Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #23,656 of 48,564

I thought the idea of the new device was to take on the Mixamp and its rivals.

It is.

The mixamp and DSS both have hissy DAC sections.  At the very least this proposed new device would need a decent "audiophile" grade DAC.  Digital output would add more flexibility for those who want to use their own DAC though.

May 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #23,657 of 48,564
It is.

The mixamp and DSS both have hissy DAC sections.  At the very least this proposed new device would need a decent "audiophile" grade DAC.  Digital output would add more flexibility for those who want to use their own DAC though.

That's why I love the Omni so far. Digital out and no audible hiss. The Mixamp 2013's hiss is very noticeable but not bad when I'm only gaming with it. I definitely prefer the Omni for everything else though.

May 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #23,658 of 48,564
It's too bad the Omni doesn't have an optical input.

May 8, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #23,659 of 48,564
  It's too bad the Omni doesn't have an optical input.

You mean for using with a console like the Recon3D?  Yeah, it would be nice.  I've used both on my computer and the Omni sounds noticeably better than the Recon.  Maybe they'll go back to that when the next gen comes out (yeah right).

I'm still naively holding out hope that the PS4 and Xbone will introduce built-in virtual surround through the controllers so we can stop worrying about Mixamps and such...

May 8, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #23,660 of 48,564
I like having one for PC (Omni) and one for console (Mixamp). On PC, I don't chat as much so the built in mic on the Omni should be okay in a pinch and it's a lot better for music. For the Mixamp, it's nice to have the chat and volume mixer as I chat more on console. Plus, it saves a ton of cable switching when I decide to switch from PC to console and back. The Mixamp isn't that great on PC but works great on console. The Omni does everything great on PC but can't be used on console. Best of both worlds with the two!

May 9, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #23,661 of 48,564
Just asking Evshrugs thoughts on the K612..i can tell he likes them!

So far, yes I do like them, very much. I haven't quantified them completely, except that they are very good, and when you factor in price then they are amazing! They work startlingly well with virtual surround FPS gaming, but I want to hear them with more of my music and maybe a movie...

I don't have the wired Mixamp, but on the Mixamp 5.8 the K612 dampens the hiss slightly more so it's slightly quieter than my Q's, but it's still not as powerful or clean as a discrete amp. Like gaming at 1080p resolution, but low graphics settings. The DSS has a bit less hiss, but still... amping improves soundstage, separation, and authority to the bottom end. You might be happy enough just for gaming, but an amp just makes things nicer.

That's why I love the Omni so far. Digital out and no audible hiss. The Mixamp 2013's hiss is very noticeable but not bad when I'm only gaming with it. I definitely prefer the Omni for everything else though.

A firmware update got rid of popping issues I was having, but I still haven't gotten my optical out working.

May 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #23,662 of 48,564
A firmware update got rid of popping issues I was having, but I still haven't gotten my optical out working.

Have you tried setting the Optical Out as your default sound device in the Windows sound settings? There are different options for if you are just using the analog and headphone jacks or if you are bypassing the Omni and using a DAC.

May 9, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #23,664 of 48,564

I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy with any of those.  They're all great for gaming.  What sound card are you using?  If you're not amping, you may want to avoid the AKG's.

I am using the integrated sound-card on the New Razer Blade 14; and I am weary about procuring an amp mainly because I don't want to be dealing with an extra component for a laptop.  I understand the benefits of the amp - but assuming I do not have one -- I am trying to figure out what would be best for a computer gamer.  I have heard decent things about the Razer Kraken Pros and for 80 bucks they are a steal (I swear I am not a fanboy)...however I love the style of the q701s and reading the reviews it seems like a simple earcup switch with the 712s results in a much better investment than the 612s ~ but at the same time I am hearing no amp no AKG -- is this really true?

May 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #23,665 of 48,564
So far, yes I do like them, very much. I haven't quantified them completely, except that they are very good, and when you factor in price then they are amazing! They work startlingly well with virtual surround FPS gaming, but I want to hear them with more of my music and maybe a movie...

I don't have the wired Mixamp, but on the Mixamp 5.8 the K612 dampens the hiss slightly more so it's slightly quieter than my Q's, but it's still not as powerful or clean as a discrete amp. Like gaming at 1080p resolution, but low graphics settings. The DSS has a bit less hiss, but still... amping improves soundstage, separation, and authority to the bottom end. You might be happy enough just for gaming, but an amp just makes things nicer.

