Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 15, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #25,426 of 48,566
The incoming September patch is supposed to bring big changes to the multiplayer.

Yeah, that patch is called Destiny and it'll be much more fun and sociable/friendly.
My biggest gripe is the player base... Was playing hardcore mode (because not only are all other FPS games "inferior," but also all other game modes within BF4 itself XD ), and for the first time in three days of playing I got to sit in the gunner seat of an attack chopper (the two seater). Pilot starts flying out, quarter of the way in he hits something and starts flying back towards base. We land, and like a good little engineer I pop out for a second and repair, pop back in but we're just sitting on the ground, waiting... Then a teammate (I assume in his squad) snipes me out from the gunner seat so he can take it. They both die anyway somewhere in the time it takes me to respawn.
BF is most fun when I'm playing with one or two buddies (too much chatter in a full squad) and I'm messing around with sniping, vehicles, and physics, not so much fun when I'm trying to win. I really don't care if others enjoy it... Good for you, enjoy it, but I'm not hooked.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #25,427 of 48,566
You need a good gun Evshrug..Ace 23 playing has medic is a good one to start with put a angled grip and laser with a red dot sight on and give yourself health and you should do quite good in a round!

Thanks for the tip. I haven't unlocked the Ace 23 yet, but often I go positive using the DMR's, so long as I play careful.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #25,428 of 48,566
Yeah, that patch is called Destiny and it'll be much more fun and sociable/friendly.
My biggest gripe is the player base... Was playing hardcore mode (because not only are all other FPS games "inferior," but also all other game modes within BF4 itself XD ), and for the first time in three days of playing I got to sit in the gunner seat of an attack chopper (the two seater). Pilot starts flying out, quarter of the way in he hits something and starts flying back towards base. We land, and like a good little engineer I pop out for a second and repair, pop back in but we're just sitting on the ground, waiting... Then a teammate (I assume in his squad) snipes me out from the gunner seat so he can take it. They both die anyway somewhere in the time it takes me to respawn.
BF is most fun when I'm playing with one or two buddies (too much chatter in a full squad) and I'm messing around with sniping, vehicles, and physics, not so much fun when I'm trying to win. I really don't care if others enjoy it... Good for you, enjoy it, but I'm not hooked.

Teamkilling is one of the reasons I don't play hardcore. People just think it's core mode with less gui and health and keep throwing these damn nades everywhere and shooting each other

BF4 can be fun when trying to win but in 32 player team one there is only so much one 5 player squad can do

After first alpha and beta (courtesy of Change is Good) I am pretty sure Destiny will win Multiplayer Game of the Year

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #25,429 of 48,566
One thing people need to understand here: MANY TELEVISIONS WILL NOT OUTPUT DOLBY DIGITAL THROUGH THEIR OPTICAL OUTPUT JACK

99% of the time, you will NOT be able to get surround to your devices if they're hooked up to the TVs digital out. The only time you will is through the TV tuner and possibly, it's apps.

Now, not ALL tvs abide by this, and some do pass Dolby Digital from other devices. Just do NOT gamble on this.

There is a list somewhere online for 5.1 pass thru optical. I know all Sony tvs do it and I belive Vizio does also. Last I checked Samsung does not.

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #25,430 of 48,566
  There is also a whole line of marantz receivers. Which are enormous in size, have bazillion functions headphone gamers do not need and are also expensive. As far as I remember there was a petition for Fiio to make such a product. I don't know how it ended though

There are also the old Harmon Kardon AVR's.  Mine actually does DH, but first I went with the recon because it's got THX.  Then I realized that it didn't get loud enough to effectively do chat/game balance, also I hated the wire across the floor.  

I tried the AVR and it worked well enough if you turned the in-game volume way down and then cranked the receiver volume.  That had a couple problems too:  1 the wire across the floor again and 2 swapping back to normal speakers left my volume WAY TOO HIGH.

After that I went with the Mixamp 5.8 and it does pretty much everything I need.  A little extra amping from the E11 and I'm golden.  It's a shame that they stopped making these.

Re the Fiio, Chicolom has a link to the petition in his sig.  Fiio straight up stated that they had no plans to do this anytime soon.

This made me lol. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #25,431 of 48,566
The Fiio

There are also the old Harmon Kardon AVR's.  Mine actually does DH, but first I went with the recon because it's got THX.  Then I realized that it didn't get loud enough to effectively do chat/game balance, also I hated the wire across the floor.  

Fiio has this wireless trasmitter that could help with the wires on the floor it's called W1

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #25,432 of 48,566
You need a good gun Evshrug..Ace 23 playing has medic is a good one to start with put a angled grip and laser with a red dot sight on and give yourself health and you should do quite good in a round!

See, this is what I hated about BF2142 onward: you're expected to unlock all the decent stuff or die trying.

It was especially irritating in Bad Company 2 when everyone else had the M60 + Magnum Ammo and I didn't yet, well before the M60 got nerfed hard. Basically, two hits from that and you're dead, made doubly worse by BC2's wonky hit detection.

