Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 15, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #26,057 of 48,583

The Recon is super easy with PS3/4.  Just plug it in via USB and Optical, make sure the switches are set to PS3, and it just works.  No cord to controller required, no fancy connectors, et

The Recon that you have is that little device (mixamp), is it better than the astros? will it actually use the q701s at its full potential for gaming on ps4?

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #26,058 of 48,583
  The Recon that you have is that little device (mixamp), is it better than the astros? will it actually use the q701s at its full potential for gaming on ps4?

Is it better than the Astros?  I'd say they both have their pros and cons.  The biggest pro of the Recon (for me) is that it uses THX for surround rather than DH.  Some people prefer DH, I do not.  The biggest pro of the Astro is that it lets you set your game/chat balance.  This is something that isn't really super necessary but it's a convenience that I really really miss when I don't have it.

The Recon has enough volume to drive the Q701 if you're not chatting.  If you're chatting, you usually want to turn the game sounds down a little and turn the Recon up a bit, which will give you more chat volume.  Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of headroom for doing with when you're using the Q.  So far, I've been playing Destiny with the Q and chatting every night and it's been working fine.  So I'd say that, yes, you should be fine.  Amping it will give you more headroom if you find yourself needing it.  It should also improve the SQ a bit.

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #26,059 of 48,583
  Is it better than the Astros?  I'd say they both have their pros and cons.  The biggest pro of the Recon (for me) is that it uses THX for surround rather than DH.  Some people prefer DH, I do not.  The biggest pro of the Astro is that it lets you set your game/chat balance.  This is something that isn't really super necessary but it's a convenience that I really really miss when I don't have it.

The Recon has enough volume to drive the Q701 if you're not chatting.  If you're chatting, you usually want to turn the game sounds down a little and turn the Recon up a bit, which will give you more chat volume.  Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of headroom for doing with when you're using the Q.  So far, I've been playing Destiny with the Q and chatting every night and it's been working fine.  So I'd say that, yes, you should be fine.  Amping it will give you more headroom if you find yourself needing it.  It should also improve the SQ a bit.

what is the difference between THX and DB? Do you get the same exact sound with both? (quality of your area around you/ pin point accuracy?)

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #26,060 of 48,583
  what is the difference between THX and DB? Do you get the same exact sound with both? (quality of your area around you/ pin point accuracy?)

There are videos on the thread that show the differences.  You can listen with any headphones and hear for yourself.

There's also this video that user Chicolom posted a little while back:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-7-9-2014-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added/25095#post_10770608

Hopefully MLE will add it to the main post because it's far too useful to be lost in the discussion.  Keep in mind that SBX and THX processing are essentially the same thing (Creative stopped paying to use the THX name and rebranded their ripoff as SBX).

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #26,062 of 48,583
I just purchased my X1 + BoomPro

now to settle the Mixamp and etc - hope to have your recommendations

I was really thinking of just getting
the ASTRO Mixamp for PS3/PS4 (and maybe even WiiU if needed)
the Sound Blaster Z or ZX (can't decide... is the ACM really useful?) or the Omni for PC

but it seems like I can skip the ASTRO Mixamp altogether?
can I just use the PS4 Optical out to the Sound Blaster Z and then output to my headphones?

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #26,063 of 48,583
  I just purchased my X1 + BoomPro

now to settle the Mixamp and etc - hope to have your recommendations

I was really thinking of just getting
the ASTRO Mixamp for PS3/PS4 (and maybe even WiiU if needed)
the Sound Blaster Z or ZX (can't decide... is the ACM really useful?) or the Omni for PC

but it seems like I can skip the ASTRO Mixamp altogether?
can I just use the PS4 Optical out to the Sound Blaster Z and then output to my headphones?

I'm not sure if you can run your PS4 into you SBZ and decode it that way.  But you are going to have issues with your Boompro since you'll need to plug the mic into your controller and the headphone into your computer.

