Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 23, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #19,291 of 48,583
Well, that sucks. I wonder if I've got a spare Bulletstorm code in one of my many indie bundles...doesn't seem like it, though.

By the way, Battlefield 2 just won the Steam Community's Choice poll; you've all got a bit under 8 hours to get one of the best entries in the series for $5!

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #19,292 of 48,583
By the way, Battlefield 2 just won the Steam Community's Choice poll; you've all got a bit under 8 hours to get one of the best entries in the series for $5!

I voted for it
wink.gif
- even though I don't really play Battlefield.  Seemed like a nice bundle for the price

Also, don't tempt me....
ph34r.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #19,293 of 48,583

As was mentioned a few page ago, the G4ME ZERO is overpriced as it is a re-release of an existing headset.

The HD558 is essentially the same headphone (but open) and is a good choice for home use.  I would not use it in public as there will be sound leakage.

Figure out which surround sound DSP you prefer (Dolby Headphone, CMSS, SBX Pro, etc.) and then get whichever card offers that.  I would not recommened getting both a Magni and a card like the STX, because you will be paying twice for two amplifiers when you only need one. 

If it were me I would either get the HD558 + a Xonar DGX or Sound Blaster Z.  If you want more amp you can add a Magni, but the HD558s are not that hard to drive.

What do you think about the PC 360 and how could i get any better than those, because if you dont recommend using the 558 outside, il just get a proper headset with a sound card the only headphone that i like based on how it looks are the AKG Q701, but at the end, all the sennheiser's headphones and headset are the same apparenly, im not a proffesional gamer, but i do love a surround experience in games like dead space, diablo, battlefield etc etc.. i just want to invest in something very good in sound quality and something that looks good with the theme of PC, to be honest i do care about that, because i've been trying to match everything, 558 are meh, they do not match but are okay, neutral color, AKG q701 looks good, g4me zero looks beast and so are the A40, you guys are not giving me the confidence that ill get an awesome sound experience with that HD 558, also what if i plug any of those headphones into a laptop and not my pc? will they sucks. then is not worth it.. 

About the DSP, i havent tried any of those to be honest, i just have my mobo p8z77 v-pro which soundcard apparently sucks and do not support any of ddl or dolby headphone, im just reading and watching reviews trying to look for something Very good, that'll blow my mind, like i said before, i've never had good headphone/set.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #19,294 of 48,583
  What do you think about the PC 360 and how could i get any better than those, because if you dont recommend using the 558 outside, il just get a proper headset with a sound card the only headphone that i like based on how it looks are the AKG Q701, but at the end, all the sennheiser's headphones and headset are the same apparenly, im not a proffesional gamer, but i do love a surround experience in games like dead space, diablo, battlefield etc etc.. i just want to invest in something very good in sound quality and something that looks good with the theme of PC, to be honest i do care about that, because i've been trying to match everything, 558 are meh, they do not match but are okay, neutral color, AKG q701 looks good, g4me zero looks beast and so are the A40, you guys are not giving me the confidence that ill get an awesome sound experience with that HD 558, also what if i plug any of those headphones into a laptop and not my pc? will they sucks. then is not worth it.. 

About the DSP, i havent tried any of those to be honest, i just have my mobo p8z77 v-pro which soundcard apparently sucks and do not support any of ddl or dolby headphone, im just reading and watching reviews trying to look for something Very good, that'll blow my mind, like i said before, i've never had good headphone/set.

I use the sennheiser u320 headset with a arcam r dac..they sound good together!

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #19,295 of 48,583
Hi, Mad Lust Envy. I believe you are keeping a sample Alpha Dog from the tour to review so I beg you please do some comparing to HD650 because I am in a situation to consider which can should I buy. My main point is to buy a headphone which can delivery better mids/vocals between the HD650 the Alpha Dog, and I think you are the one (could be the one with few other people) who can describe the sound better to my ears. Thanks very much.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #19,297 of 48,583
The HD650 has better mids for me, as they sound more organic and intimate. The Alpha Dog is more a jack of all trades. a very fantastic one, but the neutral voicing doesn't beat the HD650's more warm, natural mids. Still, very, very good mids on the AD.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #19,298 of 48,583
Loving my new Philips X1 out of my SBZ - great set of phones - but the bass is a bit sloppy on some tracks I'm afraid. New cable coming soon. Still though.. could happily listen to them all day. One thing.. was lazily watching DayZ: SA twitch earlier, and in stereo - it's really good - even the cues at 5 and 7 O'clock. Sweet as.

One thing though.. I've got a bit of hearing damage (peskie crewing for bands in my youth), therefore I really ought to have got myself a bright set of phones (if indeed they would help at all). Basically my ears naturally roll off the treble - not hugely - but enough to notice, and the X1's are a slightly muffled to me up there. A Sabre Compass 2 is winging it's way toward me atm, but I never thought they'd really help too much with the X1's (it's a purchase for the future). Maybe I ought to grab a pair of DT 990's or equivelent.. I'd be willing to pay more if it does the trick - any ideas???.. do AKG's have better treble - I mean distinctly better??  Has to be good at games ofc
redface.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #19,299 of 48,583
So in the end, I ended up fully playing through Bulletstorm... though the censoring left a really bad taste... and it's such a pretty cool FPS too. Positional cues were really good as well.

