Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 7, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #25,186 of 48,566
Just in case I'll ever go back to pc gaming, how viable is using Asus Xonar u3 only as virtual surround processor and connecting it to an external dac via optical?

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #25,187 of 48,566
As good as the devices you attach to it. You're only using the U3 for the DH processing. Your dac and amp do the rest of the job. You gain no extra benefit choosing another, more expensive DH device if all you're sending out is the digital signal.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #25,188 of 48,566
I've had both the U3 and the Omni.
MLE is absolutely right in a sense; if you only plan to use the external sound card for its DSP and then use the optical out to connect to DAC->AMP->HP, then for the most part, the U3 is fine.

However, I'd also have to mention the build quality and convenience... the U3 just looks like a big fat thumb drive, so it can actually block adjacent USB ports on your laptop if they are close together.  The DAC is the same chip, from what I understand, as the Omni, but the amp sucks.  Honestly, I couldn't hear any difference between the U3 amp and the onboard Realtek drivers.  

The Omni is more expensive, but it is larger device that is connected to the USB port via cable, so it doesn't get in the way of adjacent USB ports.  Also, it has a pretty good amp (and the same decent DAC) that can tide you over until you upgrade your peripherals.  That's what I did, and it tided me over nicely until I got my Asgard 2.  I still think the Omni DAC is fine for my purposes though.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #25,190 of 48,566
U3 it is then

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #25,191 of 48,566
Uh, the U3 also comes with a USB extension cable, so it SHOULDN'T be blocking any USB ports, unless you're not using that extension cable.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #25,192 of 48,566
  I've had both the U3 and the Omni.
MLE is absolutely right in a sense; if you only plan to use the external sound card for its DSP and then use the optical out to connect to DAC->AMP->HP, then for the most part, the U3 is fine.

However, I'd also have to mention the build quality and convenience... the U3 just looks like a big fat thumb drive, so it can actually block adjacent USB ports on your laptop if they are close together.  The DAC is the same chip, from what I understand, as the Omni, but the amp sucks.  Honestly, I couldn't hear any difference between the U3 amp and the onboard Realtek drivers.  

The Omni is more expensive, but it is larger device that is connected to the USB port via cable, so it doesn't get in the way of adjacent USB ports.  Also, it has a pretty good amp (and the same decent DAC) that can tide you over until you upgrade your peripherals.  That's what I did, and it tided me over nicely until I got my Asgard 2.  I still think the Omni DAC is fine for my purposes though.

U3 has a little usb-usb cable to prevent it from sticking to far out of the pc case

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #25,194 of 48,566
Something like an optical U3 for consoles would be a winner... Sigh.
Too bad Fiio gave up on that for now ;/
Still, I don't understand why there isn't such a product. I'd buy even if it was twice the price as long as it could only serve as a DSP letting us use our rigs.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #25,196 of 48,566
Something like an optical U3 for consoles would be a winner... Sigh.
Too bad Fiio gave up on that for now ;/
Still, I don't understand why there isn't such a product. I'd buy even if it was twice the price as long as it could only serve as a DSP letting us use our rigs.

Device with hdmi passthrough that turns 7.1 lpcm into dolby headphone and outputs it to tosling would be my dream. + usb for voice chat of course

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #25,197 of 48,566
Yeah, Destiny will be out in a month... and it will take up most of our gaming time when it releases. The BF4 Premium sale price is entirely worth it, though. Five map packs, with one yet to be released, and tons of extra content and weapons to unlock. Trust me, you will not want to feel left out of the squad when we hit up the new map servers and such... especially when we hit up Operation Metro.

Operation Metro? Oh good, so I can pay $28 to sometimes play bf3 on my PS4? Jk! That was a pretty good map in "rush" mode.

I dunno if premium is worth it since the content "season" is almost done. Yes you immediately get access to almost all the maps, but shortly after the last content is released a large chunk of the player base will move on to the fall games. I personally won't get familiar enough with map routes and gun exploration before the only players left are the grizzled hardcore, the most "fun" time to join the game would've been two months in (since the game required Day 1 patches, and several more updates).

So far the games haven't recaptured the feeling I had playing Star Wars Battlefront I & II, I played hours of the demo of the first game and felt the campaign of the second was really fun the whole way through.

Sorry, should've read back a bit haha. That card is probably a little over my budget, how's the asus xonar dg?

I don't know much about the Asus audio products first-hand (their GTX 660 graphics card is really nice tho!), I would defer to PurpleAngel about which of those is the value sweetspot.
If you want one surround processor to work with both PC and any console, Creative's Recon3D USB is the most versatile. Should have enough amp power for your A700x (sounded like it was made for my AD700), very low noise floor and clean sound in case you add another amp later, can tweak sound settings for your personal taste while on PC (or Mac) and save those settings so you can use them while connected to console, supports mic input and gain boost for PS3 & 4, and glows TRON blue hahaha. This could take the place of the Mixamp, several of us regulars here use it or have used one.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #25,198 of 48,566
It really does sound binaural. Yet, it still sounds like I'm wearing headphones, lol.

I was being sarcastic, since SBX simply used an actual binaural recording in that video to demonstrate "their" tech.

A bit misrepresentative -it's not that good
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #25,199 of 48,566
Operation Metro? Oh good, so I can pay $28 to sometimes play bf3 on my PS4? Jk! That was a pretty good map in "rush" mode.

I dunno if premium is worth it since the content "season" is almost done. Yes you immediately get access to almost all the maps, but shortly after the last content is released a large chunk of the player base will move on to the fall games. I personally won't get familiar enough with map routes and gun exploration before the only players left are the grizzled hardcore, the most "fun" time to join the game would've been two months in (since the game required Day 1 patches, and several more updates).

So far the games haven't recaptured the feeling I had playing Star Wars Battlefront I & II, I played hours of the demo of the first game and felt the campaign of the second was really fun the whole way through.
I don't know much about the Asus audio products first-hand (their GTX 660 graphics card is really nice tho!), I would defer to PurpleAngel about which of those is the value sweetspot.
If you want one surround processor to work with both PC and any console, Creative's Recon3D USB is the most versatile. Should have enough amp power for your A700x (sounded like it was made for my AD700), very low noise floor and clean sound in case you add another amp later, can tweak sound settings for your personal taste while on PC (or Mac) and save those settings so you can use them while connected to console, supports mic input and gain boost for PS3 & 4, and glows TRON blue hahaha. This could take the place of the Mixamp, several of us regulars here use it or have used one.

You mean like BO2 reskinned Nuketown? How about how COD released the same game for 6 years. I bet you paid $60 for each of those, though!

Lol people come up with so many excuses NOT to get the game. The BF community always stays active for a few years. This is actually the time when other people join in, because it is when EA puts it on sale. It happened when BF3 got its Premium edition that included all content plus the game for $60. Just keep playing your games and free PSN content, buddy lol.

Oh, and Ghosts... *barf*. Wait, that community will be moving on to Advanced Warfare when it comes out in the fall. So... you're right, don't get BF and just save your money for that...

Jk! :p

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #25,200 of 48,566
I was being sarcastic, since SBX simply used an actual binaural recording in that video to demonstrate "their" tech.

A bit misrepresentative -it's not that good :p

Hahaha. I had a feeling, but I didn't wanna say anything. XD

Same as some of the DH techs...which were just binaural. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back