Regard Z vs ZX vs Omni, I immediately crossed ZX off my list when shopping as it's just extra crap I don't need.  If you don't immediately go, "hey, that's handy!" then you don't need it.  Z vs Omni then, I picked the Omni because it was cheaper.  I'm happy I did though, because it's a lot easier to deal with all the cables up on my desk than digging behind my computer every time I want to reroute cables for testing.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #26,064 of 48,583

I'm not sure if you can run your PS4 into you SBZ and decode it that way.  But you are going to have issues with your Boompro since you'll need to plug the mic into your controller and the headphone into your computer.

Regard Z vs ZX vs Omni, I immediately crossed ZX off my list when shopping as it's just extra crap I don't need.  If you don't immediately go, "hey, that's handy!" then you don't need it.  Z vs Omni then, I picked the Omni because it was cheaper.  I'm happy I did though, because it's a lot easier to deal with all the cables up on my desk than digging behind my computer every time I want to reroute cables for testing.

thanks for the reply

seems like for the Boompro - I just need to use the provided Y Adapter right? 

hmm I wanted to get the Omni but the inputs are limited for me at this moment.
was thinking of getting the ZX for the Audio Control Module - which would help with the rerouting problem... and well my PS4 :X

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #26,065 of 48,583

Hey I also use the recon3d but when I use a table mic with it there's a loud buzzing noise
Does that happen with yours?
Or is there a problem with the mic input on my recon3d

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #26,067 of 48,583

I have testing notes and a review linked in my signature about using a Recon3D USB with a Q701 and Xbox 360, though I agree that the Recon3D USB makes chat setup super easy on the Playstations and PC since they recognize the USB connection as a mic input, just plug in headphones and a $3-$6 lapel mic and DONE! Well, I do also like adding an amp between the Recon3D and headphones, as it adds more volume headroom, "strength" or authority to tightly control the Q701 speaker diaphragms, and I've found that a quality amp will help treble sounds less brittle or fatiguing (which I'm sensitive to).

seems like the SPDIF IN on the Sound Blaster Z/ZX only accept PCM and not DD :/
oh well - any other options?

Yes, this is due to licensing restrictions. True to almost all PC cards. The only units I know of that are in production which can interface with USB for PC audio and Optical with DDL decoding for console audio is the Recon3D USB which we've just mentioned and creative's new X7 which is on it's way soon:
http://www.soundblaster.com/x7/

Or, you could always buy separate devices.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #26,068 of 48,583
I'm waiting for Sound Blaster X7.

I just need confirmation that doesn't have any hiss on high volumea and chat works without issues on PS4 party system .

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #26,069 of 48,583
sigh. in a sense I'm back to the drawing board.

The Philips Fidelio X1 + V-Moda BoomPro are definitely on the list.
I definitely need a sound card since my mobo's integrated sound card isn't that good.. and I suppose SPDIF out is only Stereo PCM as well :/
- the Z/ZX or Omni would resolve that... but not accepting DD5.1 via Optical IN is a MEGA bummer. I'm really leaning to the ZX for the ACM so I don't have to reach to the rear... and it seems better than the Omni spec-wise... Omni is tempting for its convenience... so I'm kinda stuck (trying to imagine if I would use it for Macbook Pro etc... though I have Audinst HUD-MX1 that I currently use)
- If price isn't much of an issue, ZX is recommended right? (ZXR is way out)

After reading more about ASTRO Mixamp, I feel less and less inclined to get it on the PS4 :/
- The Recon3D USB looks really good as an alternative... but the prices are not friendly
- any other Mixamp type stuff I should consider?

Audinst HUD-MX1 - is the Sound Blaster Z a better sound solution?

man - this is getting way more complicated than I thought.

EDIT:
what's a good extension cable to use with the Fidelio X1 + BoomPro? would different impedance in the cables affect things?

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #26,070 of 48,583
Wait for the Soundblaster X7 if you have the cash. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back