Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 16, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #26,071 of 48,583

man - this is getting way more complicated than I thought.

EDIT:
what's a good extension cable to use with the Fidelio X1 + BoomPro? would different impedance in the cables affect things?

No it isn't, is just a matter of money. :)

About extension cable, will not affect your ear perception what kind of cable u use.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #26,072 of 48,583
One thing about X7 I just noticed, it has an USB Host connection on the side for connecting external USB DAC.

I'm seriously considering selling my Mixamp and the Schiit stack to buy the X7 when it comes out

EDIT: Nope, just for mobile phones. Which is a shame.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #26,073 of 48,583
Hi ,

am newbie in Audio thing , so i have bought Blaster ZX i thought the card itself would be enough , when i went throw the posts i got confused

so i have some questions , hope u help me out !

1) do i need an AMP & DAC with my Blaster ZX (With Audio Module*)? if yes which one should i get?

2)i don't know which headset should i get all i need is comfortable and gaming headset(NotFPSGame) since i spend over 10h on the computer ? and i watch Anime + Movies a lot

3) dose 250ohm beats 64ohm and 32ohm in sound quality , if yes please explain?

4) Surround sound , these headset doesn't support it but some had used a Razer App for the surrounded and its works?

Thank you , Best Regards.

* Audio Module , is it usefull or should i throw it ?

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #26,074 of 48,583
No it isn't, is just a matter of money.
smily_headphones1.gif

About extension cable, will not affect your ear perception what kind of cable u use.

that's definitely one way to put it
the X7 sure seems tempting though... but that price lol

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #26,075 of 48,583

Hey I also use the recon3d but when I use a table mic with it there's a loud buzzing noise
Does that happen with yours?
Or is there a problem with the mic input on my recon3d

No, there's no loud buzzing noise, lol.  If that were normal, nobody would buy these.

sigh. in a sense I'm back to the drawing board.

The Philips Fidelio X1 + V-Moda BoomPro are definitely on the list.
I definitely need a sound card since my mobo's integrated sound card isn't that good.. and I suppose SPDIF out is only Stereo PCM as well :/
- the Z/ZX or Omni would resolve that... but not accepting DD5.1 via Optical IN is a MEGA bummer. I'm really leaning to the ZX for the ACM so I don't have to reach to the rear... and it seems better than the Omni spec-wise... Omni is tempting for its convenience... so I'm kinda stuck (trying to imagine if I would use it for Macbook Pro etc... though I have Audinst HUD-MX1 that I currently use)
- If price isn't much of an issue, ZX is recommended right? (ZXR is way out)

After reading more about ASTRO Mixamp, I feel less and less inclined to get it on the PS4 :/
- The Recon3D USB looks really good as an alternative... but the prices are not friendly
- any other Mixamp type stuff I should consider?

Audinst HUD-MX1 - is the Sound Blaster Z a better sound solution?

man - this is getting way more complicated than I thought.

EDIT:
what's a good extension cable to use with the Fidelio X1 + BoomPro? would different impedance in the cables affect things?

The difference in spec between the Z/ZX and the Omni is negligible.  They're almost exactly the same thing.  I wouldn't worry about spec difference.  You get all the benefits of the ZX (all your connections up top of the desk) but at a fraction of the cost.  I know price isn't an issue, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to spend more if you're not getting any benefit.  

Honestly, I'm not even sure why anyone would choose the ZX over the Omni.  

Regarding Mixamp vs Recon, they both have their pros and cons and either will be a fine choice.  Recon will work on your computer and console, but not at the same time, so that's something to consider (the potential hassle of cable swapping).

Hi ,

am newbie in Audio thing , so i have bought Blaster ZX i thought the card itself would be enough , when i went throw the posts i got confused

so i have some questions , hope u help me out !

1) do i need an AMP & DAC with my Blaster ZX (With Audio Module*)? if yes which one should i get?

2)i don't know which headset should i get all i need is comfortable and gaming headset(NotFPSGame) since i spend over 10h on the computer ? and i watch Anime + Movies a lot

3) dose 250ohm beats 64ohm and 32ohm in sound quality , if yes please explain?

4) Surround sound , these headset doesn't support it but some had used a Razer App for the surrounded and its works?

Thank you , Best Regards.

* Audio Module , is it usefull or should i throw it ?

1 - No, you don't need an amp and DAC.  You may need an amp if you get headphones that are hard to drive, but since you don't have any headphones yet, that's easy to avoid.

2 - Look for headphones that rank high in the "fun" factor and read the reviews to see how comfy they are.  Pick a few that look good to you and we can maybe help narrow it down.

3 - Yes, generally speaking, the higher resistance ones sound better.  However, they're also harder to drive properly.  For example, 32ohm will sound fine from your phone, 250ohm not so good from your phone but better than the 32 from a proper source.