The most standout things I personally noticed about them is their naturalness and transparency. From what I can tell they seem to be very close with my K712 in terms of sonic performance. But I am leaving the K612 alone for about a month or so, so that I can get acclimated with my K712 and put some heavy hours into the K712. Then I'll start listening to both again and decide which I actually prefer.

May 9, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #23,666 of 48,564
  I am using the integrated sound-card on the New Razer Blade 14; and I am weary about procuring an amp mainly because I don't want to be dealing with an extra component for a laptop.  I understand the benefits of the amp - but assuming I do not have one -- I am trying to figure out what would be best for a computer gamer.  I have heard decent things about the Razer Kraken Pros and for 80 bucks they are a steal (I swear I am not a fanboy)...however I love the style of the q701s and reading the reviews it seems like a simple earcup switch with the 712s results in a much better investment than the 612s ~ but at the same time I am hearing no amp no AKG -- is this really true?

Well, with headphone audio it usually goes like this - integrated soundcard <<< dedicated soundcard <<< dedicated HP system. YMMV obviously. Some headphones will benefit more from dedicated system, some less...
But an integrated soundcard is the single worst way you can plug your headphones in...
Unfortunately AKG is certainly a headphone I wouldn't wanna plug directly into an integrated soundcard that is not really made for headphones...
Why not get the Sony MA900 or even the Philips Fidelio X1 [pretty sure there are more out there!]? Those are both great headphones with similar price tags that'd work much better out of said device... a lot better than the Krakens.
I'd recommend getting the Asus Xonar U3 for these, it's just a USB dongle but has everything you need and powers most sensitive dynamic headphones well. AKGs really need at least a basic dedicated soundcard or portable/desktop amplifier, or at least a reasonably good DAP.

May 9, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #23,667 of 48,564
Yes, but not since I updated the Omni firmware. When I did that, I got stereo sound (unprocessed with surround) and bursts of static once a minute.

Okay... I may be able to help a bit. Here are a few things to check (chances are you already have them all set up properly though):

-Optical from Omni is set as default audio device (you confirmed that it was already)

-In "properties" when you right click on the Optical Out on Omni in the Windows sound panel, make sure Dolby Digital is checked and that 96 kHz is checked, make sure the default format is set to Dolby Digital Live in the "Advanced" tab

-Make sure that Dolby Digital live is ticked in the "Cinematic" tab of the Omni control panel

-Try checking the box that says "Allow audio to also be heard from S/PDIF out". Not sure if that would work or not so try it with it on and off

Again, just a few things to double check. Not quite sure what would be the root of the problem though. I haven't used the Optical Out port on my Omni yet.

One thing to note is that Razer headphones and headsets tend to have over bloated bass and it really drowns out the mids and highs. I tried out a pair of Krakens once and they didn't impress me one bit. As for the K712, you might not want to buy those if you are just running them off a laptop. I had to max out my desktop motherboard volume and they still weren't as loud as I would normally listen to headphones at. Also, with the K712 unamped, I noticed that there was quite a lot of sibilance, the highs were harsh and the bass seemed a little less controlled. When I got my Schiit Vali, all these issues disappeared. I have to agree with conquerator and recommend something like the X1 that can be run decently well without an amp. 

May 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #23,668 of 48,564
One thing to note is that Razer headphones and headsets tend to have over bloated bass and it really drowns out the mids and highs. I tried out a pair of Krakens once and they didn't impress me one bit. As for the K712, you might not want to buy those if you are just running them off a laptop. I had to max out my desktop motherboard volume and they still weren't as loud as I would normally listen to headphones at. Also, with the K712 unamped, I noticed that there was quite a lot of sibilance, the highs were harsh and the bass seemed a little less controlled. When I got my Schiit Vali, all these issues disappeared. I have to agree with conquerator and recommend something like the X1 that can be run decently well without an amp. 

Thank you I will look into the X1s

May 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #23,670 of 48,564
Thank you I will look into the X1s

X1 will get loud enough with no amp, but it won't sound its best. I'd suggest starting with the x1 and then maybe adding something like an audioquest dragonfly later.

BTW, I put mine back up on the classifieds with a price drop. It's boxed up in my car ready to ship today. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back