Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 22, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #29,881 of 48,583
For what it's worth, i thought that my X2 sounded better with my clip+ than my on-board (i did say night and day differences...), after some test i figured that it was my imagination. 
confused_face.gif

I do have some little EMI interferences from my graphic card (or PSU, i don't know), when used at it's "near-maximum", especially when i use MadVR. (like 90%+ GPU use), but if i don't use my GPU, or don't use it that much (like League of legends, CSGO, ect), i don't have any EMI sound (or at least not noticeable at all) on mine.

And it's not the audio chipset, from front audio jack i don't have theses EMI interferences, maybe my cable isn't that great (it's a kabeldirekt that somebody recommended, don't remember the thread). I don't know.
(If somebody have a solution, don't hesitate
darthsmile.gif
)

Some motherboard also come with great tools (mine come with a Sound Blaster X-Fi MB 3 app) that can do some good stuff for music/movie/gaming.
(I love this this "game" preset so much that i also listen to music with it and movie now).

TL;DR : Wanted to buy a dac, and finally, i decided it may not worth it.
I suggest you to test with your on-board audio first, and why not, with other source you have, and make a decision. :wink:

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #29,882 of 48,583
  Any recommendations on a cheap amp for the Fidelio X1's? I've got the X1's and a Mixamp (for Xbox One gaming) coming next week but I think I might need an amp for music/movies on my PC. Not looking to spend too much, maybe £50?

I just bought an X1 earlier this week, and I already own a FiiO E10K which is pretty much right in your budget, and is a highly recommended DAC/AMP.  Anyways, the X1s sound just fine coming from my on-board(Asus Z97-AR Mobo).  The E10K does get the nod when you flip the Gain and Bass Boost switch, but its not worth spending 50 quid for.  You will be fine with on board, if you are unhappy, or feel like you need more, stretch your budget and get something better than the E10K because its not a noticeable enough difference, at least in my opinion.  Another potential option in your price range is the SMSL SD793-II DAC/AMP.

Also, the included stock cable for the X1 is atrocious.  I didn't even make it through a full song because it was that bad. I felt like the headphones weren't coming to life.  The sound was hollow, and I had to turn the volume up pretty high to even get a halfway decent experience.  I switched to a Mediabridge cable and voila!  With the new cable, the headphones sounded infinitely better, and were also not requiring me to turn the dial up so high.  The new cable did more than switching from on board to DAC/AMP.

TL;DR:
If you aren't happy with your X1s out of the box, 1st switch the cable.  If that doesn't satisfy you, then look into a higher end headphone amplifier.

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #29,883 of 48,583
+1 on swapping out the stock Fidelio X1 cable. That thing is awful. Even a $10 Monoprice cable provides a massive improvement. Address this before worrying about an amp.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #29,884 of 48,583
You can read all the love the people have for the TH900's soundstage, which is absolutely massive, unlike what the closed back constraints would lead people to believe. It reachs far out. With terrific depth. Soundstage is something people wont have an issue with the Th900.

The TH900 also has a pretty big spike between 5-6khz, though due to the lower end, is masked quite well.

Oh yes, the TH900 is one of the best low tl moderate volume headphones, if not the best I've heard. All its dynamics are still there. I usually don't love headphones at low volumes, but the TH900 is engaging at any volume.

Hey MLE ,
I'm really starting to get used to these TH-600's with that said the fatigue I was experiencing has pretty much gone away. My only question is dealing with the Dolby Headphone soundstage. I like the TH600 in games however in movies it seems to me the AKG K7XX has a better presentation of soundstage. Do you feel / believe the upgrade to the TH-900 would be significant enough and or would match or beat say the AKG Annie's or 712 since they pretty similar to my K7XX in your experience ? I realize I might be just nick picking details just want the best of both worlds.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #29,885 of 48,583
How do you guy connect the Mixamp to a Lyr?
I want to do the same but with a phonitor instead. Also does that mean you'll lose microphone ability in this sort of setup.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #29,886 of 48,583
How do you guy connect the Mixamp to a Lyr?
I want to do the same but with a phonitor instead. Also does that mean you'll lose microphone ability in this sort of setup.

Through the Mixamp's headphone out. Not the quietest thing in the world, but as long as the mixamp volume is below the halfway point, it's not too bad.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #29,887 of 48,583
I had the chance to listen to SRH1540 and Fidelio X2 in a retail store and here is my initial impression:

SRH1540

Comfort - 9.5/10 VERY comfortable. After a while, I even forgot that I had these headphones sitting on my head. Need I say more?