Now, on to Castlevania: LOS on PC. Loved the PS3 version, now I wanna see it in all it's intended glory.

This is all a good test for the Alpha Dog which is doing things amazingly well. I'm feeling a full suite of 8-8.5s across the board.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #19,300 of 48,583
Mad Lust Envy, i'll trust your opinion because you like gaming! I've read all the threads and god im tired..
I want a good headset or headphone for my games such as battefield, dead space 3, diablo etc etc.. i want something to blow my mind! I;ve never had any good headphone other than the samsung or ipod in ear headphones lol.. 

But i also want a good looking headphone/set SO AD7000, HD598, and those beyerdynamics are out of the way, the theme of my pc is Black/White i would love to have headphones in those colors it doest matter to me :)

i have 360 - 400$ to invest on.. At first i wanted Astro a40 +mix amp But the need of a sound card changed my mind ( they are perfect for my pc though) and since " i could get something better than those headset i started to look further..)

then i saw G4ME ZERO they look also perfect! but they are hella expensive, they look exactly the same as the 360 but cost 120$ more, unless i find something that proves that they are worth it i wont buy them ( but im in love with them )

There's a guy who have helped me a lot in the forums called Purple Angel, he told me to buy 
HD558 + Asus D1 (since i only have the soundcard of my mobo P8Z77 V-PRO) + magni headphone amp) i dont like so much the 558 and they arent the best thing out there apparently

Then i saw the AKG Q701 i love the white version and they are apparently good, but ill have to buy some amps to play with my pc and my phone.

Help me decide please... i dont have a dedicated sound card, never had an amp, and 360 - 400$ budget.. maybe i could get g4me zero + titanium HD / STX, or Q701 with those E07 amps and a cheap sound card.. or maybe the ASTRO with a asus d1 which support DDL, but mobo do not support DDL, that's why im fcked, but the major flaw on the Astro is the fact that i has so many bad reviews about the mic and bad products

I appreciate your time. 
Thanks in advance. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #19,301 of 48,583
Rialius, I would try and forget the G4ME ZERO, as it's overpriced.  Same thing with the A40.

PC360 = G4ME ZERO.  HD558 might be slightly better than both.

The Q701 is better than those Sennheisers IMO. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #19,302 of 48,583
  Rialius, I would try and forget the G4ME ZERO, as it's overpriced.  Same thing with the A40.

PC360 = G4ME ZERO.  HD558 might be slightly better than both.

The Q701 is better than those Sennheisers IMO.

Q701 better game wise?, if i go for the q701, should i stay with my onboard sound card? do i need an amp? if im going headphone ill use them for outside too.., which is better to buy a soundcard or amp? the q701 costs 211$, which left me with 150$-189$

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #19,303 of 48,583
Q701 is Amazing, game wise... and with what you have left over you can get a FiiO E12 for now. It is both portable and powerful enough to drive them efficiently. Some may say get the E9K if you prefer a desktop amp, but I personally didn't like that pairing.

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #19,304 of 48,583

Q701 better game wise?, if i go for the q701, should i stay with my onboard sound card? do i need an amp? if im going headphone ill use them for outside too.., which is better to buy a soundcard or amp? the q701 costs 211$, which left me with 150$-189$

Yes.

I would get an inexpensive desktop amp like the Magni to go with the Q701. 

Your going to need a soundcard regardless if you want virtual surround sound (which I recommend).  So I would get an inexpensive soundcard for the surround sound processing and then let the Magni do the amping.

I would get Q701 + Magni + FiiO D3K + Sound Blaster Z (OEM version) OR Xonar DGX.  You hook them up in that order too.  The total for all that gear will be ~400.  Get the Xonar DGX if you like Dolby Headphone and the Sound Blaster Z OEM if you like SBX Pro. 

Any and all of these open headphones are going to leak, so I wouldn't recommend using them outside/around other people.  I would just get a separate pair of cheaper headphones with  better isolation for that.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #19,305 of 48,583

Yes.

I would get an inexpensive desktop amp like the Magni to go with the Q701. 

Your going to need a soundcard regardless if you want virtual surround sound (which I recommend).  So I would get an inexpensive soundcard for the surround sound processing and then let the Magni do the amping.

I would get Q701 + Magni + FiiO D3K + Sound Blaster Z (OEM version) OR Xonar DGX.  You hook them up in that order too.  The total for all that gear will be ~400.  Get the Xonar DGX if you like Dolby Headphone and the Sound Blaster Z OEM if you like SBX Pro. 

Any and all of these open headphones are going to leak, so I wouldn't recommend using them outside/around other people.  I would just get a separate pair of cheaper headphones with  better isolation for that.

I definitely want surround sound, that's the main reason of why im buying headphone/set thing is that i dont want to buy something to improve later on, i want to buy good gear and then later on buy what's needed.. will i get a better sound with a very good card like STX - Titanium HD or Asus Phoebus with a Headphone/set with no amp?

I didnt want a headphone at first, i wanted headset because the main purpose is for gaming, but IF im buying a headphone (nomic) then it would be better to be one that i can use outside.. If it wont be good to play outside then ill just save the money and buy a headset..

Card + headphone/set 
or it'll be better the 3 of them..

I want something portable, because i wont be always on a PC sometimes i play on a laptop.. What do you think of those Sennheiser USB 7.1 DOlby.. ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back