cable runs at .6 ohms for me, and it has no issues. I do hear a fair bit of complaints about other people's cables though, so i suggest you having an alternative just in case.

Victor, the Asus Xonar U3 is a cheap external soundcard with the ability to send dolby headphone DIGITALLY to your own dac (it needs an optical input, like the Fiio E17), and then your own dac to your own amp. The U3 isnt great if youbuse it alone, but as a digital source of Dolby Headphone, it's as good as anything else, as you're not limited by its own technicalities.

Apparently there are alternatives with other virtual surround, but I dont know which.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #29,910 of 48,583
Yes, the software for the U3 has a setting where the optical will send out either straight Dolby Digital, or already fully processed to Dolby Headphone, digitally. I used it quite a bit for PC gaming.

And all you need is a 3.5mm optical cable adapter. Pretty sure it comes with one, but don't quote me on that. I lost my U3 a while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back