Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #27,031 of 48,578
Question: For just playing movies, do I gain anything using a PS3 vs. PS4?  I won the Ps3 already.... and I also have a laptop which has a built in blu-ray player.  Which is best to use when going out to a 65" Plasma (VT65 from Panasonic)?  Audio is coming back thru headphone processor/amp and back thru home theater.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #27,032 of 48,578
LOL, I didn't even know the X2s existed! I will definitely look into those. I don't see any sense in paying the same price for the older version, though I do wish they shared the same color scheme
frown.gif
IMO the brown and silver on the X1s looks super classy, and everything electronic nowadays is black. Silly things like color can be a deal breaker for me, but I think I can live with the black X2s.

If you prefer the look of the X1, try to find a used one.  Prices should be coming down now that the X2 is out.

That issue is quite annoying on Xbox One. I'm hoping the address it sometime in a patch, I should be able to choose where my chat audio is going. You could on the 360, idk why they took it out on the One. I'm not set on using the V-Moda boom mic, I only mentioned it because everyone says how awesome it is. Quite frankly if it doesn't end up working properly with my setup I will just get a clip on or something else. Would a headphone cord that has a microphone on it work ok with this setup? The aux cable on my LP2s has a microphone built in with volume adjustment buttons, would I be able to plug that into the X2s and use it as my mic? Hmm.

I'm not sure why the Boompro causes that issue, so I can't tell you if it's specific to the Boompro, or if it's something with the single cable with mic built-in.  In theory other cords will work fine... the Mixamp accepts a 4-pole connection.  But I don't know if that will make it work better than the Boompro.

Ok, so any mixamp will work, the wireless ones are just nicer because they are wireless, right? Is there a wireless mixamp that isn't an Astro in that same price range I could use as an alternative? Or at least something in that price range that would do the same thing?? Wireless seems like something I would want, as the cord mess on my Trittons is frustrating and why i was originally drawn to getting the new A50s.

Oh, and thanks for the speedy reply! I will check this thread later tonight
smily_headphones1.gif

The Mixamp 5.8 is the only wireless option that isn't built-in to the actual headphone.  Don't expect miracles with it tho.  It's still cluttery, it's just not creating a tripping hazard across your living room floor.  All the clutter is in your lap or on the couch next to you.

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #27,033 of 48,578
So I narrowed  it down further, 

Found a place selling AKG K712 Pro for $380 AUD which seems like a great deal and with MLE comments on them looks like the best headphone i can get.

But before i make the plunge any improvements that can be made for this set up or recommendations? this will primarily for PS4 gaming

Mixamp 2015
modmic
AKG K712 Pro

thank you

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #27,034 of 48,578
  So I narrowed  it down further, 

Found a place selling AKG K712 Pro for $380 AUD which seems like a great deal and with MLE comments on them looks like the best headphone i can get.

But before i make the plunge any improvements that can be made for this set up or recommendations? this will primarily for PS4 gaming

Mixamp 2015
modmic
AKG K712 Pro

thank you

That's a pretty kick ass setup.  You might find yourself wanting additional amping in some circumstances, but I don't think you need to buy an amp right away; use it for a bit and decide later if the volume gets loud enough for your needs.

If you plan on using it for music later as well, you'll almost certainly want an amp to really get the most out of those headphones.

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #27,035 of 48,578
Unrelated note, I impulsively bought an HD700 today since it was on sale for $325 from Sennheiser.  I'm looking forward to seeing how these do for gaming.  Has anyone on here actually tried them for gaming?  I know AxelCloris knows some people who use it for gaming.  Anyone else?  Mad?

For that price, even if they suck, I shouldn't have much problem getting rid of them for no loss.

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #27,036 of 48,578

The reason it was so recommended back in the day is that you could get it for like $80.  It's been discontinued and replaced with the AD700X, which is pretty much the same but a lot more expensive.  Once you're into the $150+ price range, there is a lot of competition and the AD700X is no longer the clear-cut choice.

Woow okay $80 that's cheap. This afternoon I saw them on a website for 160 euros....

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #27,037 of 48,578
Edit: nvm, I forgot that I mentioned it on AVS not headfi. The avs guide was quite different and outdated.

Anyways,

THAT PIECE SPLITS INTO TWO. IT MAY NOT LOOK LIKE IT, BUT IT DOES, REVEALING THE AUDIO AND MIC INPUTS LOLCAPS

I didn't read it all, but someone asked if the Tritton box has a headset jack... now... CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG, but didn't I mention that the cable's puck splits into two pieces revealing an audio and mic jack?

If for whatever reason you have a single cable with both game/voice channels, like the Vmoda Boompro, all you need is a splitter, which IIRC, the Boompro comes with, or can be bought for stupid cheap.

Basically if you have the Tritton box, and the cable with the puck that it comes with... you don't need much else.

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #27,038 of 48,578
Does anyone have any thoughts on my 2 posts above?

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #27,039 of 48,578
Hey guys, I recently posted asking about my setup (Dt 770 MagniModi SBZ) but I was suggested this:

Asus Sonar STX

AKG Q701

ModMic 4.0

I'll also be recieving a UDAC 3 from NuForce for testing, so maybe I could use that as well?

Thanks in advance, if you have any suggestions on a nice pair of cans for gaming, tell me!

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #27,040 of 48,578
Nov 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #27,041 of 48,578
  Does anyone have any thoughts on my 2 posts above?

This isn't really the best thread for questions about your home theater setup, which is probably why nobody answered.

Regarding the X7, do a search.  People talk about it all the time in this thread.

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #27,042 of 48,578
Edit: nvm, I forgot that I mentioned it on AVS not headfi. The avs guide was quite different and outdated.

Anyways,

((Image of Tritton "puck" or control pod))

THAT PIECE SPLITS INTO TWO. IT MAY NOT LOOK LIKE IT, BUT IT DOES, REVEALING THE AUDIO AND MIC INPUTS LOLCAPS

I didn't read it all, but someone asked if the Tritton box has a headset jack... now... CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG, but didn't I mention that the cable's puck splits into two pieces revealing an audio and mic jack?

If for whatever reason you have a single cable with both game/voice channels, like the Vmoda Boompro, all you need is a splitter, which IIRC, the Boompro comes with, or can be bought for stupid cheap.

Basically if you have the Tritton box, and the cable with the puck that it comes with... you don't need much else.

LOLOLOLOLOL

But seriously, I'm pretty sure you did mention it, but possibly in-thread a few years ago rather than in the guide. Good call out.

Somebody asked if they could use the V-MODA inline mic... You can, I have done so, but people complained that I sounded quiet unless I had the cable dangling down my face with the mic in front of my mouth. These people may be slightly deaf (jk, but more seriously not everyone complained). Useful to mention is a few months back I discovered a setting on the PS4 "devices" settings that allows you to increase mic gain, and that might've gone a long way to ameliorating the issue and had a nice near-field mic... Maybe I could've had it off of my face! Regardless, I was eventually driven to the much more practical USB mic route.

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #27,043 of 48,578
  Unrelated note, I impulsively bought an HD700 today since it was on sale for $325 from Sennheiser.

What?!

Where did you find it for that?? 
eek.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #27,044 of 48,578
What?!

Where did you find it for that??  :eek:

Senneiser has a 35% off coupon right now. $500 for used like new at the outlet less 35% = o.O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back