Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #19,277 of 48,583
No, no choice. Mine is 2 channel, period. I have everything set to 5.1 on the Recon's properties (Dolby D, DTS as well), but when I hit the spdif out, it's 2 channels.

I'll see if I can confirm it with my Mixamp attached to it.

It's like when my Xonar U3 goes up to 16bit/192khz. That high a khz rating implies multiple speakers. The Recon only goes up to 24bit/48khz.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #19,279 of 48,583
Axel, if you're sending the signal via toslink, that implies it hasn't been converted from digital to analog yet. However, the U3 HAS converted the Dolby Digital signal into Dolby headphone digitally. So yes, the E17's DAC is being used in this instance, though the U3 is the one converting DD into DH.

This is why I really like the U3. It's cheap, and you're still using your own DAC/AMP. No need to spend more than the U3 since all you're using it for is as a means to get DD into DH.

Just have to make sure you have a DAC with an spdif input., and that the U3's software is toggled to send an optical/pcm signal.

Also, pretty sure the Xonar DG is the internal equivalent. Same specs.

The pic, I usually have the controller thing switched on, though it doesn't make a difference. It just puts DH into DH2 mode automatically, which I set manually anyway, so it's the same thing.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #19,280 of 48,583
That's exactly what I was looking to find out. So you can use a better DAC and still get the DH out of the U3. That's excellent. I never tried that combination when I had the U3 before. Obviously you're running digital over toslink. My ears can't decode light, though I'd love if they could. It won't replace my Recon3D but I may get a U3 to use as for DH and run it off my MBP's dock. Of course I could only use it in Windows but it's not a pricey piece of kit.

That means that I can go computer>U3>Geek Pulse>headphones. Awesome. Now I'm wondering if my Recon3D can do mini-toslink out to get THX to the Pulse. I don't think it can. Oh well.

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #19,281 of 48,583
  Audio Technica ATH-A900X, sell used on eBay for $150
Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping.
Most headphones come with the 3.5mm 1/8" stereo mini-jack.

Adding an Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27, might improve audio quality with the PC.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any difference between the sound card you mentioned and this one? http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DGX-PCI-E-GX2-5-Engine/dp/B007TMZ1BK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387763475&sr=8-2&keywords=Asus+Xonar+DG+sound+card Because I only have a free PCI-E slot. Also after reading some reviews on the ASUS sound cards it seems they have issues with Windows 8-8.1 which is what I am using. Have you heard anything about that?

I'd also like to thank you for your headphone suggestion but after doing some more research I think I've narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD 558 and the Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro. Do you have any knowledge or opinions on either of them? Thanks again.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #19,283 of 48,583
Guys I am looking for the best Gaming sound quality but also for good looking headphone/set at first (2 weeks ago) I was about to buy the G4ME ZERO  because they are the latest thing out there.. i still want.. because they look awesome and they are sennheiser.. but asking, searching, watching reviews.. it is so damm hard to make a choice.. i also look for the A40 but my sound card to not support DDL.. after 2 weeks I am between this set up 

-HD558 ( PROS = Apparently sounds well, and will have the surround experience im looking for in FPS games, i'll be able to use them outside since it has no mic CONS = they dont match my pc. and i dont know if they are the best in terms of sound quality for fps, mmorpg gaming )

-Asus XONAR D1 or STX or Titanium HD( which is apparently the best for gaming)

-Magni headphone Amp

That set up unless i find that is worth paying for the G4ME ZERO, they are expensive i know, but they must be better than the hd558 and the PC360 (judging by the price) i mean they do not come with USB 7.1 they look the same as the 360 and they are 120$ more expensive? there must be somethng better "amazing" 

i can spend 400$ on a very good sound system, i could also spend on the ZERO (if they are good) and later on buy an amp or soundcard, w.e is needed, because i only have the p8z77vpro onboard sound card.. 

What do you think guys help me out.. 