SQ - 7/10 I was rather dissappointed with these cans. Maybe my expectation was too high. Bass was ok, the mids were there and I liked the details but all my songs on my mp3 sounded... too normal. Ordinary. Make no mistake, these cans sound good but they definitely did not feel like $500 cans to me. At first I thought it must be my MP3 so I connected it to Fiio E12. Adding an amp did improve perceptive SQ but I could not shake this empty feeling that 'something was missing' with these cans.

Isolation/Sound Leak - 7/10 I've heard that these don't isolate very well, but they seemed good enough for me.

Fidelio X2

Comfort - 7.5/10 I don't like the clamping pressure from these cans. Materials and construction quality is good, but I don't think I can wear these cans all day.

SQ - 9.5/10 I was blown away the moment I heard these cans. I am just an average guy with average hearing but I was shocked by the difference between SRH1540 and X2. Sub-bass was beautifully textured, decent bass, soundstage and wonderful clarity. Comparing them side by side, SRH1540 sounded 'veiled' in comparison. I know that SRH1540 is supposed to have stronger bass response, but strangely X2 had more bass to my ears. Maybe I am not too familiar with Frequency Response thing. I am just baffled because X2 is supposed to be more neutral... yet seemed to have more flavor than SRH1540.

Isolation/Sound Leak - 0/10 Terrible. Just terrible.

I REALLY wanted to like SRH1540, as I need closed cans for privacy. But the idea of paying more for less... is just bugging me. I almost convinced myself to buy X2 today... But I know too well that the sound leak from X2 will forever haunt me while listening to music... in a room with 5 roomates.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #29,888 of 48,583
Hey MLE ,
I'm really starting to get used to these TH-600's with that said the fatigue I was experiencing has pretty much gone away. My only question is dealing with the Dolby Headphone soundstage. I like the TH600 in games however in movies it seems to me the AKG K7XX has a better presentation of soundstage. Do you feel / believe the upgrade to the TH-900 would be significant enough and or would match or beat say the AKG Annie's or 712 since they pretty similar to my K7XX in your experience ? I realize I might be just nick picking details just want the best of both worlds.

You're comparing a closed headphone to an open one, of course the open one is going to sound more spacious.  The TH600 is pretty open-sounding for a closed can, but the AKG K7-- series is one of the most spacious-sounding headphones you can buy.  It's apples and oranges, really.  The TH900 won't change that.

I'm not sure what you're asking re Annies and K712, but you should know that the K7XX is just a rebranded Annie.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #29,889 of 48,583
  Any recommendations on a cheap amp for the Fidelio X1's? I've got the X1's and a Mixamp (for Xbox One gaming) coming next week but I think I might need an amp for music/movies on my PC. Not looking to spend too much, maybe £50?

Any of the amps in the amp section of the guide will be fine.  A cheap used Fiio is probably your best bet.  

The X1 does sound better amped, but it's not bad unamped.  It's important to understand the distinction between headphones that NEED and amp vs ones that BENEFIT from an amp.  Ones like the X1 that benefit from an amp sound good unamped but sound better with an amp.  Ones that need an amp sound just okay without and amp and much better with an amp.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #29,890 of 48,583
Through the Mixamp's headphone out. Not the quietest thing in the world, but as long as the mixamp volume is below the halfway point, it's not too bad.

Surprised Creative or Asus don't already offer a decent DAC that output Dolby Headphone to a decent amp.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #29,892 of 48,583
They do, but it only works with a PC as a source (meaning no consoles).

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #29,893 of 48,583
Which sucks donkey balls.
But I guess there's still hope, as per Creative's response;

'Dear sir,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We noted your suggestion. We hope can update it for an improvement in a future!
Regards,

Creative Worldwide Customer Response'

I'll be prayin' :D

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #29,894 of 48,583

You're comparing a closed headphone to an open one, of course the open one is going to sound more spacious.  The TH600 is pretty open-sounding for a closed can, but the AKG K7-- series is one of the most spacious-sounding headphones you can buy.  It's apples and oranges, really.  The TH900 won't change that.

I'm not sure what you're asking re Annies and K712, but you should know that the K7XX is just a rebranded Annie.

Thanks Stillhart... I hate to admit this but I actually was expecting the same sound field immersion. This would be my first set of closed headphones in years.
deadhorse.gif
 Well now that
that's clear  uh hmm  These TH-600's are Awesome  !!

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #29,895 of 48,583
Even so, the TH900 has a very expansive soundstage, that can fool you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back