Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 18, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #25,501 of 48,568
Well, I returned from Gamescom today and was disappointed that Turtle Beach had NO DH-X products at the show...
Good experience it was, though I didn't get to try any of the interesting, playable demos as Destiny, Bloodborne, The Order and all the other interesting IPs had a 2 - 5 hour long line of people [or were closed for other visitors for the day, as the line was already just enormous].... Yep, there were signs with estimated waiting times 
blink.gif

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #25,502 of 48,568
If binaural was a thing for gaming, virtual surround alternatives, wouldn't be necessary. But binaural + games are extremely rare, which is WHY we use virtual surround. You're not going to get anywhere NEAR what binaural or virtual surround does by standard 2 channel sources.

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #25,503 of 48,568
  Well, I returned from Gamescom today and was disappointed that Turtle Beach had NO DH-X products at the show...
Good experience it was, though I didn't get to try any of the interesting, playable demos as Destiny, Bloodborne, The Order and all the other interesting IPs had a 2 - 5 hour long line of people [or were closed for other visitors for the day, as the line was already just enormous].... Yep, there were signs with estimated waiting times 
blink.gif

Yeah, I've given up trying to demo any of the new exciting games at PAX.  I just don't really care to stand in 2-hour lines when there's so many other cool things to do.  I'll be at PAX Prime in a couple weeks, maybe TB will have something there...

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #25,504 of 48,568
I did a blind test, literally, where I closed my eyes and would try and line my crosshair up to something in game making a a sound and with the Xonar and Creative sound cards I found the surround sound and accuracy to be very good. The sound cards did a great job and I'm very happy I got one. I do the test with my eyes close to make it objective and it was very cool to see just how good it was. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #25,505 of 48,568
Like I have said before:

If I had to make strict choice to LIVE with, with no other possible outcomes, beween a top of the line headphone like an HD800/Stax Omega, with stereo, or a $15 KSC75 with a virtual surround device, I would choose the latter, every single time. I wouldn't think twice either.

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #25,506 of 48,568
Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker.
I Recently upgraded my sound card from the recon3d to a SB ZXR.  I have only just started to notice that I was not getting surround and with this new card, I am hearing a lot more.  I use ATH M50s and they are alright but I am starting to see their limits in a gaming capacity.  I here the directional audio but with the M50s it seems like there is not much space between the directions or that the sound if too close to my ears.  Also they get uncomfortable after long use.

So after reading Mad Lust's list I saw two pairs of cans that stuck out the most for a good balance between fun and competitive - the DT990 and the AKG k712 Pros

Both of these headphones seem to still have a low end without giving up the directional audio

Price wise I have seen both of these pairs on amazon for around $350-$380

I found a the DT990 600 Ohms (which is the version I want) for $229 on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BeyerDynamic-DT-990-Premium-Headphones-600-OHM-/311002618844?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4869335bdc

The price is good but if the K712 are better then I'll swing that way

Hopefully you guys havesome tips for me.  Thanks!

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #25,507 of 48,568
I Recently upgraded my sound card from the recon3d to a SB ZXR.  I have only just started to notice that I was not getting surround and with this new card, I am hearing a lot more.  I use ATH M50s and they are alright but I am starting to see their limits in a gaming capacity.  I here the directional audio but with the M50s it seems like there is not much space between the directions or that the sound if too close to my ears.  Also they get uncomfortable after long use.

So after reading Mad Lust's list I saw two pairs of cans that stuck out the most for a good balance between fun and competitive - the DT990 and the AKG k712 Pros

Both of these headphones seem to still have a low end without giving up the directional audio

Hopefully you guys havesome tips for me.  Thanks!

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #25,509 of 48,568
So, based on your list and my current budget I'm debating between the Creative Aurvana Live ($68 Amazon) or Ultrasone HFI-15G ($89 Amazon) and also these two others that aren't in the list TRITTON 720+ ($85 Amazon) and Creative WP-380 ($85 Amazon).

The WP-380 option would double as a bluetooth headset for my phone and some reviewers said it sound similar to the CAL.
As for the Tritton's people say its overpriced like razer or beats but for this price it seems to be a good deal and looks nice too.

Things to consider for me: I have a pretty big head, the headset im using right now (Microsoft LX-3000) barely fit me at the max size. I will use mainly for gaming and listening to music on my desktop. I need it to have low sound leak but still want to hear some outside noise if people try to talk to me. As for the microphone i would use Zalman ZM-MIC1 that straps on the headphone cable.

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #25,510 of 48,568
Hopefully you guys have some tips for me.  Thanks!

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.
Did you completely remove the Creative Recon3D software, before installing the newer Creative SBX software?
Might consider getting the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, more "balanced" sound then the DT990 and 250-Ohm headphone are a little easier for the SB-ZxR to drive.
Used DT880s start at $156.50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-PRO-Headband-Headphones-Silver-Black-/321492295369?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item4ada6f1ec9

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #25,511 of 48,568

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.
Did you completely remove the Creative Recon3D software, before installing the newer Creative SBX software?
Might consider getting the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, more "balanced" sound then the DT990 and 250-Ohm headphone are a little easier for the SB-ZxR to drive.
Used DT880s start at $156.50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-PRO-Headband-Headphones-Silver-Black-/321492295369?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item4ada6f1ec9

I did not disable to the onboard audio but I have never installed the drivers for it

I should have specified that I did a new pc build entirely and there was fresh windows install

I have looked at the 880s but what drew me towards the 990s was mad lust's review.  At least what I pulled from it was that it was a fun headphone, still having bass and highs, while still maintaining directional accuracy.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #25,512 of 48,568
  Yeah, I've given up trying to demo any of the new exciting games at PAX.  I just don't really care to stand in 2-hour lines when there's so many other cool things to do.  I'll be at PAX Prime in a couple weeks, maybe TB will have something there...

Get press credentials and then organize meetings with the developers. You'll get to set an appointment and then skip the line when its your time. Wonderful stuff, that.

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #25,513 of 48,568
Sound coming from PS4 controller might be sufficient for You, although plugging headset into it drains battery life. What's Your budget?

hello guys. just joining this forum coz i liked this thread.

i have some question about PS4 gaming headphone. I can not seems to buy astro mixamp because they're too pricey for me. And i dont have any DAC/AMP yet.

If im using headphone directly to PS4 controller, can i get great sound?

or what headphone nice for me?

NB:
- I love Single PLayer games (horror,action,RPG,etc)
- i dont need Mic yet ^^
- i dont need surround too (for now)

thx guys
Sound coming from PS4 controller might be sufficient for You, although plugging headset into it drains battery life. What's Your budget?

My budget is150 bucks .
1. How good sony gold wireless sound quality over turtle beach px4 and tritton 720+?
2. Is mixamp surround will work with all ps4 game?

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #25,514 of 48,568
It appears that the HyperX Cloud headphones and QPed QH-90 headphones are Takstar Pro 80s with an added mic.
Maybe they should be added to the gaming guide, after someone who owns them posts a review.

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #25,515 of 48,568
My budget is150 bucks .
1. How good sony gold wireless sound quality over turtle beach px4 and tritton 720+?
2. Is mixamp surround will work with all ps4 game?

1. Out of the three You mentioned ax720+ sounds reasonable and You can upgrade it later by keeping the box and selling just the headphones
2. Yep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back