EA even saw a monetization opportunity here and started selling hideously expensive unlock shortcut "DLC" for those of us who don't have time to get repeatedly thrown into the meat grinder.

While I do like class and weapon customization of the sort the later Battlefield games offer, I prefer the days when that wasn't hidden behind some RPG grindfest and everyone had everything available to them at once. Evens the playing field because the players are no longer divided between the haves and the have-nots.

As for BF4, I still don't feel like paying $50-56 for the game + Premium, and let's be honest, there's no point now in buying BF3 or BF4 without Premium. I've still got a week's worth of Game Time waiting to start; might do so near the holiday season when the sales really get going.

Also, I still don't like playing with just random pubbies everywhere. I need actual friends with VoIP backing me up. But everyone I run into either seems to not care for BF3, absolutely despises Origin, or isn't playing on PC.

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #25,433 of 48,566
Well, people despising Origin isn't surprising at all

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #25,434 of 48,566

See, this is what I hated about BF2142 onward: you're expected to unlock all the decent stuff or die trying.

It was especially irritating in Bad Company 2 when everyone else had the M60 + Magnum Ammo and I didn't yet, well before the M60 got nerfed hard. Basically, two hits from that and you're dead, made doubly worse by BC2's wonky hit detection.

EA even saw a monetization opportunity here and started selling hideously expensive unlock shortcut "DLC" for those of us who don't have time to get repeatedly thrown into the meat grinder.

While I do like class and weapon customization of the sort the later Battlefield games offer, I prefer the days when that wasn't hidden behind some RPG grindfest and everyone had everything available to them at once. Evens the playing field because the players are no longer divided between the haves and the have-nots.

As for BF4, I still don't feel like paying $50-56 for the game + Premium, and let's be honest, there's no point now in buying BF3 or BF4 without Premium. I've still got a week's worth of Game Time waiting to start; might do so near the holiday season when the sales really get going.

Also, I still don't like playing with just random pubbies everywhere. I need actual friends with VoIP backing me up. But everyone I run into either seems to not care for BF3, absolutely despises Origin, or isn't playing on PC.

This pretty much nails my issue with BF4 right now.  You pay full price for a game and almost ALL the content is locked behind 1 - "random" loot boxes or 2 - MEGA GRINDING.  

And I'm sorry, but calling BF4's monetization strategy "RPG grindfest" is doing a disservice to RPG's. No, this is mobile app levels of grinding.  It's structured so that you'd have to play for MONTHS to unlock a majority of the content... of you can just pay them money.  

This is absurd for a game that you have to pay to own in the first place.  I get it for a F2P game.  But you get 5 hours of campaign and 6 guns for your $60 ($30 on sale, whatever).  If you want the other 54 guns, have fun grinding for the next year.  And don't get me started on unlocking all the mods ONE gun at a time. 

Sorry, I get worked up on this level of consumer hostile monetization.  The Origin thing is all part of the same issue and there are great reasons to despise it.

/deep breath

On topic, I used my HP100's with BF a bit yesterday.  It was my first time using them for gaming.  I gotta say, they worked really well.  No they don't have the monster soundstage of the Q701, but I had no issues picking up directional cues.  And the really balanced sound was a great middle ground between the "fun" of an X1 and the "competitive" of the Q701.  I give it my thumbs up for gaming!

I pulled out my backup $30 Sony headphones at work today because I forgot my HP100 at home.  Bleh!  Uncomfortable, boomy bloated bass, lack of extension in both the highs and the lows.  I'll be bringing my HP100's back to work on Monday for sure!

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #25,435 of 48,566
You guys are blowing the grind thing out of proportion, that's what 64 player domination servers are for, to unlock the guns, and with xp boosts drop rates being 100% it's not that big of a deal

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #25,437 of 48,566
  You guys are blowing the grind thing out of proportion, that's what 64 player domination servers are for, to unlock the guns, and with xp boosts drop rates being 100% it's not that big of a deal

This is a good gun and it's the first gun you get for the support class (make sure you take all the crap attachments off before you use the gun or you won't be able to hit sh!t) put a angled grip on it and tap fire, you will rule from a distance p.s if you are new to bf4 give hardcore a miss for a while!

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #25,438 of 48,566

This is a good gun and it's the first gun you get for the support class (make sure you take all the crap attachments off before you use the gun or you won't be able to hit sh!t) put a angled grip on it and tap fire, you will rule from a distance p.s if you are new to bf4 give hardcore a miss for a while!

I know right. The AK-12 is useful too, nice mid to long range accuracy, first sniper rifle is good too

Also, played the P.T and the audio cues in this game are fenomenal. Scary as schiit but fenomenal

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #25,439 of 48,566
That's one thing I like abour CoD. Most guns are viable. Yes, there are your OP guns every game, but that is only a partial crutch. You can easily dominate with the first few choices. Every CoD has differemt ways of unlocking items, but I think my fave was BLOPS1 which you had to unlock via levels and in game currency. Made gambling your money important all the way until you maxed out on levels and unlocked everything.

High Roller Gun Game. No one wanted to play me, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back