Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #25,216 of 48,568
Well, I just hope you understand that what is happening isn't that anyone is saying BF4 is bad, what is happening is you're asking us to buy it, and "I" keep saying I don't want to buy it and why I don't since you keep asking a couple times a month. Nothing to argue about.

I won't cry you a river, instead I'll say just go eat one of your sandwiches :p

No, what is happening here is every time I bring up BF4, someone who hasn't even tried it, yet, says "I don't think it's worth it." Yes, I always ask you to "buy it," because I want you to "play it" with me. That is what a friend asks the other when he has a game the he thinks the other would enjoy playing with him, right? However, I don't recall telling "you" to buy it in my post, or even in this thread (as of late). Yes, I bring it up when we chat on PSN, and I already mentioned why.

Maybe I'm just not your friend like I thought I was, I guess.... 
frown.gif

I've been playing a bit of BF4 today and I can say with almost certainty that when Destiny comes out I'll be leaving BF4 behind. So far it hasn't captivated me. I spend most of my time running from A to B only to get shot by someone with a nice long scope who I couldn't possibly see. Maybe it'll be more enjoyable if people I knew were playing with me. Oh well. Should take a break and write a few articles for the website before I start it up again.

It will be different playing with a full squad that you know and communicate with. I absolutely hate playing by myself...

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #25,217 of 48,568
Axel just brought this to my attention, and I hope some of you decide to join us on the battlefield. BF4 is having an appreciation week, I believe, and all their digital content is on sale in the PS Store, even Premium (which never happens).

Edit: I think the sale is for PS Plus members only, which most of you probably already are.

Hmmm... doesn't look like I'm "telling" people to "buy" it. If I can read, correctly, it says "hoping"...

Yeah, Destiny will be out in a month... and it will take up most of our gaming time when it releases. The BF4 Premium sale price is entirely worth it, though. Five map packs, with one yet to be released, and tons of extra content and weapons to unlock. Trust me, you will not want to feel left out of the squad when we hit up the new map servers and such... especially when we hit up Operation Metro.

And, here, I'm just stating my case of why I think it is worth it. Still, no sight of telling people to buy it.

Either way, I'm done, here...

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #25,218 of 48,568
Too bad that brief experience with the beta will probably be all I play of Destiny. Promising game, just there's no PC version, no USB KB+M or PS Move support on PS3, let alone PS4, and I CANNOT stand aiming with gamepad twiddlysticks. There are many genres I like playing with gamepads, but FPS/TPSs are not at all on that list.

As for Battlefield, I just hope the GameSpy server shutdown hasn't killed the community for all the good old games. VPN is still an option, but I doubt the community at large knows Tunngle is a thing. But before the shutdown, plenty of people were still playing BF1942. I know they're still out there.

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #25,219 of 48,568
Too much arguing!

I'll side with Change on this. He's not forcing you to buy it, not twisting your arm. You don't want it then you don't want it. I feel like he pushing it because it's on sale for a good price, and well that's a great price. I could be biased here but it's totally worth it to anyone who might be interested. But you can get it cheaper on ebay now ($24) and on a disc. 

What can make it a deal breaker is Premium. I bought Premium for my Xbox One and PS4, because I love the game. But $50 is expensive for Premium. No joke, you could buy two used games for that price. So it's up to you guys. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #25,220 of 48,568
Too bad that brief experience with the beta will probably be all I play of Destiny. Promising game, just there's no PC version, no USB KB+M or PS Move support on PS3, let alone PS4, and I CANNOT stand aiming with gamepad twiddlysticks. There are many genres I like playing with gamepads, but FPS/TPSs are not at all on that list.

As for Battlefield, I just hope the GameSpy server shutdown hasn't killed the community for all the good old games. VPN is still an option, but I doubt the community at large knows Tunngle is a thing. But before the shutdown, plenty of people were still playing BF1942. I know they're still out there.

For PC gamers (who don't LOATHE Origin like I do), BF4 is getting a one week free demo.  So now there's a demo on PC and PS3 but nothing on PS4.  Boo.

I also hate playing shooters with a controller, but I've been training myself because I really want to play Destiny.  So far so good, I felt like I had a clue what I was doing in that game! 

EDIT - Source

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #25,221 of 48,568
For PC gamers (who don't LOATHE Origin like I do), BF4 is getting a one week free demo.  So now there's a demo on PC and PS3 but nothing on PS4.  Boo.

I also hate playing shooters with a controller, but I've been training myself because I really want to play Destiny.  So far so good, I felt like I had a clue what I was doing in that game! 

EDIT - Source

Gonna have to snag that one-week trial while it lasts! The good thing about Origin game time is that as long as you get it tied to your acvount and start downloading, you don't actually have to start the trial period until you're ready. Still got my 48 hours of Titanfall, at any rate.

FPS-wise, it's mainly TOXIKK and UT4 that I'm looking forward to at the moment. The golden age of FPSs might just be coming back...