Edit: I also checked that the AD7000 are the best but they are ugly as hell, and the 598 are apparently better than an unmodded 558 but they are ugly as hell too.. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #19,284 of 48,583
  Guys I am looking for the best Gaming sound quality but also for good looking headphone/set at first (2 weeks ago) I was about to buy the G4ME ZERO  because they are the latest thing out there.. i still want.. because they look awesome and they are sennheiser.. but asking, searching, watching reviews.. it is so damm hard to make a choice.. i also look for the A40 but my sound card to not support DDL.. after 2 weeks I am between this set up 

-HD558 ( PROS = Apparently sounds well, and will have the surround experience im looking for in FPS games, i'll be able to use them outside since it has no mic CONS = they dont match my pc. and i dont know if they are the best in terms of sound quality for fps, mmorpg gaming )

-Asus XONAR D1 or STX or Titanium HD( which is apparently the best for gaming)

-Magni headphone Amp

That set up unless i find that is worth paying for the G4ME ZERO, they are expensive i know, but they must be better than the hd558 and the PC360 (judging by the price) i mean they do not come with USB 7.1 they look the same as the 360 and they are 120$ more expensive? there must be somethng better "amazing" 

i can spend 400$ on a very good sound system, i could also spend on the ZERO (if they are good) and later on buy an amp or soundcard, w.e is needed, because i only have the p8z77vpro onboard sound card.. 

What do you think guys help me out.. 

Edit: I also checked that the AD7000 are the best but they are ugly as hell, and the 598 are apparently better than an unmodded 558 but they are ugly as hell too.. 

As was mentioned a few page ago, the G4ME ZERO is overpriced as it is a re-release of an existing headset.

The HD558 is essentially the same headphone (but open) and is a good choice for home use.  I would not use it in public as there will be sound leakage.

Figure out which surround sound DSP you prefer (Dolby Headphone, CMSS, SBX Pro, etc.) and then get whichever card offers that.  I would not recommened getting both a Magni and a card like the STX, because you will be paying twice for two amplifiers when you only need one. 

If it were me I would either get the HD558 + a Xonar DGX or Sound Blaster Z.  If you want more amp you can add a Magni, but the HD558s are not that hard to drive.

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #19,285 of 48,583
  If it were me I would either get the HD558 + a Xonar DGX or Sound Blaster Z.  If you want more amp you can add a Magni, but the HD558s are not that hard to drive.

Do you know of people who have used the 50-Ohm HD558 with the Sound Blaster Z built in headphone amplifier.
The combo seems like a great bargain, but wonder how the 50-Ohm HD558 deal the with SB-Z's headphone output impedance of 22-Ohms?

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #19,286 of 48,583
  Do you know of people who have used the 50-Ohm HD558 with the Sound Blaster Z built in headphone amplifier.
The combo seems like a great bargain, but wonder how the 50-Ohm HD558 deal the with SB-Z's headphone output impedance of 22-Ohms?

In that case, perhaps he should just add an external amp to bypass the SBZ's ouput impedance. 

He could also bypass the the SBZ's DAC if he wanted by picking up a FiiO D3K, although I'm not sure how much if any improvement that would offer.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #19,287 of 48,583
Mle, I see that your u3 console interface is different from mine.

This will not affect DH performance I guess?

It's the sme. If you switch off Dolby Headphone, then turn it back on, you'll see it's the same. The U3 software defaults to showing you the virtual speaker shifter screen. That's normal.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #19,288 of 48,583
Freaking upset. So I bought Bulletstorm off Gamefly, and the kew/download was for the censored version. All the language is there, but there is no blood, no impalement, no gore, etc. A LOT of what makes the game what it is is the voilence and how you can rack up crazy kills. Well, my copy is as generic as it comes. I tried to dispute this to get my money back or at least give me the proper download file, but they pretty much told me to go **** myself.

This is aggravating, as this game is pretty awesome, and I got shafted with a half assed censored version. It's almost funny how bad it is with its lack of ANYTHING. Even the in game descriptions tell you that an enemy got dismembered, head blown off, yet the body is perfectly intact.

So, so mad.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #19,289 of 48,583
That's really lame. 

Sounds like playing Gears of War with the gore OFF, where you chainsaw someone and sparks shoot out and everyone just ragdolls around instead of gibbing to bits.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #19,290 of 48,583
That's really lame. 

Sounds like playing Gears of War with the gore OFF, where you chainsaw someone and sparks shoot out and everyone just ragdolls around instead of gibbing to bits.

I don't even get sparks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back