Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 7, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #25,171 of 48,566

I see... may I know which dedicated amps are you guys using with your consoles now? ^^

Pretty much any of the ones in the guide.  Scroll down past the headphones for a list of viable amps, along with reviews.

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #25,172 of 48,566
To add to what chicolom wrote earlier about Dolby Headphone vs SBX, I'll chime in and say I agree with what he says. SBX is going to be for those who go in with the headphone audio mentality. Very clear, crisp, detailed sound with very good surround positional cues. I love THX Tru Studio in the same manner that I really like what I hear about SBX, and SBX is even more accurate than THX TS (which has some odd surround placement for angled audio cues, but nothing you can't get used to).

What I prefer on Dolby Headphone is that it doesn't sound like a headphone with surround. It sounds like you're in a room with speakers, reverberations included. If you've ever been in a small room with surround speakers, you know what I'm talking about. Sound cues blend in more with Dolby Headphone, similar to the way sound cues blend in with surround speakers (dealing with reflections of sound and interacting with one another). With THX and SBX, everything is produced cleanly, in that sounds don't interact with one another the way speakers and DH does. With those two, you get sharp, clean audio cues, that stick out in a way that lets you know you're listening to headphones.

DH is more 'ambient' and enveloping (immersive if you wanna say that). I use THX Tru Studio perhaps more than I use Dolby Headphone now, because I play a lot on my laptop away from home, and when I'm home I tend to play with my Pioneer soundbar with more frequency. So I have ample experience with both. I like DH's more theater/fuller, more enveloping sound, which tricks me more times than not in that I sometimes think my speakers are on, and not the headphones.

Long story short, like Chico, I love both. If I'm dealing with analyzing where sounds are coming from and want less processed sound, I feel that SBX is the better choice, as sound placement is defined more cleanly, and you get less reverb and blending in to the overall ambience. That being said, I have played with DH for so long, I personally don't gain an extra advantage using one or the other, and since DH is more atmospheric and immersive, it is STILL my preferred choice of virtual surround.

If you are STRICT about reverb and want to stay closer to the cleanliness of what stereo has to offer, with the benefits of surround positioning, SBX really is hard to pass up. If you are less concerned about that, and want a more theater-like, immersive sound, DH is still a great choice.

I think it falls under neutral vs fun. SBX and THX TS are dryer sounding, and more detailed. DH is warmer/smoother and more musical. That is not to say that THX and SBX aren't fun. They most definitely are. That's not to say you can't analyze the hell out of everything with DH. You most definitely can.

Just giving you more or less what to expect as to where they tend to fall more than not.

One thing that I will say is that SBX and THX TS are definitely more refined sounding than DH.

I feel audiophiles coming into virtual surround are most likely to fall in the SBX camp, due to less sacrifices as to what to expect from their headphone's sound. DH alters the soundscape quite drastically, which can (even for me) be jarring/off putting at first.

If Creative made an SBX device for consoles, I would most definitely be interested in it.

Also, this is more comparing THX Tru Studio vs SBX at default surround and max vs DH-2.

DH-1 is actually quite articulate, and closer to the refinement of the Creative offerings, but the soundstage is smaller. DH-2 is still the best trade off for Dolby Headphone, IMHO.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #25,173 of 48,566
To add to what @chicolom wrote earlier about Dolby Headphone vs SBX, I'll chime in and say I agree with what he says. SBX is going to be for those who go in with the headphone audio mentality. Very clear, crisp, detailed sound with very good surround positional cues. I love THX Tru Studio in the same manner that I really like what I hear about SBX, and SBX is even more accurate than THX TS (which has some odd surround placement for angled audio cues, but nothing you can't get used to).

What I prefer on Dolby Headphone is that it doesn't sound like a headphone with surround. It sounds like you're in a room with speakers, reverberations included. If you've ever been in a small room with surround speakers, you know what I'm talking about. Sound cues blend in more with Dolby Headphone, similar to the way sound cues blend in with surround speakers (dealing with reflections of sound and interacting with one another). With THX and SBX, everything is produced cleanly, in that sounds don't interact with one another the way speakers and DH does. With those two, you get sharp, clean audio cues, that stick out in a way that lets you know you're listening to headphones.