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #25,222 of 48,568
Ok, so I was testing out the Dualshock 4 with the PC (as well as with Xpadder), and it makes a better controller than the 360 pad. The triggers aren't digital, so they register with more content, and you gain a few more buttons than the 360 pad. My first test was Mass Effect 3 demo, which as you may know, EA/Bioware was stupid enough to not include native pad support. After a few hours of tweaking (I'm crazy), I was able to get a scheme good enough to make ME3 playable, with a few annoying quirks, like having to swap your teammates powers VERY slowly. Adjusting the mouse speed in Xpadder made the game a lot more playable than even on the 360 pad, which you still would've needed a keyboard around for special attack shortcuts.

After all that testing, I still wouldn't get Mass Effect on PC because it's just awkward doing certain things with non-native pad support, like your in game dialogue decisions.

I will never, ever play a game with a Keyboard and Mouse. Just... don't argue with me on this. Controllers for life.

not sure if you've tried but I think DS4Windows would really help with the "non-native pad support pit"
I think it works better than Xpadder and you can just create a specific "Mass Effect" profile than you can switch on-the-fly with a swipe on the DS4 touchpad

Here's the post I made on NeoGAF about DS4Windows (specifically J2K branch)
Use DS4Windows by J2K
http://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=51535
you can read more about the development here
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-yet-another-DualShock-4-driver?page=111
EDIT: Please note that J2K's version is a fork of DS4Windows - he uses the same thread (as Nabs in posts below)
Please ensure you download the J2K fork from J2K (or Jay2Kings) forum signature link - and not the one in the opening post - that's not the one I'm using.
- supports profiles (so even for games that do not have controller support, you can map them to work and save it as a profile)
- supports multiple controller (for that local multiplayer fun)
- supports DS4 lightbar (you can turn it off or set it to glow a different color with different profiles)
- supports the touchpad (pretty nifty)
- supports shift-key modifier (now you can make any button behave like a Shift key to add even more functionality! imagine this - Press the Share Button once and then the Square button to screenshot or Triangle button to stream/save video)
:D

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #25,223 of 48,568
Too much arguing!

But you can get it cheaper on ebay now ($24) and on a disc.

+1 on your first point, took an unexpected turn.

To your second point, is EA still doing that "must have/get a license code to play multiplayer" thing?

And thirdly, since you're here... Your cable for me arrived (and the Mixamp clip). Yay! And thank you! I'm going to try it out tonight :)

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #25,224 of 48,568
Sorry to bother, but I have to ask: anyone know a good headphone for about 100 dollars, and are not Audio Technica AD700 or the Aurvana Live(1)?
Both these headphones changed price/are difficult to find!

Also, one thing that I was thinking: are they the best for only "enviromental" effect?
I'm not going to use the headphones for multiplayer, but only for single player campaigns...
Any suggestions?(ps4 and pc use!)

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #25,225 of 48,568
You'll find several sub-$100 recommendations on the first page, but my money is on the Soundmagic HP100.  I got mine for $125 including shipping and paypal fees, so you should be able to find them for around that much, especially now that the HP150 is out and some people want to upgrade.  

I really enjoy the sound quality on these, and although the soundstage was noticeably smaller than my father-in-law's HD650's, they are better than any other closed headphones I've tried.  The bass is pretty good as well, though I was initially surprised at the supposed "lack of bass" compared to my Sony Pulse Elites, but that is because the bass on HP100 is articulate but not bloated.  I feel the mids are quite good as well, which is important to me since I listen to a lot of vocals.

I'd say scour the trading forums for HP100 at your price range.  Otherwise, if you don't want to mess with used headphones, look at MLE's suggestions on the first page :)

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #25,226 of 48,568
Sorry to bother, but I have to ask: anyone know a good headphone for about 100 dollars, and are not Audio Technica AD700 or the Aurvana Live(1)?

Both these headphones changed price/are difficult to find!

Also, one thing that I was thinking: are they the best for only "enviromental" effect?

I'm not going to use the headphones for multiplayer, but only for single player campaigns...

Any suggestions?(ps4 and pc use!)

Ultrasone HFI-15G. Very, very immersive, with fantastic surround cues. Very comfortable, basically indestructible. They sell for around $85. Check the review. I like it a lot. Definitely my fave open headphone for gaming under $100.

As for Xpadder, it also has saved profiles. I have one set up just for Mass Effect.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #25,228 of 48,568
You don't need to decode DTS for either. Games all have Dolby Digital somewhere in the code (PS4, and for DTS only movies, etc, you use the Bitstream Mix option which allows DTS to play as Dolby Headphone or THX Tru Studio. As far as PC, I haven't played a multi-channel enabled game that doesn't work with Dolby headphone.

For PC, you can just buy a really cheap U3 or something.

A used first gen Turtle Beach DSS should be plenty for the 15G. Also, the 15G is insensitive so it doesn't pick up much hiss. Even my hissy Mixamp 5.8 is pretty silent with it.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #25,230 of 48,568
Wait, why? The SBX-equipped Creative soundcards are better than the THX equipped ones. SBX is basically the evolution of THX Tru Studio.

I only mention THX TS because it's basically the only real alternative to Dolby Headphone for CONSOLE use. PC gamers have it easy in terms of choices. So much variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back