4 - The ZX will provide your surround sound.  You can use any headphone/headset you want once you have the ZX.

* - If you don't know if the audio module is useful, you should probably save a few bucks and get the Z instead of the ZX.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #26,076 of 48,583
+1,
The Zx is literally a Z with the ACM. The ACM isn't an amp or anything, it's just a headphone jack splitter with a resistor that decreases the volume from whatever the headphone jack of the card is at... kind of a cheap device. Oh and it has a built in pair of microphones, but the Z and the Omni also have beamforming mics.

And what specs of the z are better than the Omni? One thing to keep in mind is they both have the same chips for the DAC and the amp.

Have you checked eBay prices on the Recon3D USB?

These types of surround processors are called DSP (Digital Sound Processor), calling them "Mixamp type devices" is like calling something "Tide type soap" instead of "laundry detergent."

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #26,077 of 48,583
my bad ^^ will be more careful with the terminology.

I'll check eBay on the Recon3D USB

hmm. okay so between Z and Omni - which should I go for? it really boils down to preference right? I can get both at the same price.
I currently have a USB DAC...

was kinda just making do with PS4 SPDIF Output to the Sound Blaster Z - and let the Sound Blaster Z add the virtual surround to the 2CH Stereo signal.

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #26,078 of 48,583
Well I wasn't saying your terminology was bad, but you'll have more success finding more such devices if you look for DSPs than Mixamp's (tho Astro Gaming would do a little jig if you did, the Mixamp is their baby).

Didn't realize the price went up so much on the Recon3D USB, guess someone realized it was unique, but they used to sell for $65 new or less used.

Again, surround from the Z applied to a 2Ch stereo signal won't sound like "this is behind me, that is at 11 o'clock," when a DSP only has 2 channels to work with the "surround" effect is more like a reverb and distant effect than anything with remotely accurate positioning.

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #26,079 of 48,583
Well I wasn't saying your terminology was bad, but you'll have more success finding more such devices if you look for DSPs than Mixamp's (tho Astro Gaming would do a little jig if you did, the Mixamp is their baby).

Didn't realize the price went up so much on the Recon3D USB, guess someone realized it was unique, but they used to sell for $65 new or less used.

Again, surround from the Z applied to a 2Ch stereo signal won't sound like "this is behind me, that is at 11 o'clock," when a DSP only has 2 channels to work with the "surround" effect is more like a reverb and distant effect than anything with remotely accurate positioning.

Holy crap, $199 new!? That's insane!

This is just silly...

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #26,082 of 48,583
#stillhart thank you for your response and explanation

i have seen reviews for all of those
AKG K712 Pro i like this so much and it looks amazing but am careless am afraid to brake it Q_Q [made of plastice].
Philips Fidelio X1 i like the design but u can't change the ear-pad so won't last forever :frowning2:.
Beyerdynamic DT990 this looks ugly but got huge positive reviews and says its heavy .
Sony MA900 i like the desgin thats all dunno about the headphone

which one do u advice me to take and if its need AMP or not

& Thank you again.

Best Regards.

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #26,083 of 48,583
  #stillhart thank you for your response and explanation

i have seen reviews for all of those
AKG K712 Pro i like this so much and it looks amazing but am careless am afraid to brake it Q_Q [made of plastice].
Philips Fidelio X1 i like the design but u can't change the ear-pad so won't last forever :frowning2:.
Beyerdynamic DT990 this looks ugly but got huge positive reviews and says its heavy .
Sony MA900 i like the desgin thats all dunno about the headphone

which one do u advice me to take and if its need AMP or not

& Thank you again.

Best Regards.

The K712 Pro is quite sturdy and can take some abuse, it feels sturdier than the Q701, it also fits a bit different due to the different headband and some difference in clamping. I don't feel the need to be careful with the headphone. The DT 990 is a bit treble-heavy which may be bothersome for some, with the DT 990 Pro model, it's the coiled cable that is heavy and messes with comfort, the premium models are more comfortable, the headphone itself is quite lightweight. The MA900 is sturdier than it appears but not the K712 or DT 990 sturdy.  I haven't heard the X1.

The K712 is probably the most amp dependent of the bunch. The DT 990 needs an amp but isn't quite as demanding as the K712. The MA900 doesn't need an amp and I don't think the X1 needs one either.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #26,084 of 48,583

oh well. guess I'll really look at getting the ASTRO's then.
was hoping to just use the Sound Blaster Z until the next big upgrade... X7?

or are there alternative DSPs? I read mentions of DSS2 or something like

was hoping for kinda an all-in-one solution so I don't have to wear out my ports/cables by plugging them in and out (or is this unnecessary worrying heh)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back