DH is more 'ambient' and enveloping (immersive if you wanna say that). I use THX Tru Studio perhaps more than I use Dolby Headphone now, because I play a lot on my laptop away from home, and when I'm home I tend to play with my Pioneer soundbar with more frequency. So I have ample experience with both. I like DH's more theater/fuller, more enveloping sound, which tricks me more times than not in that I sometimes think my speakers are on, and not the headphones.

Long story short, like Chico, I love both. If I'm dealing with analyzing where sounds are coming from and want less processed sound, I feel that SBX is the better choice, as sound placement is defined more cleanly, and you get less reverb and blending in to the overall ambience. That being said, I have played with DH for so long, I personally don't gain an extra advantage using one or the other, and since DH is more atmospheric and immersive, it is STILL my preferred choice of virtual surround.

If you are STRICT about reverb and want to stay closer to the cleanliness of what stereo has to offer, with the benefits of surround positioning, SBX really is hard to pass up. If you are less concerned about that, and want a more theater-like, immersive sound, DH is still a great choice.

I think it falls under neutral vs fun. SBX and THX TS are dryer sounding, and more detailed. DH is warmer/smoother and more musical. That is not to say that THX and SBX aren't fun. They most definitely are. That's not to say you can't analyze the hell out of everything with DH. You most definitely can.

Just giving you more or less what to expect as to where they tend to fall more than not.

One thing that I will say is that SBX and THX TS are definitely more refined sounding than DH.

I feel audiophiles coming into virtual surround are most likely to fall in the SBX camp, due to less sacrifices as to what to expect from their headphone's sound. DH alters the soundscape quite drastically, which can (even for me) be jarring/off putting at first.

If Creative made an SBX device for consoles, I would most definitely be interested in it.

Also, this is more comparing THX Tru Studio vs SBX at default surround and max vs DH-2.

DH-1 is actually quite articulate, and closer to the refinement of the Creative offerings, but the soundstage is smaller. DH-2 is still the best trade off for Dolby Headphone, IMHO.

I agree with all of that ^

I think you should copy/past put that somewhere in the front post , probably to the FAQ section - so next time someone asks you "MLE, how would you compare SBX/THX/etc. and Dolby Headphone?" you can just say, "Read the FAQ".

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #25,174 of 48,566
True. I'll see about putting it today... just remind me if I get too lazy. :frowning2:

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #25,175 of 48,566
Also @Mad Lust Envy, did you ever have luck finding an optical switch that worked well?

I want something so I can switch between my Xonar U3 and Sound Blaster Z (both go to the D03K but I have to switch cords - tough on the jack).

I know the cheap passive ones on monoprice are pretty flaky, but the powered ones seem better.

Something like this maybe.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #25,176 of 48,566
Also @Mad Lust Envy
, did you ever have luck finding an optical switch that worked well?

I want something so I can switch between my Xonar U3 and Sound Blaster Z (both go to the D03K but I have to switch cords - tough on the jack).

I know the cheap passive ones on monoprice are pretty flaky, but the powered ones seem better.

Something like this maybe.

This is the one I have. Works like a mother-effing dream... but it's $30-ish...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQ2R38C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm positive it's the same as yours, just different branding. Most likely same OEM.

Get it. Makes things SO much easier. Comes with the remote, even if it ain't pictured.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #25,177 of 48,566
This is the one I have. Works like a mother-effing dream... but it IS costly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQ2R38C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm positive it's the same as yours, just different branding. Most likely same OEM.

Get it. Makes things SO much easier.

Cool.

Yeah, that looks like identical to the one I linked.  just rebrands coming from the same OEM.

Kind of funny that the switch is more expensive than my actual D03K DAC
tongue.gif
, but I guess that's the price for a working one.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #25,178 of 48,566
Yeah. It hurt forking over $30, but at that point, the convenience, and the years of manual labor made it a wise choice. Those products seem to have basically no defects, compared to the manual ones which I just couldn't get to work long enough to recommend.

I actually have it running to my Mixamp 5.8 which then feeds to the Pioneer soundbar (via the 5.8's toslink passthrough), so I get both the 5.8 being switched as well the Pioneer. Headaches over. I never, ever turn off my Tx unit, so no dropped audio.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #25,179 of 48,566
Ok, so I was testing out the Dualshock 4 with the PC (as well as with Xpadder), and it makes a better controller than the 360 pad. The triggers aren't digital, so they register with more content, and you gain a few more buttons than the 360 pad. My first test was Mass Effect 3 demo, which as you may know, EA/Bioware was stupid enough to not include native pad support. After a few hours of tweaking (I'm crazy), I was able to get a scheme good enough to make ME3 playable, with a few annoying quirks, like having to swap your teammates powers VERY slowly. Adjusting the mouse speed in Xpadder made the game a lot more playable than even on the 360 pad, which you still would've needed a keyboard around for special attack shortcuts.

After all that testing, I still wouldn't get Mass Effect on PC because it's just awkward doing certain things with non-native pad support, like your in game dialogue decisions.

I will never, ever play a game with a Keyboard and Mouse. Just... don't argue with me on this. Controllers for life.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #25,180 of 48,566
*bump* can someone help me to find a soundcard, i don't prefer CSM3 or DH. I just wanna have a good soundquality with a nice soundstage. headphone's k702 and dt770 are my favorits i am testing some headphones soon. (Dt770,880,990,sehnneheiser hd598,600,akg q701,k702)

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #25,181 of 48,566
The SBX slider towards 100% actually does stronger blending and gives a more enveloping soundfield. The default at 67% is the best start to get the feel of SBX. From there you can go up and adjust your preferences (aka losing accuracy for more engulfment). Don't see the benefit of going below that value. 

Imo SBX also appeals to ex-CMSS-3D users better, not only due to better SQ but also because of the clarity and accuracy of cues they are used to, You win in all those categories but lose legacy. That's where the magic of SBX unfortunately falls short. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #25,182 of 48,566
The SBX slider towards 100% actually does stronger blending and gives a more enveloping soundfield. The default at 67% is the best start to get the feel of SBX. From there you can go up and adjust your preferences (aka losing accuracy for more engulfment). Don't see the benefit of going below that value. 

Imo SBX also appeals to ex-CMSS-3D users better, not only due to better SQ but also because of the clarity and accuracy of cues they are used to, You win in all those categories but lose legacy. That's where the magic of SBX unfortunately falls short. 

Yeah, but not on the level of Dolby Headphone which is still the more immersive DSP. I'm still very aware it's headphones, whereas DH throws away the headphone characteristics entirely.

Beyerdynamic's Headzone is also more like Dolby headphone than like the Creative offerings, with even more refinement and less processed sound. Too bad on it's absurd pricing.

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #25,183 of 48,566
Well, if you dissect DHP in a simple way you have bass boost, hall/echo effect for a grander illusion of space (in correlation with the speaker room feeling), speaker room presence with a fixed profile that is less "anechoic" than SBX or CMSS-3D and KEF-like broad projection of sound. 

Bass boost adds to the grand/large experience. Recently I watched The Raid 2 in 2 different cinemas and the former presentation had more bass while the rest was on the same level for both. The former cinema delivered the better experience and was more immersive, no matter what scene. Rama's boxing against the wall, literally every fight, drum part of the music was much better. The boost itself was not overblown, it was slightly but it changed the whole experience. This is also something that DHP makes use of and creates a grander experience. 

If we agree on the cinematic effect then I support your notion of immersion but I don't want to be in the cinema when playing games. I want to have a sharper sense of the surroundings as games are dynamic and less movie-like. That's a preference thing. SBX is more "anechoic", that might lead to the "drier" experience if I get it right. In the end it's also just a speaker room. 

Ultimately HRTF for games will rely on geo/xyz data (again). To create a better feel of the surroundings, above you, below. No more 5.1 speakers but as an approximative which it'll always be with ten times the amount of them, surrounding you. Like Dolby Atmos. So more power to VR (though I want to reap the benefits without VR).

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #25,184 of 48,566
But listen to how good the SBX Pro DSP sounds!!

It sounds so good, it almost sounds.......binaural.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #25,185 of 48,566
It really does sound binaural. Yet, it still sounds like I'm wearing headphones, lol. That's what appeals to me DH. It doesn't. Needless to say, I'm not debating. I think SBX is the best overall. It's the best well rounded DSP of the 3 that I like. I really, really did not like CMSS-3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back